Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

One year of ownership
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jumpinjack

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
One year of ownership

Very nervous typing this, as not wanting to pre-empt some major mechanical failure or imminent breakdown but I feel posts like this, giving a real life ownership perspective are of value to perspective purchasers.

I bought my 55 plate, 06my Buck Blue HSE this week one year ago. Budget was tight having bought this car to replace a stolen vehicle, we where also in the middle of a family relocation from Northern Ireland to Southampton. As such I was in the market for high mileage/early models and I thought most probably low spec.

Searched all the usual advertising sources over several weeks and eventually found a car on Gumtree within 40 miles. The car was really well priced, came from a 3 car family had an extensive maintenance history (almost all main dealer) and had been replaced with a new Range Rover. It had been bought new, a one owner vehicle. It did have 162k miles and the owner was honest that it would fail it's MOT and pointed out why, issues with the forward suspension, one tyre and an iffy bonnet catch. The HSE refinements where brilliant though.

I replaced the tyre and ran it as was for two months until the MOT was due, it did fail and provided Geoff with a work list. Front lower arms replaced, bonnet catch 'tinkered with', car serviced and MOT passed all in the region of 700quid which included upgrading the software to allow Bluetooth to work with my iPhone (not too bad). During the summer had to have the air con recharged to keep it coooool Confused

I have travelled roughly 10k miles since I have had it, including a round trip to Ireland. And the cars only failing in the year has been a battery, failed to start at home one morning, advanced factors checked battery for me, though not dead was on its way out so I had a new one (again cheaper than expected). I had an airbag warning light Pop up on one occasion, refered nervously to this site- taking advice moved the drivers seat all the way in, made sure no wires caught, back to position and no more light.
The front pads were well worn at purchase, when I eventually developed a distinctive whine from the brakes... so on Steve & Geoffs advice upgraded to V8 on the front.

Have carried out a few recent cosmetic mods using the guides on the site:Narpy grill, detango, new rear lights and upgraded my steering wheel. Sometimes having Advanced Factors a mile from the house is an advantage, sometimes not!
Also bought a used Thule bike carrier for the towbar which has been dead handy.

The car itself has been not only reliable but very versatile, in moving house it was a brilliant van and in the countless dump runs since it is perfect, I even managed to fit a whole wooden climbing frame and slide into it last weekend, and yet on a sunny Sunday with three kids and even the grandparents onboard, sun roof open it is perfect for family life.

Examined closely the paint is a bit shabby, she is almost 10 years old and well travelled but the other half loves it and it has been the perfect family vehicle this year.

Fuel consumption, in reality I have found a full tank on short town runs will do about 330-350 miles and if doing longer runs mainly 450-500 can be attained. The fuel price drop has been welcomed, but it is a heavy beast!

There is no doubt reading this site can make you nervous, and I am not too naive to believe she may not cost me a fortune tomorrow but to date all is good, maybe I got a good one - and it was a great car to buy (and fingers crossed may she have many more miles in her yet and hopefully I am posting a similar post in 12 months time Rolling with laughter )

Buck blue HSE. De-tango, MY14 rear LEDs, Narpy Grill in shadow chrome, Refurbished steering wheel (beanie), phone software upgrade (Geoff) V8 brake upgrade (Geoff), Gunmetal wheels  
Post #144918827th Mar 2015 10:50 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Nice story Thumbs Up Its good to hear about the cars that do not have problems, as they are in the majority...

Post #144918927th Mar 2015 10:55 am
Discogaz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Similar tale (so far) here.

Bought an 08 HSE with 85k on the clock a year ago and the only expense so far have been tires and a service, belts, oil and water pumps changed a few weeks ago by Geoff and Flack. it's just about to trip over 100k

I've got a knock over speed bumps which I hope the new ARB bushes will sort out but that aside, it's been a pleasant experience so far. I religiously put £100 a month aside for "extras" or surprises but I've been doing that for years (had a D2 for 13 years, so well trained).

Long may it continue.

Post #144919627th Mar 2015 11:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >