DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Additional kit vs keeping the weight on a proper level - HOW
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Additional kit vs keeping the weight on a proper level - HOW

Hi everyone

Just returned from the trip around Georgia and Armenia. We spent one month on the road. Would recommend Georgia to everyone, who love beautiful sceneries and want to stay away from the crowd Smile
Wouldn't recommend Armenia as we were sold Censored cheated fuel and had a lot of problems on our way back Neutral

But back to the question.

Here is my toy:

Click image to enlarge

Comparing to the standard disco I have:

1. Custom steel bumper with winch.
2. Underbody protection (without the one protecting the tank)
3. Custom rock sliders.
4. Second battery.
5. Roof rack and ladder.
6. Custom wheel carrier with spare wheel and spare fuel tank (25l)/water tank (20l) and hi-lift carrier with hi-lift jack.
7. 32" MT tyres and changed wheels.
8. Custom drawer system.
9. Fridge
10. Roof tent
11. OBA system (2 compressors and a tank)
12. Lovells coil suspension (2" lift)
13. Owning with sides

That's basically the most important/the heaviest hardware.

Beside taking to the trip personal items I also have:
1. Campingaz 2 burner stove
2. 5 kg gas bottle
3. Kitchen hardware
4. External pump for shower system with shower and hoses
5. Photo kit (2 Peli cases - around 10-12kg each)
6. Recovery kit (shackles, ropes, ax, shovel, snach block, etc.)
7. Repair kit (various tools, spair coil, spare fuel filter, spare wheel hub, etc. - all in big Peli case)
8. 20l tank for drinking water
9. 1 big drawer of food
10. Husky dog (30kg) and food for her (15kg) Wink
11. Tables and chairs

When the car was weighed (with me and my wife inside) - it was 3480kg Big Cry
There was no single iteam that wasn't used on that trip (well - fortunatelly didn't have to use spare filter and wheel hub, but wouldn't move on without them next time), so I can hardly imagine what would I do to reduce the weight Neutral

What is your setup chaps and what do you do to keep the weight down??

Also - has anyone seen somewhere bigger lift for Discovery 3 than 2"? I heard that there would be problem with CV joints, etc., but maybe there is somewhere a custom solution to keep the car higher than it stays?

I must say the clearance is the biggest concern for my at the moment. With such heavy load we had no lift at all and some of the track we were forced to cross were real challenge Evil or Very Mad

Thumbs Up
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #151672217th Aug 2015 1:55 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Perhaps fitting the air suspension system (with lift rods and/or IID etc.) would be worthwhile? Question
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #151672517th Aug 2015 2:01 pm
Simon.pl

Honestly - I wouldn't like to go for that solution
- firstly - additional weight of the system (compressor, lines, etc.)
- and secondly - I just can't imagine having an issue with it somewere high in the mountains. 3 of 4 of my coils were damaged during that trip (fortunatelly had a spare one and exchanged it on the heavy back) but front looked like this:

But still I was able to drive on springs and the height was almost unchanged and batter then when the car is in the lower position with air suspension.
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #151673017th Aug 2015 2:10 pm
Simon.pl

I still wonder what is the weight of all those Discos in Australia and anywhere in the world having two spare wheel cariers on the back, steel bumpers on the back, additional fuel tank in the place of the original spare wheel, and other equipment fitted, that is similar to mine Neutral Question

Last edited by Simon.pl on 17th Aug 2015 2:14 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #151673117th Aug 2015 2:12 pm
smaskins

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Photo kit (2 Peli cases - around 10-12kg each)

More Photos please !!! Thumbs Up

Post #151673217th Aug 2015 2:13 pm
Simon.pl

I just realized I don't have any photos of it Shocked

Well - my hobby is to make timelaps movies (started it a year ago) so I need to carry 1 photo camera with 5 lenses, additional grip and few batteries (that's one case) and slider with remotely controlled head with many cables, charges, and other bits in the other.

Plus 2 tripods and 1 monopod Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

I also carry cable drum with 15m of cable, so I can power the head and the camera from my car battery - if I want to take day-night-day timelaps Whistle
Post #151673517th Aug 2015 2:19 pm
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

"I still wonder what is the weight of all those Discos in Australia and anywhere in the world having two spare wheel cariers on the back, steel bumpers on the back, additional fuel tank in the place of the original spare wheel, and other equipment fitted, that is similar to mine Neutral Question"

We generally add a third axle Wink

Post #151709718th Aug 2015 12:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >