Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

TDV6 preventative big end bearing replacement in situ.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
longclose

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
TDV6 preventative big end bearing replacement in situ.

So I am looking towards preventative maintenance on ny Disco 3 2008 to avoid the time bomb syndrome of failed crank and bearings, especially in South Africa.

Have replaced big end bearing in situ on m D2 TD5 when I did the head gasket as well as the clutch.

There is a post on the forum that says it is easy to remove sump, so before I adventure into the unknown would like to know if anyone else has undertaken this preventative task on a D3?

Post #144255014th Mar 2015 1:21 pm
longclose

OK so 97 views but no responses.. surely someone has tried this operation - or will I have to be the first?

I am a newby to the D3 and TDV6, however I am alarmed at the oil filter location on top of the V of the TDV6 engine (almost reminds me of the Triumph stag water pump for those that are old enough).

Oil pick up from sump.. up through to pump... up through to filter fill filter (I would hope it has a one way valve Rolling Eyes ) ... down though oil gallery into crank... wondered why it took 2-3 seconds for oil light to go out on first fire in the morning.

No one else spotted this.. is this perhaps the cause of the dreaded bearing failure. If so never buy a low mileage TDv6 Chelsea tractor.

Boundry lubrication for 2 + seconds twice a day (school run) for maybe 3 years 300*2*3=1800 half an hour relying on boundry lubrication. Out of warranty.. £5k+ pls from Mr independent.

Post #144291015th Mar 2015 7:36 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think you will be the first. Thumbs Up

(anyone got a guinea pig icon? 8) )

Post #144291515th Mar 2015 7:55 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Seriously though, there are plenty of horror stories on here about oil filters that are not fitted correctly, causing crank failure. If the spigot on the filter is not in the socket at the bottom of the housing, the filter gets crushed and hey presto BANG!

Post #144291615th Mar 2015 7:58 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #144291815th Mar 2015 7:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
longclose

Ok before my potential theory gets bombed out here and on the 4x4 SA forum, could the members, /experts/independents provide a concensus if any vehicles that do day to day do high mileage have experienced crankshaft/bearing failure.

Lets be clear I am referring to vehicles owned from day 1 and serviced with specified oil and service interval. If so it may be possible to statistically identify when bearing failure/slip will occur purely around my boundry lubrication theory. My prevention suggestion then would come into play work for indies and owners who can sleep at night.

I am fed up of Landrover D3/D4 owners being scared to start their cars in the morning for fear of a £5k+ bill. Ok from my perspective great as I just picked up two cheap D3 SE in South Africa (20% cheaper than the UK) because everyone is running scared.

Post #144292515th Mar 2015 8:25 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I don't have the exact stats, but its a very low failure rate on the grand scheme of things. I personally have had 2 x D3, each one doing in excess of 120k, with just routine servicing, and one of them is still going strong with its new owner 2 years later.

I think that using high quality oil, genuine filter, correctly fitted is all you can do.

Post #144293115th Mar 2015 8:46 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've owned mine 10 years, 170k on the clock and just routine servicing. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #144293315th Mar 2015 8:55 am
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I never give a thought, just get in and start the engine. I have run D3s for 10 years now, a variety of vehicle between 30K and 200K and never had a problem. The 200K vehicle took a fraction longer for the oil light to go out if left standing for more than 4 or 5 days, obviously drain back.

Post #144293415th Mar 2015 8:56 am
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

139000mls on my clock & sounds sweet so off with the caravan to the south of France and Italy a bit later on in the year Thumbs Up

Post #144293615th Mar 2015 9:01 am
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

longclose wrote:

Oil pick up from sump.. up through to pump... up through to filter fill filter (I would hope it has a one way valve Rolling Eyes ) ... down though oil gallery into crank... wondered why it took 2-3 seconds for oil light to go out on first fire in the morning.

If your oil light is taking 2-3 seconds to go out it needs investigating as that is to long, but I would be looking at the oil filter (as mentioned by Gareth) and the oil pump first. The oil pump could be worn, they are relatively inexpensive and can be replaced when the cam belt is being replaced.

I know of someone who fitted a filter incorrectly(Not me honest) and had the oil light come on while driving, the vehicle was recovered and a new filter fitted correctly but who knows how much wear/ damage was caused so that engine could be a ticking timebomb. Other people have notice oil light taking longer to go off after a service and found an incorrectly fitted crushed filter. It is easy to do if you don't have the correct info.

Any of us who buy second-hand vehicles have know idea if something like has happened in the past. It may be possible that a fair number of these crank/bearing failures are due to issues such as an incorrectly fitted filter in earlier life.

Stu.

Post #144293915th Mar 2015 9:06 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

You might like to read this article:-

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2014/11/pe...g-systems/

and this & the related thread:-

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic82688.html?highlight=accusump

Fitting an Accusump has many advantages detailed above.

In the alternative an electric pre-start oil pump is a cheaper option:-

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/o...c-oil-pump

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #144297615th Mar 2015 10:26 am
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: TDV6 preventative big end bearing replacement in situ.

longclose wrote:
So I am looking towards preventative maintenance on ny Disco 3 2008 to avoid the time bomb syndrome of failed crank and bearings, especially in South Africa.

Have replaced big end bearing in situ on m D2 TD5 when I did the head gasket as well as the clutch.

There is a post on the forum that says it is easy to remove sump, so before I adventure into the unknown would like to know if anyone else has undertaken this preventative task on a D3?

It's possible to change the big end bearings in most engines by dropping the sump, like you would have done on your D2. I can't see why the TDV6 is any different, space might be one restriction though. Main bearings can also be changed on some engines but I don't think this is possible on the TDV6 with bearings 1 and 4. Bearings 2 and 3 could be checked for wear and movement simply by removing the cap bolts and looking. There's no " black magic" with the TDV6 bottom end, it's just a V6.

I've a theory on bearing failure, particularly the big ends. Say a main bearing has begun to turn, reducing oil flow to the bearing. The big end or ends fed by that main bearing obviously gets reduced oil flow. This might not be a major problem at low revs as there is enough oil flow to lube the bearing. However if the engine is revved higher than normal, centrifugal force throws the oil out of the big ends. Rev the engine high enough and the oil supplied by the smaller oil way simply isn't enough to protect the either the main or big end bearings. This is where I believe problem starts. I used to run a high revving engine fitted a Hillman Avenger "don't laugh" . This engine did suffer pressure drop at 7500+ Rpm. Running it up to 8500 caused the pressure to drop by 60%. Obviously this wasn't good for the bearings. Interstinglly the mains suffered the most wear. I suspect that the big ends were out stripping the mains of oil due to centrifugal force acting on the oil in the crank drilling. My theory was proved correct by cross drilling the crank. This relatively easy operation maintained oil pressure in the bearings, well above the engines peak power.

Obviously the TDV6 doesn't rev anything like as high as a petrol racing engine but the theory is possibly valid. The TDV6 has a much longer stroke, enhancing the centrifugal effect. The other thing I feel is a problem with the TDV6 is filter location and type. It's paper element mounted at the top of the engine. This is far from ideal if you are looking for oil pressure while cranking. In fact I've not seen a TDV6 extinguish it's oil light until the engine is running. This is not good for any engine "remember the Triumph Six death rattle?" Same type of filter, with daft filter location.
I feel that the TDV6 would be better served oil wise, if the filter was a non return cartridge, mounted on the oil pump housing, like most other engines use. Bearing failure with modern oils simply shouldn't happen.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #144299015th Mar 2015 11:13 am
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As my previous posts says 139000 mls my oil light was taking 4/5 seconds to go out oil pump changed 2/3 seconds can't see any damage being done as the oil is always going to leave a coating on or in the lubrication areas required by the engine, the only way to find out is to fit a oil pressure gauge and testing, but as I've been in the Land Rovers warranty warehouse and looked at the amount of failed parts,I thought what have I done buying a D3 then I am told that they were from all over the world & some of the engines had only been on testing benches I cried as they were being crushed so all in all so many out there running not failing Thumbs Up

Post #144299715th Mar 2015 11:44 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Theres lot and lots of vehicles out there with the same oil filter set up as the D3, ie in the V or high mounted.

Post #144303315th Mar 2015 12:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >