Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Faulty suspension, warning lights on dash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
bririvers

United Kingdom 
Faulty suspension, warning lights on dash

;Hi, Ive been a LR3 owner for 9 long years - so I am sure you can feel my heartache! Please Please before I lose my sanity please help! - I hadnt used the Money Trap for 3 weeks, then decided to give her a run, the HDC came up on the screen, together with suspension fault, which resulted in going down to the stops 3 lights on triangular one with circle with arrow on the end, the suspension light [showing rocking motion] and a circle which looks like a brake drum with an exclamation mark in the middle - all of these are amber in colour, also the raise/lower switch is not illuminated, and the high/low ratio will not alter, when the satnav screen is put to 'off road info' the pips above and below the wheels all seem level, but I have noticed that the four wheels are not right - the wheels are pointing to the left when in fact the road wheels are straight, finally when I turn left there is no unusual noise, but when turning right there is a terrible noise coming from the rear, its like the diff is not compensating for the outer wheel going faster than the inner wheel, I hope there is someone out there who can help, I did put two new led lamps into the front side-lights, but cannot think it could be as simple as that, reading other posts and poss remedies, the battery is not old, and will start the engine as many times as I turn off and on, the alternator was replaced by LR approx 4 years ago, the model is a TD6 HSE 2005 55 plate, please give it your best, its only 1st Jan so much year left.. regards Brian Bow down

Post #15859692nd Jan 2016 1:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Welcome to DISCO3.CO.UK, Brian. Thumbs Up

The fact that you've not used the D3 for 3 weeks could be the key to this. I suspect you have a quiescent drain on the battery somewhere (EAS Compressor, possibly) and, even though the battery is relatively new, it may not be in the best state of charge. It's quite common to see these faults when the battery voltage is low.

If you can, I suggest you take a voltage reading across the battery terminals using a digital multimeter. Then take another reading across the battery with the engine running. Post both values here.

The suspension fault may just be related to the battery state of charge but could also be a sign that a new compressor is imminent (if you haven't had one already). You've done well to get 9 years out of the original one if you've not had this replaced recently.

The noise you hear coming from the back end could just be the EPB shoes not releasing properly on one side due to lack of use.

Suggest you fill in your profile completely so folks can better help you in future. Thumbs Up

If you're unable to do any of this, there's a very helpful chap not far from you in Edenbridge who may be able to help. He has a few other things on his plate of late so may not be able to help immediately but Site Sponsor geoff. (remember the dot!) is a top bloke and will be able to sort you out.

Let us know how you get on measuring the battery state of charge. Thumbs Up

Good luck,

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #15860102nd Jan 2016 10:25 am
camelrock

England 

Before anything else the first thing to do will be to get the codes read and get it on a ramp to check out the noise at the rear...

Post #15860142nd Jan 2016 10:31 am
Nc1989

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Surely all the symptoms point to steering angle sensor failure meaning It thinks it's in full left lock all the time. The noise when turning right is probably related to that too cause it will be trying to fight itself in that condition.

As said the best way forward is to get it plugged in and codes read but pay particular attention to the live values from the steering angle sensor (should read 0degrees with wheels straight)

Post #15861062nd Jan 2016 2:10 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

The steering angle sensor is a possibility but I would have expected the OP to have reported problems before he left it for three weeks. Rolling Eyes

Are you suggesting that the steering angle sensor has become detached/failed during the three weeks that the car has been parked up? Confused

Regardless, the battery is not going to be in the best of health after being unused for three weeks.

Everything starts with the battery (if you'll excuse the pun). Wink

Steve
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #15862732nd Jan 2016 8:15 pm
Nc1989

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I don't see where the OP States exactly when the faults first came up Rolling Eyes

Post #15863022nd Jan 2016 9:41 pm
bririvers

United Kingdom 

Hi thanks to everyone for their inputs, I have today ordered a Faultmate FCR which I hope will point me in the right direction, strangely about that wheel position sensor, because that definitely makes sense, as I think I said in my original post when you have displayed on the screen the wheels and how they move left/right etc. at the moment they are pointing Left when in fact the car tyres are straight, I will read the codes when I get the gizmo and hope that sheds some light, I have checked the voltage at the battery and that all seems ok and within limits. I have had a long battle with the drain pipes and am forever rodding them, but occasionally end up with a shower on the first bend of the day, so was wondering whether or not the water was trickling down the A frame and onto the electronics, re the compressor I had the filters done a couple of years ago and at the moment it makes all the right noises and before the car [upon starting] realised there was a fault would let the vehicle raise before lowering straightaway - if this is all a result of not using her for a few weeks, it beggars belief that a vehicle that cost a kings ransom should behave like this, I also have an old Saab 93 convertible which is 18 years old and is bone dry !!! Rant over. Shocked

Post #15873444th Jan 2016 8:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just be aware that if it is the Steering Angle - the FCR does not have the function to reset / calibrate it. For that you will need either the Nanocom Evo or the IID.

FCR simply allows you to read and identify logged error codes and clear them.

Whistle

Post #15875895th Jan 2016 10:36 am
bririvers

United Kingdom 

oh ! I thought it would work wonders [the Faultmate] - strange thing is that all of these faults only manifested after the 3 week lay up, prior to this the old girl was performing well - apart from going into limp mode if I was on a motorway and accelerating hard, but this would clear on shut down and restart, all I can do is wait to see what can be identified/cleared from the faultmate - if it turns out to be the steering sensor would you know if the faultmate will identify the fault, at least I can go to a LR guy I know and discuss with him my findings. Regards Brian

Post #15876285th Jan 2016 12:06 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

It may be capable of identifying the fault but it will not allow you to calibrate it.

IIDTool is more capable than the BBS FCR (which is just that; a Fault Code Reader).

Steve

Post #15876335th Jan 2016 12:11 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I've just had a few weeks of fun with the HDC fault etc, my fault was indeed the steering angle sensor. From what I've learned is that the 4x4 info stops giving a steering angle when the HDC fault is showing. I'm not sure how to copy a link but I've written quite a bit about the steering angle sensor as have a few others. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #15876925th Jan 2016 2:11 pm
bririvers

United Kingdom 

I would be most grateful for that info, its just strange that prior to the 3 week layup everything was fine and then all hell broke loose, does anyone know where the steering sensor is situated? Would a IId reader be able to recalibrate the sensor or does it look like a new sensor is on the horizon? Once again a big thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to help me. regards Brian Wink

Post #15880795th Jan 2016 10:58 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Did you ever look at your battery voltages, as suggested initially? Before and after starting the engine?

Have you charged the battery since the problem arose?

Steve

Post #15880915th Jan 2016 11:13 pm
Discomadness

bririvers wrote:
I would be most grateful for that info, its just strange that prior to the 3 week layup everything was fine and then all hell broke loose, does anyone know where the steering sensor is situated? Would a IId reader be able to recalibrate the sensor or does it look like a new sensor is on the horizon? Once again a big thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to help me. regards Brian Wink

The steering sensor is mounted at the bottom of the steering column, if you remove the insulation panel above the pedal, it's held on by 2 Philips quick release screws, some have said to remove the right hand kick panel but I didnt, also disconnect the footwell light, the next bit you need to get your head down by the pedals, it's a bit of a contortion to get at it and look up you'll see what I've attached in the photo basically the greeny yellow ring is I assume fitted to the steel shaft of the column, that ring has big castelations on it which rotate the White ring of the sensor as you turn the steering wheel. What seems to be common is the yellow green ring becomes detatched from the steel and then doesn't turn the sensor. If you get someone to turn the steering wheel while your looking it will be evident or not if it's turning. To repair I used a small syringe with 'sticks like sh*t' adhesive to bond the yellow green bit to the steel of the column. Forum member rusty then recalibrated the zero with his nancom. You can do it with an IID tool too I believe. I will take a photo of the repair tomorrow.
Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #15881015th Jan 2016 11:30 pm
Discomadness

After re reading the thread I think my first port of call would be as woolmeister has said and check the battery out. Especially as the car has been laid up. A low battery can cause havoc with the disco. The brake light switch can also give a myriad of issues. Good luck with it. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #15881115th Jan 2016 11:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >