Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Robbie's Guide To The Low Pressure Fuel System
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 17 <123 456 ... 151617>
aman

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

My local Landrover Dealer advise changing the fuel filter every 2 years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first - is that the same information you go by?

How often do you tend to change the air filter?

Cheers

Post #169860631st Aug 2016 5:22 pm
drexarchos

Greece 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Robbie great post!!
I want to ask you. I had problem with Low fuel pressure. Unfortunately we didn't check the fuse, the power and grounds . The pressure was 0.2bar so the technician suggested changing the fuel filter as we did. The car ran properly for 1000km and after that again problems. The pressure was at the same levels. We changed the LP pump yesterday with a new one and again the pressure didn't raise. The pressure drops significantly when the throttle is pressed. What do you suggest? We have a new filter and a new LP pump on it. Should we check the fuse? Change it maybe? Or we have to check the HPFP?
2 months ago I changed the throttle body with a used one. May it has any connection with the low pressure?
Thank you

Post #17296255th Nov 2016 11:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geamgiul

Romania 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just adding a video with my readings for reference here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tWqmBMDE3k

3.5 Amps with 0.32/0.35 bar pressure.

Alos measured the AC current draw (not show in the picture) and it was at 0.3A. Under the 10% limit.

Car has no faults, dose not go into limp mode, but if the ambient temperature drops below -5/-6 it's starts harder and for 20-30-40 sec it idles rough (only first start of the day). Things get worst if temperatures are lower.

Post #175327324th Dec 2016 9:52 am
dd disco

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Some pics and a video of my results.

I think my pump may be faulty as I have been getting random P0087 errors, along with the dreaded bong - transmission fault, suspension lowering, engine system fault, special programs off etc. hoping it is the LP pump as it seems to be quite a bit cheaper than the HP one.

The pump draws around 3.35 - 3.45 A when the engine is running, when first turning on the ignition it pressurises up to around 6 psi very quickly. As can be seen in the video the pressure then drops to 3.5 psi once the car is running, the needle also moves considerably when the engine is idling. If you rev the engine this drops off further, and with a big rev the needle will go into the vacuum side of the gauge.

Key in position 2, engine off

Engine running

Post #177079029th Jan 2017 3:35 am
KostasA

Greece 

dd disco, have the same problem with you. P0087 and almost same values on pressure and current. i did changed the LPFP but still he measurements have increased slightly. so back into square one. next step the i am thinking is fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail, of course should have done it first rather than spending 400E on the pump.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic154448-15.html

also i don't know if this is accurate but cause our weather is hotter than the UK diesel is thinner and easier to flow, hence lower pressure and lower current drawn. i presume a flow test would be appropriate also.

once i have this sensor on hand and fit in will inform.

Post #177079229th Jan 2017 5:51 am
dd disco

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thought I would post what seems to be the resolution to my issue.

I replaced the lpfp which rectified the P0087 error, however I then got a P2290 low injection pressure errors at about the same distance / time as the P0087 errors were coming up. I replaced the hpfp today and took the car for a decent run, all errors seem to be gone! Expensive exercise but hopefully resolved now.

Post #17738374th Feb 2017 10:52 am
KostasA

Greece 

Hi, i've replaced the fuel pressure sensor (LH side common rail). so far have do e 60 miles in traffic mostly and everything looks ok.
i do pray to the Landy God that this will be the end of suffering!!

Post #17738534th Feb 2017 11:24 am
Sgt Papa Bear

Sweden 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi KostasA. Do you by any chance have the part number for the fuel pressure sensor? I just can't find it anywhere. Probably just lack of google skills...

Post #177829113th Feb 2017 10:08 pm
KostasA

Greece 

Hi,
Try this: http://m.ebay.com/itm/331763018130?_mwBanner=1

Ready from eBay at a very good cost!

Post #177841014th Feb 2017 4:17 am
Sgt Papa Bear

Sweden 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi.
Got the sensor from eBay. Haven't had time to change yet. All manuals however state that the sensor should be changed not individually but as a part of the rail?
So question to you. Has the Landy God answered your prayers or are the fuel pressure issues back?
And where there any problems with the sensor swap? Seems pretty straightforward to me by the looks of it.
Cheers
//B

Post #17856951st Mar 2017 10:23 pm
KostasA

Greece 

it did improve al lot (i.e. i get limp mode not very often) but not solve it, will change HPFP now as it is my last reserve.
changing the sensor is very easy job and don't really see why you need to change the rail. but i don't have any leaks or anything after replacing.

Post #17861412nd Mar 2017 9:52 pm
aman

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Robbie's Guide To The Low Pressure Fuel System

[quote="Robbie"]Robbie's Guide To The Low Pressure Fuel System

I found that the schraeder valve on my Discovery 3 is more awkwardly placed than on the Discovery 4, which means it is harder to connect a fuel pressure gauge.

However if you use a 90 degree schraeder valve connector, it makes it a lot easier (see attached photo)

Post #180337813th Apr 2017 11:36 pm
Allan_T

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Click image to enlarge

GAP IID Pro Multi Vehicle Defender L316 2007-2015 - Discovery 3 - Discovery 4 - Discovery Sport L550 - Freelander 2 - Range Rover Evoque L538 - Range Rover L322 - Range Rover L405 - Range Rover Sport L320 - Range Rover Sport L494
Electrical Fault Diagnostics

Post #18123448th May 2017 12:19 am
Dartmoor Dave

United Kingdom 
Re: Robbie's Guide To The Low Pressure Fuel System

Unnecessary quote removed

Just a quick addition to an excellent write up and just what I needed to confirm my test. Remove the core of the valve with a tyre valve tool or you won't get a reading on the gauge if you are using just a hose. Obvious I know but heh ho! Top write up Robbie.

Thumbs Up

Post #182660914th Jun 2017 2:02 pm
Dartmoor Dave

United Kingdom 

dd disco wrote:

I think my pump may be faulty as I have been getting random P0087 errors, along with the dreaded bong - transmission fault, suspension lowering, engine system fault, special programs off etc. hoping it is the LP pump as it seems to be quite a bit cheaper than the HP one.

The pump draws around 3.35 - 3.45 A when the engine is running, when first turning on the ignition it pressurises up to around 6 psi very quickly. As can be seen in the video the pressure then drops to 3.5 psi once the car is running, the needle also moves considerably when the engine is idling. If you rev the engine this drops off further, and with a big rev the needle will go into the vacuum side of the gauge.

This is almost to the letter whats happening to a neighbours Disco. I put a gauge on it, got 6lbs at start up but exactly as yours the more revs the lower the reading until a big rev sucked the fuel in the transparent gauge pipe out of sight and registered a vacuum?? His runs great and then under load, bing bongs, lights come on to show limp mode, he coasts to a stop, engine still runs at idle. Wait ten secs and it returns to normal, boot it and its away. Any thoughts? Thumbs Up

Post #182661314th Jun 2017 2:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 17 <123 456 ... 151617>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >