DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Bottom end intermittent knock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
longclose

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Bottom end intermittent knock

Evening all,

Just put my Disco 3 into the stealers to get the timing belt and oil pump replaced. I have noticed an irregular knock from the bottom of the engine, the oil pressure appears OK and light goes out within 2-3 seconds from initial start up from cold and goes out on cranking if you turn off from hot and restart within a couple of seconds so hopefully not running a bearing.

I know the noise is not normal as SWAMBO has an identical vehicle which made me identify the problem, I have left the stealer to locate the problem but just wondered if any one on the forum has experienced this knocking before. The noise can be heard through the N/S wheel arch (left hand side) and is audible but cannot be easily heard unless you listen out for it.

I have had a damper pulley go on my Disco 2 a few years back which created a similar irregular knocking which was pretty common, however I have not come across this being a problem on the D3, any thoughts would be welcome?
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #15571486th Nov 2015 6:19 pm
longclose

A few miles from a blown engine... eeek

Got called into the dealership this morning to show me what they had found.... The cam belt tensioner tensioner had broken and in his words was a few hundred miles from complete failure... after only 80k miles Shocked

It turned out that the oil pump was a later type (its an 8A VIN BTW) so am keeping the new pump for SWAMBO's vehicle which is a 7A VIN. Its great in SA you walk straight in and look at your car without oh no Sir health and safety... blah blah..

Avoided wallet being totally empty not just taking a pounding.. - am investing in new water pump to be safe... with the savings made Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Scary stuff but luckily my intuition around engine noises paid off to get it in ASAP.. phew... Confused[/img]
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #15573907th Nov 2015 10:23 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Little confused...

Was this pump from your engine?
Some 08MY still had the weaker casting, it was 08.5 they were fitted with the reinforced pump casing

What new pump are you keeping for the other D3?
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #15573927th Nov 2015 10:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Re: A few miles from a blown engine... eeek

longclose wrote:

Click image to enlarge

And if I'm not mistaken, that looks like an EU3 setup, not an EU4 Confused
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #15573937th Nov 2015 10:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
longclose

Your knowledge never fails to impress Mikey.. Wink yes it is EU3 as exports to SA kept the EU3 configuration. About to fit EGR blanks when it comes back from the dealer... no MIL hopefully..

How I found out was I was hoping to import it back to the UK next year as it literally is like new inside an out even the bolts still have the zinc coating not a single rusted bolt underneath.. but research showed that in SA they are EU3 - not sure about D4.

WRT the oil pump I bought one from a Citroen dealer which I sourced following you post, the issue of dowels not being fitted in the new one arose which is why they called me in (which I think you had mentioned previously and I had forgot ..doh..) so I have kept it for SWAMBo's car.

Good guy's though even though they charge 9 hours labour, but to be fair they are going right the way through the vehicle and have identified O/S wheel bearing which I could hear..

PS. welcome to come for a free holdiay to fit new pump to SWAMBo's Laughing
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #15574067th Nov 2015 11:02 am
Disco_Mikey

Deal Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #15574187th Nov 2015 11:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >