DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Need help of experts over finally getting my own D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
D3 BTG

England 
Need help of experts over finally getting my own D3

Good evening guys and girls,

I have been around a while looking especially on here and have finally found one that is close to where I live the right colour and not bad milage. (see link below)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2006-LAND-R...RTM2063723

Being on here for a while I have learnt some of the questions to ask and have had the following response:

1. Has the cam belt / timing belts been changed? yes done in November 2003. It had steering arms done at the same time.

2. Was the oil pump replaced at the same time? (not sure for model if this was relevant but thought would ask anyway!) No idea - invoice doesn't say it. Lists tracking, cam belt, steering, tyres, steering arms, belt kit and antifreeze.

3. Does it have full service history? No, but we have kept all receipts. It is due a service (Well overdue one if I am honest).

4. Do you have details of all work carried out? If so is there anyway you can highlight what has been done? Yes,I have all receipts. Cam Belt, EGR valves and gaskets (this cost £755), air suspension, aircon switch replacement and regas, battery new 2012, Pad wear sensors.

5. Has the gearbox been flushed and oil changed? Due service now

6. Have the bushes been replaced? Due service now

7. Has the air compressor (suspension) been replaced? I have receipt for air suspension compressor kit and invoice for replacing compressor and air pump dated Jan 2013 (£485).

8. Have the wishbones been replaced? Sorry no idea what these are.

9. When were the pads and discs last done? Front brake pads and discs done August 2015 as we new they were worn. The back ones were done 9 months after the front ones so they will need doing shortly. They were both advisory items on the MOT in April.

10. What are the state of the tyres? No advisory on tyres from MOT in April. They are 2-3 years old, tread still looks good. Only do school run in it as work from home.

11. Does everything work as it should? Yes, we even had the air con switch fixed as I wouldnt sell without fixing it. They re-gased at the same time.

Now I know its a lot of questions but I have a budget of around 10k at the most. So I want to buy something that at least from the start has had the majority of items highlighted by this forum done.

The things that concern me or that I am not sure how much are going to cost are:

1. No full service history. Yet they have all receipts so not sure what extent that is. Thoughts?
2. Bushes not been replaced. How much would this cost?
3. Gearbox flush and oil changed not done. Again how much does this cost? As it is now due.
4. Stupid questions so sorry but are steering arms and wishbones the same thing? if not how much to change the wishbones?
5. Tyres are 2-3 years old! so again stupid question which I should know the answer but how much for 4 new ones? considering this will be family car with all my loved ones so need decent ones.
6. Brakes and Pads on Rear not done. How much to change these? (in the future with the help of this forum this is something I am hoping to do myself but as I am starting out of the box need an expert! haha)
7. My last point is that I am going to go and see this car as I think I should start to go and test drive a few more! I have the following list of items to check (Again from the advice of this forum). Is there anything else I should add?

D3 maint checklist-
Service book and receipts
Recent service receipt
Log book matches vin
Confirm MY from vin
Previous mots with test numbers
Check reg match log book

Paintwork
Tyre treads
Mileage confirm (Not sure how to do this!)
Windscreen chip check
Elec windows all working
Floor mats
Pair and test Bluetooth
Satnav check and confirm ver
Cd works
MP3 cd works
Headphones working all slots
Fridge
Air con front
Air con rear
Heat seats front
Heat seats rear
Front and rear wipers
Check all keys work
All bulbs working inside cabin
All speakers working
Elec chairs working
Back seats fold up and down
Sunroof open and close - no water ingress
Indicators working
Reverse lights working
Petrol cap open close
Tail gate open close

Check low range high range
Check manual gear mode
Check all modes
Air compressor up down after warm up
Check front park sensors
Check rear park sensors

Tow bar attach and remove
Check under hood
Ask about fuel burn heater in winter - works?
Check spare is there and is full alloy
Check wheel change tools present

Drive test-
Epb disenage engage
No knocks when cornering
Motorway test acceleration

Thank you for reading this far as its quiet a lot of questions I know! I have been reading long enough on here to know that owning a D3 is not a cheap exercise Laughing hence why I want to make sure I can get the best for my budget! at the beginning! It might be that after some of you have read this you can point me in the direction of a fellow member that is considering selling a beauty that needs to go to new home!? Whistle lol

I am looking for similar colour and alloys to this advert (though not a deal breaker). Has to have had as much of the bug bares seen to and sorted as possible. Needs to be automatic! and in an ideal world have the entertainment system in the back for my two toe rags on long trips up to the in-laws!

As always I am in debt to the helpful advice and guidance given by this forum and I look forward to your responses!

Regards

Ben

Post #153254420th Sep 2015 10:12 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Sounds like you've got it all covered. Check for gearbox judder and revs hunting too, and set some money aside for the inevitable repairs.
I would be tempted to take a few for a drive first.

Your check list is quite thorough, if your keen on buying it, see if somebody here could look over it for you, would be worth a few quid for somebody who knows these cars.
Remember there will be more out there.
This one doesn't have sunroofs, rear air con or headphone sockets so you can cross them off your list Thumbs Up

Post #153255320th Sep 2015 10:32 pm
Alan B

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi and welcome,

For a start if the cam belts were done in 2003 I'd say they were taking the pi Censored as it wasn't till late 2004/2005 that the D3 came out so they must be the originals,

9/ if the front discs/pads were done in August 2015 and it's September now how the f Censored could the rears be done 9 months later?

Without going on and on and on, and only my opinion.
Test drive it and see what you think, then,
Look at some of the much loved/cared for ones in the for sale section.
Be prepared to travel rather than something on your doorstep. Unless your lucky..

Rear infotainment etc etc, your not after much for your buck are you Whistle
 D3 57 xs Stornaway grey
D2 02 commercial silver gone but a great servant and won't be forgotten

Iid Bluetooth 

Post #153255420th Sep 2015 10:37 pm
MikeO

Scotland 

I think it's a typo - 2003 = 2013. It's a 2006 car so that would be right. Needs checking though.

The brake thing confused me but I think they meant the rears were done 9mths after the fronts the time before last. And as the fronts have just been done the rears will soon be due. Not sure the logic holds but I'm pretty sure that's what was meant. Given they're an advisory on the MOT, budget for them.
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #153255620th Sep 2015 10:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >