Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

International trip a week or two after delivery of new D4?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
StuartR

Iceland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
International trip a week or two after delivery of new D4?

Hi everyone.
I wanted to check with you all about your experiences regarding delivery of new D4's. I ordered a 2016.5 HSE which is scheduled to be delivered in the first week of April. I am really looking forward to it. I live in Iceland, and the car is being shipped here.

My girlfriend is currently living in Oslo, and I was thinking of taking a vacation in the spring, rather than summer, and going to visit her. The ferry from Iceland takes about 3 days and stops in the Faroe Islands halfway through. I thought it would be really fun to take the car and drive around Norway and Denmark for a bit, as I have not had the chance to really visit them much.

I asked if it was possible to just pick up the car from Solihull, but Land Rover Iceland said it was not...
In any case, the biggest variable I see in this plan is the challenge of taking a nearly new car and going on a major trip before it is broken in. Is this inadvisable? I know the D4's are supposed to be more reliable, but I know that major problems tend to happen quickly if it is a manufacturing issue. I don't really want to be stuck in a Land Rover shop in Torshavn as the ferry sails away...

What is the consensus on this? I will likely leave two weeks after delivery...

Post #160901912th Feb 2016 3:11 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Will be fine. What's the point in buying one if you can't use it to do what you want when you want? Thumbs Up

Post #160902512th Feb 2016 3:15 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mine went from dealer to Verbier 24hours after I collected it. That was 11 years ago, so you'll have no problem.

To be honest, it was probably the best way to run it in. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #160903512th Feb 2016 3:35 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

We have done 3000 miles around two weeks after picking it up and it was awesome. So much quieter than old one better seats at least for me and my fooked back.
Just enjoy it if it breaks it is only a car - fixable.
G

Post #160903812th Feb 2016 3:42 pm
StuartR

Thank you all for the confidence! This is my first new car in 15 years...I am currently driving a Freelander 2 that I got nearly new in 2009, so I am quite excited to step up to the D4. I am photographer and drive all through the country, the highlands, through rivers and so on, so I wanted to get the outgoing model as it is a bit more rugged and more geared towards airiness and visibility than the newer models. I was shocked at how low and dark the Discovery Sport felt compared to my FL2...it drove nicely, but the visibility and driving position felt awful to me. I live in a beautiful place, so sit me up high and give me a lot of glass!
The photo below is a picture of the road out to the farm I stay at several times a year. An hour and a half down a single lane dirt road, only open about 5 months a year.

Post #160913112th Feb 2016 6:50 pm
boyd

United Kingdom 

Have done various overland trips with D4's and RRS's straight out of the box, even drove to Montenegro from the UK in a Sport two days after collecting it from Gaydon and apart from the Nav freezing in Germany with a map download error all was fine. Thumbs Up

Post #160913612th Feb 2016 6:58 pm
boyd

United Kingdom 

StuartR wrote:
Thank you all for the confidence! This is my first new car in 15 years...I am currently driving a Freelander 2 that I got nearly new in 2009, so I am quite excited to step up to the D4. I am photographer and drive all through the country, the highlands, through rivers and so on, so I wanted to get the outgoing model as it is a bit more rugged and more geared towards airiness and visibility than the newer models. I was shocked at how low and dark the Discovery Sport felt compared to my FL2...it drove nicely, but the visibility and driving position felt awful to me. I live in a beautiful place, so sit me up high and give me a lot of glass!
The photo below is a picture of the road out to the farm I stay at several times a year. An hour and a half down a single lane dirt road, only open about 5 months a year.

That route 622? Looks very similar....

8)

Post #160914312th Feb 2016 7:01 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

On topic - I am sure it will be absolutely fine and if there are any problems they are most likely to be small.

Off topic - I have always wanted to visit Iceland, the scenery always looks so stunning.
 Andy

Post #160915312th Feb 2016 7:09 pm
StuartR

Hi Boyd,
No, it's in the East, but the road is not so different it seems!

Post #160915512th Feb 2016 7:11 pm
blackdog1

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: International trip a week or two after delivery of new D4?

StuartR wrote:
Hi everyone.
I wanted to check with you all about your experiences regarding delivery of new D4's. I ordered a 2016.5 HSE which is scheduled to be delivered in the first week of April. I am really looking forward to it. I live in Iceland, and the car is being shipped here.

My girlfriend is currently living in Oslo, and I was thinking of taking a vacation in the spring, rather than summer, and going to visit her. The ferry from Iceland takes about 3 days and stops in the Faroe Islands halfway through. I thought it would be really fun to take the car and drive around Norway and Denmark for a bit, as I have not had the chance to really visit them much.

I asked if it was possible to just pick up the car from Solihull, but Land Rover Iceland said it was not...
In any case, the biggest variable I see in this plan is the challenge of taking a nearly new car and going on a major trip before it is broken in. Is this inadvisable? I know the D4's are supposed to be more reliable, but I know that major problems tend to happen quickly if it is a manufacturing issue. I don't really want to be stuck in a Land Rover shop in Torshavn as the ferry sails away...

What is the consensus on this? I will likely leave two weeks after delivery...
my D4 only had 600 miles on the clock when we left the UK for Spain in Sept , Towing a 2 ton caravan, don't worry, if your car is as good as mine you have nothing to worry about, we only hear news about the cars that have problems. Enjoy, Denis.  
Post #160916612th Feb 2016 7:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Wow, what a great first run in the car! I would have every confidence that it'll be fine.

Having driven FL2's for over 4 years (and 130,000 miles or so), having sat in DS's and seen the Disco 5 I couldn't agree with your comments about the driving position, visibility and glass area more! Thumbs Up
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #160918212th Feb 2016 7:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >