Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

D3 Engine failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Dogeggs2000

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
D3 Engine failure

Hi, my 2008 D3 2.7 TDV6 engine failed on the way home from work. Big Cry It has 103,000 on the clock From looking around the internet it may be terminal with all of the horror stories. I just want to ascertain if it is knacked before I either scrap it, sell the whole thing for spares or bite the bullet and repair it. I have had everything done to the book, timing belt @ 94000, correct grades of recommended oil, regular servicing to the intervals, gearbox oil flushed, new gearbox filters etc etc £4k last year in total. The only thing I didn't have done was the fuel pump belt as I was told this should be ok?

The engine stopped suddendly with a prominent ticking noise coming from the upper rear end of the engine (possibly near side). On turning over with the starter there is compression from listening to the exhaust but the loudish ticking noise is still there. Any ideas of what to try in order to get an idea of how catastrophic the damage is people? I have stripped the covers off but thought I had better seek some advice from those in the know on these engines.

Any help much appreciated

Carl

Post #16646538th Jun 2016 12:58 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome Carl

Your first step should be to talk to Disco_Mikey:-

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/member-disco_mikey.html

If he can't help you he might buy your car.

Good luck.

Let us know how you get on.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #16646548th Jun 2016 1:01 pm
F355GTS

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

ticking noise upper rear could be something as simple as a failed/ failing relay?
 Mark  
Post #16646558th Jun 2016 1:06 pm
brightyuk

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Can you turn the engine over by hand not in the starter? 22mm socket in the crank bolt middle of engine below fan.
 Vehicles
2016 D4 Landmark Indus Silver
2005 D3 HSE Silver
Detent Circlip 'How to Guide'

Post #16646588th Jun 2016 1:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dogeggs2000

Hi guys and thanks for the welcome (been feeling a little lonely since my disco broke!) Thanks also for the rapid replies so far.

I have not tried to turn the car over by hand but will do tonight after work. I suspect it will turn ok as the starter motor does not sound as though it is meeting any more resistance than normal, (although this is difficult to quantify Rolling Eyes)

I am am certain it's not a relay as the ticking is too loud and VERY mechanical, like a camshaft or valve sort of noise, with a regular frequency of occurrence that matches the engine rotation. I can see why you would have sugggested that though but with this level of noise it would have to be a contactor!

I have read many of Disco Mikey's posts, he sounds like the man in the disco world! If needs be I wonder if he would come this far up to the North coast of Scotland very close to Thurso!! I have a 2 post ramp and full garage setup for my other landies so I could make the job easier for him Wink I have just never messed with TDV6 engines as they mistify me!

Post #16646818th Jun 2016 2:43 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

On a 2008 car, I would suspect it's an oil pump casing issue...

Nothing a recovery down here couldn't sort though Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #16647128th Jun 2016 3:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

If you havent had the fuel pump belt done could it be as simple as that failed and the noise is the remains of the belt?

Post #16648348th Jun 2016 8:35 pm
Dogeggs2000

Hi, the plot thickens but I suspect not in a good way. On close inspection there is damage to the left side of the timing belt cover by the alternator, it's actually burst. Possible timing belt failure or crank failure but there is still compression? Anybody seen this before? It's getting stripped on Friday afternoon by the mechanic that did the belt 9 or so months ago as I showed it to him tonight, so I'll see what he says. He advised that there is a chance of a warranty claim on the belt components if component failure can be proven. He's a top drawer mechanic with 30 years experience and his own very reputable garage so no reason to suspect a problem with the install. Should be interesting if nothing else. I'll be sure to post full details for you! Tried posting pics but working off an iphone and when i previewed post they haven't displayed, hoping they will when I upload the post?!

Post #16648838th Jun 2016 9:52 pm
WillyEckerslike

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

As an alternative to the oil pump casing breaking, the tensioner bolt could have sheared and sent the tensioner through the timing cover.

Post #16648918th Jun 2016 10:01 pm
Disco_Mikey

Does look very oil pump related...
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #16648998th Jun 2016 10:16 pm
WillyEckerslike

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Very poorly engine whichever one it turns out to be Sad

Post #16649038th Jun 2016 10:22 pm
Dogeggs2000

A late update but, Disco Mikey appears to be correct.................again!! Oil pump casing failure and tensioner broken off. I am now hoping that the bottom end is ok so I have a chance of getting things sorted out. Maybe some bent valves etc but hopefully repairable??? I am planning to 'time' her up and temporarily install a used oil pump and Timing belt tensioner and turn the engine over. She seems to turn ok with just the 'ticking' noise I mentioned previously. I'll obviously make sure she won't fire up at this testing stage and see if anything else is really screwed. If this test goes reasonably well, I'll strip it and renew everything that needs renewing. Hopefully I will be able to fix it for reasonable money without removing the engine!!

Any thoughts on this methodology?

Cheers

Carl

Post #16885795th Aug 2016 10:12 am
Disco_Mikey

If the heads are damaged, they are £1000 a piece, (plus gaskets, head bolts etc)

A complete, running 2nd hand warranted engine can be had for similar money...
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #16886225th Aug 2016 11:59 am
Disco_Mikey

In fact, I have a few engines here, one of which suffered snapped oil pump.

I'll pull the cam covers off and see what damage has been done to this one Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #16886235th Aug 2016 12:00 pm
Dogeggs2000

Cheers Mikey, that would be very helpful indeed and provide some necessary pointers. Obviously I'm interested in any serviceable parts you might have for sale too, (unwarranted of course)!!
I'm trying to avoid lifting the body off if I can help it. I have a Bradbury 2 poster but I am just too busy with other engineering work (My job)! I think I could manage it, but with having never done it before, it will take me literally ages. Wish you lived closer as recovery to Dundee would cost a fortune. There doesn't seem to be a reasonable way out of this. The design of the oil pump casing is poor, all that repeated fatigue from a moving tensioner and point loading from the tensioner, hanging off one small piece of poorly cast monkey metal, is very disappointing in terms of a fully signed off design for mass production of such a marque! Any help is very much appreciated Mikey.

Cheers

Carl

Post #16886895th Aug 2016 4:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >