Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Vibration when stationary
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
xyplex

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

They replaced the engine mounts only

Post #181514615th May 2017 12:11 pm
Pugrot

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
LR4 vibration when stationary

Hi I am new to the forum having recently acquired a used 2012
lr4 sdv6. I have googled this issue to death but haven't so far come across anything concrete on this issue. When stationary and in drive, I get vibration thru steering wheel and seats. If I shift to neutral it somewhat lessons or if I shift to command shift s2 it is also not as noticeable as s1. There is no vibration when driving.
I have had the vehicle serviced, engine mounts checked, Maf sensor replaced and and induction clean but the vibration is still there. The vibration didn't exist when I purchased the vehicle so at a loss where to go to next. I am thinking that perhaps the transmission may need to be looked at although there is nothing else indicating it warrants attention.

Any thoughts - haven't checked the map sensor yet but didn't think this would be the source.

Thanks in advance

Post #182056830th May 2017 11:48 am
xyplex

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Have they checked the vacuum pipes to the engine mounts abnd totally clear and also that a good vacuum exsist?

When they checked my vacuum pipes they found bits of silicon partially blocking vacuum.

Post #182060630th May 2017 1:06 pm
Pugrot

Thanks for the prompt reply xyplex. I can't be sure they checked the the vacuum pipes as I reckon they just hooked it up to the machine to see if there any faults. They claim there are no other faults being reported. I am no mechanic by any yardstick So to check the pipes is it something I can do or requires a mechanic with the right tools. What exactly am I looking for.

They did say they ran compressed air through the engine including the turbo hose to check for leaks but nothing found.

Post #182061330th May 2017 1:19 pm
xyplex

Normally they disconnect pipe from vacuum motor and disconnect pipe from the engine mounts and blow air through to ensure nothing stuck within the pipes. They then connect the pipes to the engine mounts and use a hand held vacuum pump at the other end and vacuum to about 0.9 psi to ensure if the vacuum will old and that there are no leaks.

This test ensures that the U bellows within the engine mounts open up as they should when idling

If these test pass then your problem is else where and not the engine mounts

Post #182065430th May 2017 2:56 pm
Pugrot

Thanks again Xyplex. I haven't had the chance to take the car back yet but rang around a few landrover mechanics to get an indication of the cost to replace the engine mounts and it ranges between $1800-2300 to supply and fit. The parts are approx $500 with the rest being labour. Apparently it takes about 10-12 hrs to do.

As I have been told the mounts are oil filled I won't really know if there is a problem until they take a closer look e.g. If there is oil sitting around the mount then they need replacing. Considering disco only has 80,000 kms of highway driving I would not be expecting these to have failed so early.

What is more interesting is that the few workshops I spoke to said they have not had to replace mounts on a diesel LR4 yet..in other words they said it isn't a common problem they have come across. However my landrover mechanic said almost the opposite i.e. That the lr4 mounts are known for failing.

Who to believe....😱😩🤔

Post #182661514th Jun 2017 2:17 pm
xyplex

Mounts are known for failing. My mounts were done under warranty but the engineer at the dealer said that they charge 5 hours labour to replace both mounts. Make sure they carry out the vacuum test on both mounts to ensure mount bellows open up if they don't then they are not working. Also get them to check the vacuum pipe to the mounts are not blocked or have a leak in them as if there is a Tiny hole in the pipe it will suck dirt and eventually the pipe will get blocked.

Hope my experience helps you out.

Post #182670614th Jun 2017 6:30 pm
Pugrot

It does and many thanks for the advice. Car booked in at a new mechanic end of month and he has said he wants to put the car up on a hoist to check if the mounts are the actual problem so I will also ask him about the vacuum test and lines too. Will keep you posted.

Post #182742416th Jun 2017 1:17 pm
Pugrot

Vibration at idle

Well engine mounts replaced even though they didn't show signs of failure but no change if anything the vibration feels a little worse. Computer also reset. Not sure where to from here as mechanic is at a loss. Had it up on the hoist to check exhaust and transmission mounts but all look ok. Car runs perfectly except for the vibration at idle and considering most of the driving is urban, I can't just ignore and try to live with it considering it wasn't there 4 months ago.

Post #18334714th Jul 2017 1:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >