ST53VEN12th Mar 2016 10:59 pmST53VEN is confirmed
markagj13th Mar 2016 4:43 pmmarkagj is confirmed
shields16th Mar 2016 5:19 pmshields is confirmed
User Registered Confirmed
Brainzzz4th Apr 2016 9:47 am

Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
PIAA Lamps, Horns, Bulbs & Wipers - NOW CLOSED

Please note, this group buy has now ended.

Hi guys,

I'm pleased to be able to offer you a group buy for PIAA lamps, horns, bulbs and wipers. Please note, there are a few "TBC"s at the moment, as I'm still waiting on some information, so please bear with me, but I wanted to make a start. I will update the thread with the full info when I get it.

Update: More info now added (04/03/16).

All prices include VAT (which I'm afraid won't be reclaimable) but P&P needs to be added. Here's what I can offer:

Lamps

80 Series Lamps

These are large 200mm auxiliary lamps with black power-coated steel shelled housings, prism cut glass lenses and chrome retaining rings. They are supplied with white and black plastic covers and 135/90W H4 bulbs offering an output comparable to, or indeed a little greater than 35W HID units. They're available in a Spot beam for maximum throw, Driving beam offering a little extra width and also a very wide spreading "Fog" beam. You can have mismatched beams if you wish - I opted for one spot and one driving. You can find details and pictures of my fitment here including unaltered beam comparison photos: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic140743.html

Click the thumbnails to enlarge - Spot, Driving and Fog from left to right.

Click image to enlarge

80 Pro XT Lamps

Click image to enlarge

These smaller 170mm lamps have a more slimline design and are offered by LR as an OE accessory at great expense. They have die cast aluminium housings and, unlike the genuine LR option, are supplied with 120W H3 bulbs. As with the 80 Series, they include white and black style covers. Available as a Driving beam only.

I am now informed that the XT lamps are currently out of stock, with a lead time of 2-3 weeks (as of 04/03/16). I apologise in advance if this causes any delay.

In terms of my recommendations, I suggest the full-size 80 Series when possible, because it offers the greater intensity and output, but the smaller, thinner XT units may be easier for fitting in tighter locations (the XT can also be mounted longitudinally - i.e. to the back). These are high quality lamps designed for rallying and are ideal of off-road use. The high wattage halogen offers excellent colour rendering and a warm white light that is more favourable to the human eye. They offer high intensity and excellent beam control offering far greater throw than, for instance, cheap Ebay light bars.

NB: As supplied, neither of the above lamps are road legal due to the high output bulbs. The lamps themselves are E-marked with the exception of the Spot beam pattern, so could be legalised if desired (but obviously don't expect them to be so bright).

Prices:

80 Series pair - £201.50, coming down to £174.50 subject to numbers. RRP is £263.21.
80 Pro XT pair - £173.50, coming down to £150.50 subject to numbers. RRP is £222.58 with the LR ones costing more again.

The numbers required for the lower price is still TBC at present. Update: Discounted prices are available if we can get 5 pairs of lamps or more but I shall add myself for another pair so only 4 other pairs are needed.

If anyone would like four lamps (e.g. for roof mounting) then I can do...

4x 80 Series - £393/£339
4x 80 Pro XT - £337/£291
Pair of each - £365/£315

Wiring harnesses are available if required - £94 for the 80 Series (including the dipped beam function. RRP £136.12), with 80 XT kits being an additional £53 or £45 according to numbers as above. I opted for DIY wiring and I imagine most of you would do too - please remember that these bulbs draw considerable current, so use a nice thick gauge of wire to ensure adequate voltage is delivered (and naturally, a relay system is an absolute necessity). Also, please don't use Scotchlok-type connectors to tap into the main beam!

Horns

If you're fed up with the rather weedy factory horns and want some extra volume then this is for you! These PIAA horns pack a punch but are small and easy to install. They're available in high (600/500Hz), mid (500/400Hz) and bass tones (400/330Hz) - I added a pair of the bass tone horns to supplement my Stebel with which I reckon they are broadly comparable on volume. You can see mine in situ here:

Price - £32.50 per pair, falling to £28 if we can get 10 or more. RRP is £42.72.

Bulbs

The following are available - all prices are per pair. Night Tech is PIAA's mid-range offering, with the Xtreme Whites being the signature range (they're the "whitest", if you're into that sort of thing). The competition bulbs are then the top of the range non-E-marked bulbs.

E-Marked bulbs (fully road legal)

H1 - Night Tech - £23.75 - RRP £33.73
H3 - Night Tech - £23.75 - RRP £33.73
H4 - Night Tech - £25.25 - RRP £35.80
H7 - Night Tech - £25.25 - RRP £35.80
H11 - Night Tech - £28.25 - RRP £39.91
H1 - Xtreme White Plus - £39.95 - RRP £55.40
H3 - Xtreme White Plus - £39.95 - RRP £55.40
H4 - Xtreme White Plus - £45.70 - RRP £63.56
H7 - Xtreme White Plus - £42.70 - RRP £59.27
H11 - Xtreme White Plus - £49.35 - RRP £68.44
H13 - Xtreme White Plus - £68.85 - RRP £95.56
HB3 - Xtreme White Plus - £61.80 - RRP £85.74
HB4 - Xtreme White Plus - £61.80 - RRP £85.74

Non-E-Marked bulbs (not road legal) - These bulbs can offer great performance gains because they are not constrained by regulations.

H1 55=100W - Competition - £57.30 - RRP £79.54
H3 55=110W - Competition - £53.20 - RRP £73.38
H4 60/55=130/120W - Competition - £71.30 - RRP £98.93
H4 80/80=150/150W - Competition - £77.25 - RRP £107.16
H4 60/80=140/165W - Competition - £65.25 - RRP £91.57
H8 35=70W - Xtreme White - £64.50 - RRP £89.42
H9 65=120W - Xtreme White - £52.80 - RRP £74.82

My intention is that bulbs will be available at fixed prices rather than being subject to order numbers. These prices are fixed, but it transpires that I do need to group orders together, so it may be necessary to wait a while according to demand.

Silicone Wiper Blades

These are available in various sizes and a choice of conventional framed (inc. a spoiler variant) or flat designs. The recommendation I've been given is that the conventional framed design offers superior performance vs the flat type. Please note - they're not available for all vehicles (e.g. the FFRR L322 and, I believe, FL2). I understand Defender sizes are to be newly available. The silicone wipers are designed to maintain a water repellant coating on the screen - a preparation wipe is provided with each blade and the wipers should be run dry for a few minutes to start with.

Prices (per pair):

"Super Silicone" - Conventional framed type - £31.35 - RRP £44.23
"Sporza" - Framed with spoiler - £40.25 - RRP £55.85
"Silicone-Tech" Flat type - £37.85 - RRP £52.51

Update: I can also include extra blade refills for the Super Silicone and Sporza wipers for £13.65 (RRP £18.96) for 15-22" and £17.50 for 24, 26 & 28" (RRP £24.24) per pair if desired. Thumbs Up

Important Note: Having fitted a pair of Sporza wipers to my D3, I found the frame was restricted by the wiper arm since it's designed for flat wipers - this can however be resolved by bending the wiper arms inwards to provide clearance. This applies to both Sporza and Super Silicone wipers - I imagine, but cannot confirm, that the Silicone Tech flat wipers would not have this issue.

Click image to enlarge

Prices are fixed, but as with bulbs, I need to group orders so waiting may be necessary, I'm afraid.

Timescales and signing-up

My intention is to run the GB as follows:

Bulbs and wipers will be available "straight away" and will run for the duration of the GB until 23:59 GMT on Sunday the 3rd of April. Update: It turns out I need to group orders together for this to work, so while bulbs and wipers don't have a set time, I shall need to order them in batches. I shall be happy to let you know at the time of any queries what the current state is in this regard.

Lamps and Horns will be subject to numbers, so will wait until the Sunday 13th March and see how many we've got. If we have the required numbers, then the batch can go ahead, if it's near, then I'll give it a few more days to see if we can reach it. If it isn't reached I will then offer to accept orders at the higher price or you can try waiting longer if you wish. If an initial group order does go through, the higher prices will still be available until the end of the GB - 23:59 GMT Sunday 3rd April. I hope this makes it as fair as possible for all.

Please ensure you're signed up in time if you wish to participate. If you only want bulbs/wipers then use the appropriate section appropriate above. If you want lamps and horns then please sign up under lamps and make it clear that you want horns also. If you want lamps/horns then that's fine to include bulbs/wipers as well.

Please only sign up for lamps or horns if you intend to go ahead at at least the lower price - just to keep the numbers clear.

Payment

Payment can be by bank transfer or you can use Paypal (credit card etc.) subject to the extra 3.4% + 20p fees. UK only please, unless agreed/arranged otherwise. As above, all prices inculde VAT but not P&P which is TBC (See Below). VAT isn't reclaimable, I'm afraid, as it's only me personally that's managing this. I am not making any profit myself and the forum will benefit from every sale. Just a small disclaimer that I make no endorsement as to the fitment, usage or legality of such products unless explicitly stated.

Update: Delivery Info - Please note, it may now be the case that delivery prices will vary a little according to batch numbers. If that's not the case I'll update the post again, but otherwise I'll be able to confirm prices before accepting any orders.

Any questions, please ask and I will do my best to answer them. I will update the post/thread with any missing/extra info as it becomes available.

Thanks for reading
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Last edited by Lost for Words on 11th May 2016 12:07 pm. Edited 9 times in total 
Post #161707327th Feb 2016 1:55 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Great work, I'm interested in a pair of 80 pro xt Thumbs Up

Post #161710227th Feb 2016 2:57 pm
Lost for Words

Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC

Post #161710527th Feb 2016 3:08 pm
druand

Scotland 

Thanks for this.
I would definitely be interested in a pair of HB 3 white vision plus.

P.S. I am a member of this forum. I am Chief MSA Scrutineer for Border Hills Rally which is part of Land Rover Defender Rally Championship also eligibility scrutineer for Scottish Comp Safaris. Just a wee bit familiar with Defenders and Bowler derivatives.

Post #161715827th Feb 2016 4:36 pm
Lost for Words

Excellent. I'll update with a price ASAP. Thumbs Up

Post #161721827th Feb 2016 6:10 pm
Lost for Words

Here is what these lamps can achieve (80 Series - one spot, one drive). These photos are completely unaltered and with identical settings. This is on my D3 with the full adaptive xenons:

Before/After

The signpost at the end of the road is over 500m away:

A great improvement. You get tighter beam control than LEDs, and none of the warm up delay of HID.

Thumbs Up

Post #161745428th Feb 2016 8:56 am
Lost for Words

Added a better pic of the 80 XT lamps (thanks to MartinK on Defender2). Thumbs Up

Glad to see there's fair interest in the horns. Trying to get the remaining info soon and then I'll be able to fill in the gaps - particularly as regards bulb and wiper prices.

What can I say to persuade anyone who's tempted that you need some driving lamps!? Laughing They really do make a great difference to night time driving. Even if you have great lights already, like the Disco xenons, they still have worthwhile improvements to offer, that no bulb upgrade etc. can achieve. Thumbs Up

Post #161824429th Feb 2016 5:19 pm
Lost for Words

Come on chaps, you know you want some nice lamps...

Post #16192592nd Mar 2016 5:12 pm
aidnoakes

Bulgaria 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Stop making this thread pop up Twisted Evil I want them but I have no clue about vehicle wiring. Yes I have done a GSM unit to my fbhic, and I think I can do the horns that I've signed up for, but the lights scare me. Its also how the hell do I mount them.

I'm a Brit living in Romania and every time you ask for something to be made they just see an open wallet.....

Bas Remap, EGR's Blanked, Emulators, Alisport Decat pipe, BAS FBHIC with add on GSM module (roundabout way for timed climate). 

Post #16192662nd Mar 2016 5:30 pm
Lost for Words

Wiring looms are available if that helps? Alternatively, I did consider offering to make up some looms myself...

Electrically, it's quite simple to do really - just a connection from the main beam (soldered splice preferable, or a heat shrink butt connector), a relay or two and I do recommend a switch. TBH, I'd say it's no harder to do than the horns.

Mounting...hmm, naturally the full bar design as I've done is one option, but a single pair of brackets would do for just the one pair. The XTs could also be mounted to the grille if suitably reinforced.

Thumbs Up

Post #16192772nd Mar 2016 5:52 pm
Lost for Words

Post updated with further info inc. bulb and wiper prices etc.

We need 5 pairs of lamps (minimim - more welcome) to qualify for the lower price, and I'll add myself for another pair, so only 4 other pairs are needed. More would be welcomed though, if the demand should arise.

Horns seem to be doing well, so please keep signing up. There's plenty of time to go, so I expect the lower price will be reached. Smile

On the wiper front, I've been informmed that the conventional framed design is to be recommended as slightly superior in performance to the flat style. Naturally, the flat design is less obtrusive so you still have the choice.

Delivery prices are not yet confirmed and it transpires that the need to order in reasonable batches may give slightly variable prices as stuff will now come via me personally.

Let me know if you spot anything I've missed or that isn't clear and feel free to get in touch with any questions. Thumbs Up

Post #16202214th Mar 2016 2:48 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'm definitely up for a pair of horns for my Defender, the fitted one has given up the ghost completely now so I'll need something for the MOT in a week or so.
 Clive

Post #16202844th Mar 2016 4:57 pm
Lost for Words

Ah, when you say a week or so...? Only that might be an issue as I've stated the Sunday after next as the earliest to go through with any orders (in order to be fair re numbers), after which it'll also still take a few days. Does that scupper it?

Post #16202864th Mar 2016 5:04 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Good point - but I think I can lash something in for now, so I'll still go ahead with the PIAA ones please Thumbs Up
 Clive

Post #16203184th Mar 2016 5:55 pm
Lost for Words

Thumbs Up

Post #16203204th Mar 2016 5:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >