Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Installing new brake lines (rear section) drop the exhaust?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mikeynoclue

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 Base 7 Seat Auto Buckingham BlueLR3
Installing new brake lines (rear section) drop the exhaust?

Hello Everyone!

I have dreaded brake line corrosion issue (leaking), so I'll be replacing both rear mid-rear sections of the lines. I'm going to cut the lines from the midpoint and replace with copper nickel lines this weekend.

I saw a video on youtube and he cut off the exhaust to gain easier access to the heat shields and brake lines. I can cut off the exhaust (then re-install w/ sleeves) but was wondering if this is overkill and there is enough access with the exhaust in place? Also where does everyone cut the lines?

I'm apologize if this has been posted elsewhere and didn't see it.

Thank You

Post #236775229th Apr 2024 6:40 pm
Mikeynoclue

I read through some older post and some said removing the exhaust is not required, but other did remove.

If I decide to remove the exhaust are there any "tricks" to make the removal easier?

Thanks so much.

Mike

Post #236775529th Apr 2024 7:12 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If the V8 exhaust is similar to the TDV6 one, you would struggle to access to cut and flare the pipe ends in the ideal area, unless you replace the pipes from much further forward than necessary. I sprayed penetrating oil into the exhaust sleeved joint (after undoing the clamp) and used a large hide faced mallet to knock the front of the centre silencer backwards, whilst twisting it a bit too. It did take a lot of effort…I also tied the exhaust pipes up at the back end (after undoing from the hangers) to support it while I persuaded the front end apart. I found removing the rubber hangers very difficult, so I purchased an exhaust hanger removal tool which made things a lot easier ( thanks ‘highlands’ Laughing )…Here’s where I joined mine……
Click image to enlarge
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #236775729th Apr 2024 8:07 pm
Mikeynoclue

Thank You DN!

First, beautiful job on your new lines. Looks great.

Bummer, seems like I'm gonna to have to remove the exhaust. Seems like it will require some "urging" to get the pipes to separate, but I will purchase the exhaust hanger removal tool.

Question: Where exactly did you connect the new line with the old one, using the front and rad doors as a reference point?

Thanks again!

Post #236775829th Apr 2024 8:34 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Mike, thanks. Approximately a foot or so behind the front edge of the rear door. Between two cross members underneath. Compare your suspension compressor lower cover with mine in my pic, to give a rough guide. I staggered the line connectors, so they wouldn’t chafe. As you’d expect, the steel line ends are tougher to flare than copper nickel. Forgot to say, that I managed to pull the corroded lines out without bending them excessively, so that I could make up and bend as original, the new lines ( by cable tieing the new to the old as I went. ) If the exhaust was in place, I doubt you would be able to remove the old lines intact. Be aware, that the 2 lines cross at one point, so what you thought was a left hand line, ends up on the right, and vice versa. Good Luck.
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #236775929th Apr 2024 8:52 pm
Worms

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've just done mine, joining old to new in the same location, but without removing the exhaust. It is a bit of a fiddle, but entirely do-able. Admittedly my finished job is nowhere near as neat as DN's. I used steel pipe, rather than cupro-nickel.

The only issue I had was that the first time I flared the end of the old pipe, the end bent slightly and I couldn't straighten it enough to get the connector back up to the flare, so had to cut the pipe back a bit further and start again, being more careful not to put too much pressure on the end of the pipe while flaring it.
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW - still got this, non-runner on SORN.
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #236777030th Apr 2024 7:08 am
Mikeynoclue

Thank You DN and Worms!

Yes I see the compressor lower cover now Smile Now I have a reference point. I'll definitely look out for the crossed pipes and I'll decide on removing the exhaust when under the LR3..

My job won't be winning me car shows lol but if in the relatively stock location and functional I'll be happy Smile

Post #236780230th Apr 2024 12:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >