Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Reversing when towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
RAW

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

You can turn the hitch guidance on and of via the revering screen, when you select reverse and touch the screen you will see the options if they are there but will not let you select you know it's a PDI overlook.
 MY18 RRS Autobiography Fuji White
MY15 D4 silver Commercial
MY11 D4 Fuji White Landmark (Gone)
MY11 D4 Silver Commercial(Gone)
Isuzu Utah D Max(Gone)
John Deere Gator HPX
Nifty Lift HR12
Kubota KX41-2 

Post #16384239th Apr 2016 11:24 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

RAW wrote:
The easiest way to see if it's been activated is select reverse gear and touch the screen, you should get the option to zoom in on the hitch. This is taking it for granted you have reverse camera.
My reversing camera was working but none of the Tow assist or hitch guidance was available, 20min in dealers and they said it had been overlooked on PDI quick activation and all was well. Thumbs Up

Can anyone confirm that the tow assist/guidance feature is standard on all cars with a rear view camera and would the trailer symbol only appear on the screen, when a trailer was physically attached ? Also I have noticed on mine that when towing, if I stop at traffic lights and select neutral, the reversing tone sounds continuously and a warning screen is shown instead of the sat nav ?

Post #18106783rd May 2017 11:28 am
Washwipe

England 

Despite my electrics being dealer fitted it seems they struggle to fully enable them. Checked mine with the IID Tool and it says they are enabled, yet there is also two other options shown apart from the 13 Pin, 7 Pin etc. I've also enabled!
Towbar: Current Trailer Tow Attachment.
Trailer Towing Ball: Current Fitted.

This then gives me an option of the Trailer box in the bottom right hand corner.

Before you Hitch Up, press the Trailer Box, it will then be highlighted. Also press the other two boxes, one disables the sensors the other turns off the guide lines/bars

When selecting reverse I then get a single solid yellow line from the Towball, must be linked to Hitch Asssit which I don't have Exclamation also when you get within about a metre of the Hitch, the camera then zooms in on the Hitch.

Even when the 13 Pin was dealer enabled I still had the Reverse Sensors sounding off and had to turn them off via the button on the dash.

Now I can turn them off on the screen and with the other bits enabled I seem to partial Hitch Assist.

Post #18108323rd May 2017 5:30 pm
Ali1971

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Is tow assist something that can be added on later ? The dealer fitted the tow bar and electrics to my car when I bought it second hand last year. It works in terms of the reverse sensors deactivate but don't have tow assist by looks of things ??

Post #18108333rd May 2017 5:39 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

From memory tow assist needs surround cameras
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #18108423rd May 2017 5:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Washwipe wrote:
Despite my electrics being dealer fitted it seems they struggle to fully enable them. Checked mine with the IID Tool and it says they are enabled, yet there is also two other options shown apart from the 13 Pin, 7 Pin etc. I've also enabled!
Towbar: Current Trailer Tow Attachment.
Trailer Towing Ball: Current Fitted.

This then gives me an option of the Trailer box in the bottom right hand corner.

Before you Hitch Up, press the Trailer Box, it will then be highlighted. Also press the other two boxes, one disables the sensors the other turns off the guide lines/bars

When selecting reverse I then get a single solid yellow line from the Towball, must be linked to Hitch Asssit which I don't have Exclamation also when you get within about a metre of the Hitch, the camera then zooms in on the Hitch.

Even when the 13 Pin was dealer enabled I still had the Reverse Sensors sounding off and had to turn them off via the button on the dash.

Now I can turn them off on the screen and with the other bits enabled I seem to partial Hitch Assist.

Can you confirm that you don't have the surround cameras or optional tow assist fitted ? I know that the Hitch assist is available with only the single reversing camera. Also does the trailer symbol appear on your screen when you don't have your trailer connected or does it only appear once connected ?

Click image to enlarge

Post #18108823rd May 2017 7:11 pm
Washwipe

England 

Do not have Surround Cameras or Hitch Assist. As in my post I think I've enabled part of it, but didn't have any of these add ons when the dealer fitted and enabled the electrics, only when I found the settings with the IID. The Trailer box is always there on mine now.

Last edited by Washwipe on 3rd May 2017 8:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #18109183rd May 2017 7:59 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I don't think there's a second camera, I think it just zooms in when you are about 600mm away from the trailer. I will be speaking to my Dealer to sort it all out Rolling Eyes

Post #18109203rd May 2017 8:02 pm
Washwipe

England 

Yes the standard camera zooms in but did not originally, but will only work if I highlight the trailer box and turn off the Reverse Sensors and the standard Reversing Guides/bars.

Post #18109213rd May 2017 8:04 pm
Ali1971

Russell wrote:
From memory tow assist needs surround cameras

Confused even more reading the other posts ? Don't not have surround cameras , but what is this hitch assist, think I will go play with the reverse camera!

Post #18109563rd May 2017 9:04 pm
Ali1971

Yep no hitch assist nothing no zoom neither ?? Car is going into the dealer this month anyway will ask them to check all is switched on !

Post #18109843rd May 2017 9:31 pm
Darbs

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

This is something I have been trying to clarify. I have a 2012 HSE, tow electrics have been enabled and I have the target set up on the trailer.

When I reverse with the trailer attached, the screen shows the purple lines that predict the trailer route, but I don't have any option to back up to assist with the hitching.

I have tried touching the screen as I reverse, when the target is in range, but I don't get any other selections to choose from.

Is there something else I should be doing to enable hitch assist?
 2012 - 8 Speed D4 HSE in Indus Silver with surround cameras, adaptive headlamps, privacy glass, rear entertainment, 20" alloys.  
Post #18127068th May 2017 8:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >