Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Disco 3 2005 Key Fob Issues - what really works?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Keep it green

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Disco 3 2005 Key Fob Issues - what really works?

Hi. Just joined. As many of you have probably experienced I had intermittent problems with my 2005 Disco over 6 months or so - fine for weeks, bad for a day or 2 then fine for another week and so it continued. Different techniques like shaking, banging, swearing(!) usually worked eventually! Then 2 or 3 weeks ago it suddenly died so i've been using the passenger lock ever since which is very inconvenient.
I've heard so many different answers and solutions. I am not that technical. Please could somebody tell me the first steps to take/try as I really don't want to go to LR for a £250 bill. Thank you!
ps my brother had exactly the same intermittent problem with his 2009 Freelander. LR wanted £400 for 2 new keys but he knocked them down to £150!!

Post #107281116th Mar 2013 11:47 pm
JDB

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Not sure exactly what your symptoms are - but have you tried changing the battery in the remote - do a search plenty on here including where to get the battery and a replacement case if it gets damaged,

Post #107283817th Mar 2013 7:06 am
Keep it green

Hi there. Yes that was my initial thought but then ive heard so much conflicting info. This is what id like to try first but it seems you need to be pretty technical to be able to do this! My LR mechanic (ex LR main dealer) did say he would have a go! I guess I want to go down the option I know will work and the least expensive too!
The key fob suddenly stopped working and has not worked since. Thanks

Post #107286517th Mar 2013 9:30 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Don't immediately condemn the key (unless both keys have exactly the same symptoms)

There is a splice joint in the passenger sill which is well known for giving issues. And if you are handy with the tools, you check/repair it for free yourself Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #107287317th Mar 2013 9:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sacimiddx

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Don't immediately condemn the key (unless both keys have exactly the same symptoms)

There is a splice joint in the passenger sill which is well known for giving issues. And if you are handy with the tools, you check/repair it for free yourself Thumbs Up

yes same problem on my 55 - but only found after dealer paid for 2 new keys and a new antenna !
 Illegitimi Non Carborundum  
Post #107287617th Mar 2013 9:57 am
Randylover

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yeh mine was the bad splice. There's a pic of the connector in my gallery somewhere, just cut it of and re-made the joint and all is fine, also found the window switch illumination splice was bad at the same time,

Andy
 05 TDV6,"S" in all colourcoded Zermatt silver,7 seats winter pack HK 6cd stereo,Dual climate,Xenons,

Mods:
Re-Con Engine,De-Tango,Reverse camera,Fog/DRl lights,Aux Battery, perm Aux socket in boot,LED Volt meters in roof panel,Built in tom tom, Strobes fitted in grille, Aux switches for trailer lights fitted in roof panel,Roof Rails,Grille conversion 

Post #107289117th Mar 2013 10:19 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Have a look at the site sponsors. There may be someone down your way who could help out, and avoid you being stung by a dealer Thumbs Up

Not knowing Englandshire very well, I have no idea where Kent is, or near, so not sure who is closest to you Embarassed
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #107291817th Mar 2013 11:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sacimiddx

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Have a look at the site sponsors. There may be someone down your way who could help out, and avoid you being stung by a dealer Thumbs Up

Not knowing Englandshire very well, I have no idea where Kent is, or near, so not sure who is closest to you Embarassed

Geoff. is that way and can probably handle it
 Illegitimi Non Carborundum  
Post #107292617th Mar 2013 11:38 am
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

One of my fobs finally quit after working intermittently. Cut myself a few times trying to open the case to change the battery before giving up & resolving to buy a new one on eBay. Then I picked up the wrong key yesterday to find it has come back to life, worked 100% since then, used > a dozen times.

Seems tampering with it must have sorted a dodgy connection in the fob. One of the members here has posted a document online which can be found via Google search which says it's usually a continuity issue hence banging the fob sometimes helps. Now I have a tatty key fob which for the moment at least works.oh and 2 batteries for when they finally do go.
 VR6 > 330D Touring > D3 HSE > !?XC90?!  
Post #107294817th Mar 2013 12:15 pm
Keep it green

Thank you all for your comments. I think I will try the new battery route first and get my mechanic to try that (very strange that he hadn't come across this fault as it seems to be very common). He did mention once having a customer with a break in the electrical circuit under the passenger footwell as mentioned here.
Yes on the day when it finally let me down and I spent over an hour and a half standing outside like a lemon and banging the key fob on the ground and trying every trick under the sun(!), I decided to give up on the risk of my neighbours thinking I was completely loony!
The initial maindealer just told me that they key would recharge when in the ignition and perhaps I wasn't pointing the key towards the sensor!!!
Despite all i've been a proud owner for 2 years and love it! It was converted to LPG before I bought it

Post #107324817th Mar 2013 8:53 pm
hotrocks

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

When mine went I just bit the bullet and purchased a new key for 120 + VAT from a main dealer... I considered trying to change the battery but in the end could not be bothered with the hassle.

Post #107340917th Mar 2013 11:29 pm
discovery3ski

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

You can get a new battery and a case on e bay and fit your blade and pcb into the body. Saw the old case apart along the join for ease of removal. Cost me around forty quid o fix both my wife's cars key fobs. Eay enough to do. Solder the batteries in and glue the case. I'm no genius but its straightforward enough. 90 minutes ish start to finish.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 HSE 2007
Alfa GTV CUP
Alfa 156 JTS
Alfa Spider TS
Alfa GT Cloverleaf
Volvo XC70 

Post #107380418th Mar 2013 7:33 pm
Jamesxx

Northern Ireland 

One of my keys started to not work , and I had it checked and then replaced for £120 + vat by my dealer .
Was told that this type of problem happens to any car .
 2008 Audi Q7 S-line 240
2005 D3 Tdv6 S Auto
RRS alloys , Grabber AT's , privacy glass , erg blanked , K&N air filter , remapped to 230 hp , runner boards , puddle and footwell lights , door protectors , roof rails , rear light guards , gone after 111460 miles . Much loved and greatly missed :'(
2010 Td4 commercial
2005 Td5 commercial , gone after 55,000 miles of problem free hard work ! 

Post #10823012nd Apr 2013 9:33 pm
raincloud

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

my spare key often fails to work but giving it a sharp tap on the floor cures it everytime - i suspect that the case and the circuit board buttons are not lined up perfectly and the sharp tap puts them back in line

Post #10823062nd Apr 2013 9:42 pm
Copper

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Please advice anyone, Both my Discovery 3 key fobs stopped working at he same time but when checked on the diagnostic machine both are giving out signal and frequency. We have changed the remote receiver and it is getting a constant 12v supply to it, checked the wiring under the passenger side tread plate, seems dry and fine, no blown fuses we can see, the locking is working when you drive away and on the dashboard button!! where to next? Rolling Eyes

Post #14687325th May 2015 2:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >