Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

2007 D3 SE (1st Anniversary of Ownership)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jetmech

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
2007 D3 SE (1st Anniversary of Ownership)

Collected our Discovery today, after an anxious week wondering what I had forgotten to check!
It's a 57 plate TDV6 SE manual in grey with 71000 on the clock.
First impressions are very favorable. I had an 80 mile drive home, mainly on the A1 and it was nice to be high up again after 5 years in a Volvo V70.
The only thing that I noticed was that the cruise control wouldn't work (the radio buttons seemed fine). This might have been operator error, as I haven't read the handbook yet.
The trip computer claimed an average fuel consumption of 36.6 mpg, that doesn't seem too bad and is in fact better than my Fiesta ST.

Simon

Last edited by jetmech on 6th Mar 2017 8:26 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #16215727th Mar 2016 4:31 pm
jetmech

Not such a productive day today.
Yesterday I started on the belt change and managed to do the rear belt in an afternoon with a bit of a struggle!
Today I started on the front belts. As it's a 2007 car the oil pump is also going to be replaced. The pump was due in today but didn't make it to the dealer, so now it looks like Monday before I can collect it (first setback).
Then the 3/4 drive socket set I borrowed to do the crankshaft bolt let me down. The cheap bi-hex socket just slips. I will need a decent single hex (second setback).
Whilst removing the starter (not sure how I am going to get it back in and connected up!) I noticed some heavy rust on the sump so I decided to clean it up with a rotary wire brush and treat the effected areas. But with very little effort the sump sprang a leak! (third setback)
As you can see there is quite a bit of surface rust on the underside of the car, I wonder if it was use to launch boats into the sea? Much cleaning and waxoiling to come I fear.
If anyone has a spare sump please let me know Smile

Simon.
2008MY Dicovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual 

Post #162747518th Mar 2016 6:40 pm
jetmech

All back together now, with a new sump from Duckworths. Good for another 7 years!
Cleaned it yesterday and fitted a load bay cover. So now we can get on and enjoy the Disco experience!? Wink
 Simon.

Post #163137626th Mar 2016 3:18 pm
jetmech

Whilst in France last week, we had normal height only alert. It only lasted half a day and then seemed fine. Today I thought I would check for codes and found C1A20-64 and U0132-87. The C1A20-64 was also current and the alert was back.
Went to the suspension pump with the intention of giving it an overhaul before it fails completely. The fun has now begun!
When I sprayed penetrating oil on the pipe connectors the orange one on the drier started to froth, perhaps the end plate is cracked. I was unable to completely remove the pump before going to work because the lower of the outlet pipes is refusing to release. The collet is damaged and so is the pipe now Embarassed
This problem pipe is connected to removable cap. What is behind this? Is it safe to just unscrew it to get the pump assembly out?
 Simon.

Post #166555810th Jun 2016 2:08 pm
jetmech

So we have now owned our Disco 3 for 1 year. I must say I have been pleasantly surprised.
It's always a risk buying a 9 year old car privately and modern cars can throw quite a few interesting challenges to the DIY mechanic.
I budgeted for an IID tool from the start and it has been useful already albeit for fairly minor matters.
The car was due a full service including belts when I purchased it and although the vendor offered to have the belts changed in the asking price, he wouldn't include the oil pump. So I accepted £400 off the asking price and did the job myself, however after buying tooling it probably cost me a little over £500 to do.
Over the year I have replaced the front discs and pads and the upper and lower front suspension arms.
The only failures have been, the sump (rusted through) rear o/s door lock (motor needed cleaning) and the suspension compressor, this started with a cracked drier cap but when I tried to overhaul the pump at the same time, the casings were badly corroded resulting in the threads of the cylinder bolts pulling out after a couple of months. So a new Dunlop style pump was fitted.
We have contributed about 13000 miles to the 84000 total and hope to add many more. As long as old Diesels aren't banned or taxed into oblivion!
 Simon.

Post #17881096th Mar 2017 8:52 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

So you have had a reasonable year cost wise and you come from a mechanical background Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #17881366th Mar 2017 9:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >