Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Mod help and guidance, please :)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dglumac

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Mod help and guidance, please :)

Oh Great Wise Owners of the D3, assist me, if you would!

With mine coming on Friday, there are a few mods I'd like to do ASAP.

1) Interior LEDs
There are plenty of Canbus-compatible ones on eBay from China (i.e., http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221952544444), with the whole car set for 15 quid. Does anyone have any experience with them, or alternatively, can you point me to a reliable UK source?

2) Rear lights and front Grille
As my D3 is Java Black-on-Black-with-black-leather-and-black-Piano, I might as well keep with the theme. Has anyone put (I assume you have Wink) something like this on (MY15 lights and the "new" grille) - or alternatively, is there a "forum-approved-purveyor" of such items for a reasonable price? I can live with the grille, it's the rear lights I want.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121700755896?_tr....S2.R2.TR5

3) Daytime running LEDs and front light guards
Recommendations most welcome for either product!

Anything else I'm missing and is relatively inexpensive (relatively I say!) and easy? I'm considering an engine remap, but I want to drive it a bit first (say a thousand miles) to see if it makes sense to me...

Post #15880965th Jan 2016 11:24 pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Can't help with the other bits but I would
Not recommend cheap bulbs, they tend to be very dim and not last long. I've tried a few on disco and Mondeo and its just not worth it.

Have a look on advanced factors website, they sell all the bulbs you need. The reverse and interior ones make the biggest difference.
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #15881005th Jan 2016 11:28 pm
dglumac

Ta very much - AF it is (to be honest, I kinda expected that answer)... Smile

Post #15881065th Jan 2016 11:33 pm
Dave T

England 

A remap is brilliant, makes it sooo much better to drive and if you don't abuse it all the time will increase your MPG and make it so much easier and safer overtaking

I had an autologic one, but BAS and Alive both have good names as well
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #15881616th Jan 2016 7:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have every bulb in the interior bar the ignition barrel kitted out in cheap Chinese LED's for about 2 years with no problem at all. Not one has played up, all for the sum of £14.

Post #15882096th Jan 2016 10:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dglumac

Right, first thing done: The grill has been replaced, and fog light covers fitted. The silver-on-black badge should come tomorrow (though I did clean the one that was on it now, just in case). The fog lights are a bit tacky, but I only decided that after I've already glued them on, so, they'll stay.

I've elected not to replace the rear lights but to rather have the ones currently on tinted, which is getting done tomorrow.

I've also managed to find a spot for my trusty Android tabled-turned in-car-computer, wired in the front-facing camera/traffic recorder, and I've plugged a Bluetooth receiver into the AUX port so I can stream music from the tablet - pictures to follow tomorrow, just in case anyone will care Smile

All I've got left to do is to figure out a reversing cam (I'll be going with something of the WiFi variety that I can connect the tablet to, rather than going the in-dash route, suggestions gratefully accepted?), get a little spot on the windscreen fixed (not an issue, but it bothers me - and as I'm not sure if it was already there or I quite literally managed to put it on as I drove the car back from the dealer, I'll pay it in full - there goes another 80 quid...), replace the interior lights with LEDs once they arrive (I have never seen more feeble lights...) and put in the Land Rover logo mud lights, and I'm a happy camper! Smile

P.S.:

Or, maybe... Just one more thing... OK, two... daytime running lights, and an upgrade of the bulbs in the fog lights & reversing light. Oh god, I can already see this is going to be a money pit - I'm sure I'll think of something else.

Post #159180112th Jan 2016 6:53 pm
Alan B

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Forum sticker Whistle Whistle

Get the drl/fogs in one from Advanced factors Thumbs Up
 D3 57 xs Stornaway grey
D2 02 commercial silver gone but a great servant and won't be forgotten

Iid Bluetooth 

Post #159181012th Jan 2016 7:15 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
As my D3 is Java Black-on-Black-with-black-leather-and-black-Piano, I might as well keep with the theme.

What happened Question

Post #159183712th Jan 2016 7:50 pm
dglumac

Chrome. Doesn't. Count.

8)

Post #159188512th Jan 2016 8:45 pm
dglumac

Right, I need advice, but first, an update - AF no longer sells the 80W H11s for the fog lights as they had "quality" issues with them... I sourced some off of fleaBay (allegedly "Osram" and boy are they an improvement... Chrome is on and looking good - as I said, I might not have gone for the fog light surrounds now that I'm looking at them, but the grille makes a heck of a lot of difference...

I also managed to get all the internal lights converted into LEDs (fantastic and easy upgrade), and changed the puddle lights to ones that display the LR logo (15 quid/pair on eBay, gimmicky but nice...)

Now, to my question: I am in need of a good indy in Berks/Bucks or around Guildford that could turn on Scandinavian driving lights for me (and that I could use for servicing) - does anyone have any recommendations? Also to that point, is there a list of features that can be adjusted somewhere?

And my second question - my steering wheel could use a clean. Doesn't look like it needs actual repair, just grime and finger oil from the past 7 years have gotten it dirty. Would a "magic sponge" do the trick, or is there a better way?

Thank you all by the way - this forum is a godsend!

Post #16065627th Feb 2016 11:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >