Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Huge increase in monthly outgoings coming - Disco going?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

^^^^^ you can do all of that with the D3, more believable to persuade them you need to work from home or company car. Whistle

Post #15258847th Sep 2015 7:37 pm
gazdiver

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Mine sits on the drive for about 300 days a year ( swmbo) calls it the" Orange shed" and i have ford Cmax i drive to work in, which is like a shed inside but cheap to buy and run so it can be done . chin up and keep the faith and dont sell the Disco Thumbs Up

Gaz

Post #15258877th Sep 2015 7:43 pm
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As per Red Merle make sure you get advice, i used to do 40k+ business miles in a privately owned D3 and the account that did my personal tax return had me keep a spreadsheet of all the miles i claimed the 18p through work for and then he got me fare few grand back off the tax man each year!
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #15258897th Sep 2015 7:45 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Exactly!
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #15258997th Sep 2015 7:58 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

2nd car here too for work, I use my old Jag XType. Only additional costs are the tax and insurance Thumbs Up

Post #15259047th Sep 2015 8:00 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Motorbike for work here! Tax is £50/year, insurance is £70/year, does 55mpg when I behave myself Whistle downside is tyres are £200/5K miles.

If work isn't far ( mine is 18 miles each way) then it's worth considering! I only use the car when there's frost on the roads, ice or snow.
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #15259207th Sep 2015 8:17 pm
pgerman

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Unless your contract specifies that you are an office based worker then I would push back here and ask them to provide a genuine reason for this move. They've set a precedent by allowing you to work from home and unless there is an issue with your ability to manage yourself, your workload and/or your team then I would suggest they are on a bit of rocky ground here.

Even if your contract does specify that you are office based then I would formally apply for a flexible working agreement on the basis that you've been doing your job (and doing it well remotely), which has to be legally considered and can only be rejected if it can be proven that you can't/couldn't do your job from home and/or that it would provide a significant cost to the business. I would also state that you are willing to manage your time efficiently so even if there were a need for you to be in the office regularly then this could be done within the realm of your own time management i.e. arrange to be in the office one or two days a week and ensure that everyone you would need to meet with knows that those are the days you would be there.

Lastly, if they do push back and state that you are indeed required in the office daily then they should be pushed to at least contribute to the increased costs for you in both time and real money.

Just a bit of advice as I've been through this a number of times working in start-ups that get acquired, where the acquiring party tries to force its own rules on the incoming team. Very poor management to just demand that people heat seats in an expensive office space. I understand if people aren't performing but these types of exercises are demoralising and crap for work life balance. Thumbs Up

Post #15259257th Sep 2015 8:23 pm
MikeO

Scotland 

Oh how times have changed - 18p/mile has now dropped to 13p/mile. Barely covers the washer fluid...

You've braced yourself for the worst - I hope things work out better.
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #15259687th Sep 2015 9:37 pm
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

We all know the realities of the world at the moment and your company probably doesn't give a rats Censored whether you get to drive a car you like or not.

I am also sure every one of us can make changes to our life to save money, I have a friend who earns in a 4 day week what I can earn in overtime on a Saturday and he has 5 kids and a mortgage(although much smaller than mine) but he works hard to achieve that life.All his cooking/heating is done by wood stove,all split by hand. They drive old tax exempt Landies

We don't have Sky TV or anything like that but I have family who are struggling to get by yet still have the full sports/film package.

Even giving up one takeaway a week or a few beers every week would make quite big dents in those extra costs.

Would the extra costs make it viable to move closer to the office?

You could buy a more economical car and get a tax exempt Series 3 Landrover with a 200tdi to tow the Sankey.

It's human nature to live to your means and all things are relative.

I drive a 2002 V70 for work, could have a company car but take the money, paid £1750 4 years a go and have put 70K miles on it. Super comfortable, virtually unstoppable and I'm not even slightly concerned where I park it and if it blew up tomorrow I could bin it.It followed an earlier V70 and an 850 estate, can't see myself buying anything other than a newer one.

I appreciate there are potential legal implications here but once you go down that route turning round is very difficult.

In a nutshell 3 choices

Get rid of the D3/Sankey and buy a more econimical car.
Find a way to keep the D3
Find a new job

I read this for the first time recently

If you really want something you will find a way
If you don't you'll find an excuse
 IID PRO
MSV Extreme
Nanocom One 

Post #15259747th Sep 2015 9:47 pm
DDDad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Fixed costs don't increase (much) with mileage:
Depreciation (the main cost of owning a new-ish car).
VED
Insurance

Variable costs per mile:
Diesel 25mpg & 110p/l = 20p/m
Tyres 20k/set @ £150/tyre = 3p/m
Earlier Servicing @ £600/20k = 3p/m

TOTAL 26p/m, which is why getting 45p/m tax free for business miles is brill. If you average 40mph, it's like earning an extra £7.60 ph tax free just for driving. Thumbs Up

The extra 10.4k miles' commuting means £2700 pa or £60 pw. If you can't justify that, then a smaller car would half the variable cost per mile, meaning £1350 pa £30 pw extra outgoings. It would only pay for itself if you sold the Disco, thus freeing up the sale's proceeds, plus about £10pw savings on VED and insurance. You'd still be £20 pw worse off, but should have some cash left over from the sale to cover the first few years. Thumbs Up
 Went for a job as a human cannonball. Not the right calibre.  
Post #15259837th Sep 2015 10:04 pm
Klinkhammer

Scotland 

Three and a half years ago I took a smaller car for work and replaced SWMBO's scenic with a D3, she hated it. A year later she was taking the D3 keys in preference to the Cmax.
Nine months ago I open up the discussion about replacing the D3. She says "I don't care what you get as long as it's another Discovery!"
Picked up a new D4 on the 21st July and can't stop enjoying it.

I'm sure if you can get her to use it for a few months it will come good.

Also agree with the comments about the change to your conditions regarding getting them to explain why they require the changes.

These things are always stressful so make sure they don't pull you down, all the best.
 I'm to old to know everything......
D4 Gone over to the Dark Side (D5)
D3 gone ...... But now want one for knocking about! Is this a form of insanity? 

Post #15260087th Sep 2015 10:35 pm
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

Obviously your situation may be different, but I'd be quite up front with my employer about wanting them to contribute to the increased cost. It depends whether leaving is a realistic prospect. Having you leave and trying to replace you is a massive pain in the ass for your boss.
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #15260197th Sep 2015 10:58 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 

I feel for you. I've just been through this.

A promotion, but lost home working, and I have to work in a city center now. I decided to use public transport. Its a b**l ache, and adds an hour and a half a day in travelling time, but it means I can keep the D3. The alternative was to get rid and buy some smaller characterless car and drive to my new office every day.
 Man with no D3 anymore, but cant leave the forum....how sad.  
Post #15260808th Sep 2015 8:36 am
grahamk

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just do what I did, I was spending a fortune running around in the disco, I bought a £500 525tds BMW that has not put a foot wrong since I bought it, and it runs on veg oil at the princely sum of 60p a litre. The merc E300td is another good one to do this with.

The thing actually earns me money when I use it on business mileage.
 3 Flash Indicators
Clock on Dash
GVIF & Reverse Camera
D4 Bluetooth
EGR's Blanked 

Post #15260868th Sep 2015 8:58 am
Mike40

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

A D3 that is used well breaks down less and needs less maintenance. Things don't seize up and everything just seems to last longer............ 8)

It's the low mileage weekend D3's that cost owners a fortune!! 166K and still on most of the original major parts............now that I have had the leaking suspension fixed and the compressor will not be running at least twice a day pumping it up, I expect that to go tits up later in the year!! Sad

Use it and love it, think of it as a bonus that you get to drive it more and every day...... Very Happy
 ------------------------------
"Ruby" Rimini Red
Rimini Red 06MY TDV6 S
Xenons, Bright Pack, Climate Pack,
BAS Magic Box and Remap
ITG Air Filter
ERG's Blanked (Woody32)
Huge Permagrin

Suzuki GSX1400, Triumph Daytona 1200, Yamaha RD500LC, Norton 850 Commando, MV Agusta 1090 Brutale, Honda Hornet 900, Honda 600 Tansalp, Matchless 750, AJS 650CSR......plus very understanding wife! 

Post #15260878th Sep 2015 9:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >