Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Balance weights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PeanutBob

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Balance weights

Ref the balance weights swinging in front of the rear bumper, I was wondering about the principle of how they work? Are they fitted solely on air suspension D3s, and is the idea to stop 'yaw' movement? If so, are they fitted on other air suspended vehicles, commercial or otherwise? I recall in a previous post NoDosh remarked that the 'magic carpet' ride had disappeared until he discovered that one of the weights had been caught up in the rear wiring harness. So, I'm curious as to how they work, and whether carrying a load, or towing a trailer would negate the benefits of these. Thanks.

Post #1854732nd Aug 2007 10:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Swinging Weights

PB - when I got my disco 3 last September I was really surprised to find these whilst checking under car (checking under car - yes I found a couple of things that weren't quite right fixed on first call back to dealers).
Recalled the weights on the Disco 1's fastened to the gearbox with rubber "similar to original mini exhaust mounts"
there was also a wire rope device that retained the weights in case the mounts failed. I was told these were fitted to take out NVH (noise vibration & harshness) with the car at certain road speeds that came with the 300 TDI engine. There had been instances weights had "come away".
It may look a crude solution - but what could be simpler - its a typical subtle Land Rover KISS (keep it stupidly simple) engineering approach that other makers either wouldn't bother with & spend £millions researching a solution or keep the NVH.
If you stripped down many vehicle you'd be amazed to see the bits that are added to make other bits fit - New Mini best example with interior trim - the "body in white" varies that much rubber pads & blocks (stored at lineside) are fitted when required to make the trim fit - especially B post panels.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #1855153rd Aug 2007 6:03 am
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuned_mass_damper

Post #1856653rd Aug 2007 1:09 pm
PeanutBob

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

ok, tks, interesting to see the Burj al Arab in Dubai has 11 of these and the D3 still has 2!

Post #1856713rd Aug 2007 1:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >