Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Special Programs Not Available
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
alanwxr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Special Programs Not Available

Probably a question that has been asked on here before, but I couldn't easily find anything when I looked.

I couple of weeks ago I was driving in pouring rain on a motorway and the message came on something like HDU Fault, usual bongs etc then "Special Programs Not Available" followed by "Suspension Lowered". A couple of warning lights were on. I slowed down and drove off at the nearest exit. Stopping the car and switching back on cleared the fault. I had no further problem that day.

Then today on a warm sunny day it did the same thing. Stopping and restarting cleared it again.

The only thing the two occurences had in common was that I'd been driving for a few hours.

Going on holiday in a week or so, and as the last time I went to Scotland in my TD5 I came back on the back of a tow truck I don't want to repeat in the Highlands.

Any ideas, gonna book it in the dealers first thing in the morning though!

Post #18849912th Aug 2007 8:04 pm
PeanutBob

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

They'll sort it and give you a new compressor for your troubles! My D3 had exactly the same symptoms as you describe, so after a few weeks it was booked in for a variety of warranty issues including the suspension lowering problems combined with the resultant special programmes not being available. Fixed by fitting a new compressor.

Post #18852312th Aug 2007 9:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alanwxr

Thanks for that have booked it in the dealer, but as I am going away soon wanted all to be armed with all the info I could.

Have already had a compressor replaced when I first got it, about 30k ago.

Post #18865413th Aug 2007 9:13 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

There are a number of reasons for this to occur....suspension height sensors, air mass sensor, low voltage on your battery, or even an incorrect brake light bulb unit (if you've fitted one recently) could be responsible. Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 13th Aug 2007 10:32 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #18866613th Aug 2007 9:35 am
alanwxr

Strange you should say that "DG".

I had a new rear lamp assembly in in May - backed in to a damn wheelie bin!

Not sure if the first time I had the fault a brake light bulb had gone, but I replaced one about the same time. Didn't really link the two together so didn't take much notice.

Checked all the bulbs last night and they were ok.

Booked in the dealers for Friday but would obviously find any info useful before then.

Post #18869013th Aug 2007 10:18 am
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I have just gone through that problem, for the last couple of months. It was happening regularly and I was at wits end trying to find the answer. I logged the failures to get a common reason and it appeared to happen on braking or at very low speeds, 10Kmh or less, or while stopped at traffic lights.

My battery voltage is low and the alternator is not charging correctly which is the subject of an information gathering session for my LR dealer (they just have no knowledge of the product they are supposed to service).

Anyway it appears that the problem may have been my Prodigy electronic braking system, I originally wired it in in accordance with the manufacturers instructions but that is not compatible with the D3s electronics.

The dealer rewired it after convincing me (what a fool) that they knew better.......wrong! After taking it back and ripping into them for the very unproffesional way it was installed (wires draped about under dash and inside rear panels) I still had the HDC fault etc. happening and my Prodigy was telling me it was shorting out at idle condition.

Last wednesday the dealer finally got it right and since then my HDC etc. problems have not happened,and they were at least a daily occurance, so here's hoping..................

The point of this monologue is to say that the HDC etc. problem seems to be sensitive to any braking system problem.

Post #18880813th Aug 2007 2:08 pm
Garball

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

I'm told it can be almost anything. I just got my LR3 from being in the shop for 10 weeks and it turned out to be a problematic rear differential!!! Go figure. Exact same symptoms.

Cheers,

Post #18987016th Aug 2007 12:58 am
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

See my post in Suspension Survey in the sticky

Post #19249321st Aug 2007 2:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >