Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

MOT............Big woes....................
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

farmerboy wrote:
It looks like the various suspension bushes are "consumables"... although 72,000 miles is a bit of a poor show. I guess if you own a Landrover you learn to accept that much of the car is badly designed in terms of longevity - a warranty is essential!

I don't think it's badly designed. It's a trade off.
We want comfort and large articulation of the suspension.
With a 2.7t 4x4 the rubber bushes are going to wear out. I don't think 72k is bad, and the cost can be quite easily contained. We certainly expect our D3 to be among the most long-lived of our vehicles.
The only items I'm really rather disappointed with are the brake calipers and, if left to go out of adjustment, the EPB actuator.
If you aren't willing/able to do some work yourself though, or don't have a very good, knowledgeable, independent you WILL spend a lot of money on them. I love the fact that so many D3 owners are willing/able to do work on their cars, and the fact they choose to share that knowledge is superb.

Oh, would a warranty really cover suspension bushes after 72k miles?
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #146362625th Apr 2015 10:51 am
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I think not most warranty companies only cover non serviceable items but I might be wrong always worth having a read of there t&c Thumbs Up

Post #146363125th Apr 2015 11:07 am
Rockpaperscissors

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Just had my MOT failure...2 new front springs (base model), two bushes on the front lower arms and a new tyre. Had to get re-aligned but all in £455.

I had the option of changing the both arms but looking at them they had absolutely nothing wrong with them. I've never offroaded it and the previous owner never did either so I assume that's helped.

Post #146385625th Apr 2015 8:38 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I had my MOT on Friday and it passed Very Happy . But in readiness for that MOT and three week trip to Scotland I had replaced; all discs and pads (V8 upgrade), front struts, front lower wishbones, front ARB, Inner and outer track rod ends and rear track rods.

As the D3's only owner, it is down to me to plan what gets replaced and when. Planned replacement of parts that are failing/wearing out is in my view the best option. Yes it is costly, but no where near as costly as covering the initial outlay and depreciation on a much newer car. After 10 years and 155k miles, replacement of parts is inevitable.

All the time I have the permagrin whilst driving it and I enjoy the planned maintenance, I will keep it.

Now, must go and check the Transmission Fault code that popped up yesterday ...... Confused Bad timing!
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #146398826th Apr 2015 8:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >