Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > For Sale & Wanted [Archive]

[Wanted] Damaged Adaptive D3 Lamp Unit or Two
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
[Wanted] Damaged Adaptive D3 Lamp Unit or Two

As per the title, I have a little experiment I'd like to try and I'm looking for a damaged or otherwise very cheap D3 light unit - must be adaptive, because it concerns the cornering lamps.

Only criteria are that the cornering lamp reflector must be undamaged and intact and that the area of lens in front of said reflector must be present (but cracked is fine). Any other faults are fine.

Not looking to spend more than £25 including postage because it needs to be potentially disposable. Would welcome two units if cheap enough to justify.

Please get in touch if you have anything. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #162955222nd Mar 2016 6:18 pm
Lost for Words

Just to update this, I've bought a halogen unit from disco-nut but if anyone has exactly what I'm after in the near future then I may still be interested. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC

Post #163161927th Mar 2016 9:39 am
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Put me out of my misery, what's the experiment Big Cry

Post #163162527th Mar 2016 9:47 am
Lost for Words

If I told you that I'd have to kill you... Twisted Evil Laughing

I want to try H11 or H9 bulbs (H8, H11 and H9s are interchangeable with a little trimming) in the cornering lamps, but I daren't stick them in my adaptive units (particularly the new one that's under warranty) without first trialling them in something to check how they fair with the extra heat of the 55/65W bulbs, so the plan is to rig up the unit and run them at various duty cycles. I'm expecting them to be fine but with the melting issues people experience on early L322 units (with specified H8 bulbs), the situation is in the back of my mind.

My LEDs that I have presently are great, but they don't offer increased intensity (they do add spread and maintain the same sort of intensity as the H8s). If I'm happy that H9 bulbs aren't going to melt anything, they output 2100lm vs 800lm from H8s, and they will get the beam pattern back because they're optically compatible. Besides that, it's just electrical considerations (increased current), and I may have to revert to filament sidelights if the LEDs don't take kindly to the heat.

I did have another trial in mind re adaptive lights too - I was looking into using the feedback from the potentiometers to control auxiliary lighting (to tailor it to the road a little), but after a brief probing session a while back I didn't get such clear feedback as I'd hoped for, so I think I'm going to leave that thought alone (it's a very tempting and novel prospect though!).

Thumbs Up

Post #163166027th Mar 2016 11:08 am
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Sounds good, a bit more light from my cornering Lamps would come in useful, I suppose how infrequently they come on may be of benefit too.

Post #163166327th Mar 2016 11:13 am
Lost for Words

Yep, that's my thinking. As long as they can take, say, 30s of continuous operation if sitting as a busy junction etc. then they should be fine. Will be a cheap and effective upgrade if it's all good too. Smile

Just toying with the electrical side ATM. I believe the FETs used to control them are the same as the dip and main beam and are easily capable of taking the increased current, but the applicable circuitry in the CJB I can't be sure of. I imagine it's fine too, but again, could be expensive if it weren't. Then there's the functioning of the FETs - they form the circuit protection and are capable of current limitation (hence the flickering of xenons if not enabled) so that all depends on how they're set up.

I can easily use relays, but A) the frequent wet switching would be far from ideal and B) I'd like to retain the PWM dimming if possible. That may mean solid state relays are the way to go, but that's more hassle and cost, so if the existing circuitry is up to it, that's the best and easiest option. It's a bit of a minefield!

Thumbs Up

Post #163167427th Mar 2016 11:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >