Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Roading & Green Laning

Eastnor experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Landroverfan1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Eastnor experience

I had a full day at Eastnor yesterday in a Discovery 4. For those who have not gone yet but are thinking of doing so, no need to read on, just go. Now! Because it was absolutely epic.

I had two intentions in mind. The first was to get a better understanding of the car's capabilities and second to learn a little more about technique.

I was extremely lucky in that it rained quite heavily the day before and several moments during the day out. Although I was told that in some cases the rain can actually wash away some of the silt and grit, giving more traction.

After a demo it was my turn behind the wheel of the Discovery, which were wearing standard road tyres. Now we all know that the Discovery is good off road. But this was nothing compared to what I experienced. It clambered up rutted tracks and down slippery slopes. It waded through swimming pool sized puddles. On the man made obstacle course I was so shocked by the angles the car could achieve without capsizing that it was pointed out I'd actually not breathed the entire time. Huge intake of air once we were level again. I honestly had thought I was about to have to explain to Eastnor why one of their cars was on its side.

As the car bumbled along the various tracks, taking everything in its stride, there was no indication as to how slippery the surface was until stepping out of the car there was absolutely no grip underfoot.

So in terms of the car's ability. I am amazed.

And in terms of learning a little of the technique involved. That was great if a little tough. Tough only because my tiny brain wanted to do something and I had to keep correcting myself. On many of the tracks I focused on the RHS, specifically the right hand corner of the bonnet. When the car leaned, I tried to correct this by turning the wheel instead of pointing the wheels straight down the track.

Another thing that took a while to get to grips with is the hill descent. Or rather to trust what it can do. Now of course this is not a feature to help you stop on a motorway or other. After lunch we pointed the car at a somewhat steep, slippery incline, put it in mud and ruts and drove up it. Unfortunately I lifted off the accelerator and we lost grip. So I braked. Nothing happened. We started sliding back down the hill. So I pressed the brake harder. Nothing, we continued to slide down the hill. Luckily it wasn't a particularly steep hill and we managed to miss the gate post.

After an explanation I was told that in that situation you should put the car into reverse and let hill descent help to slow you down. And as we failed to get to the top for the second time, to cut the story short, it works! On the third attempt, this time with the DSC off and in grass mode, 3rd gear we trundled up the slope and made it to the top. I have to say I was somewhat relieved.

To demonstrate hill descent further we descended a 50% gradient. There was a slight surge of speed as I released the brakes but the car gained control very quickly. I was also shown what happened if you can't get up a slope and the car stalls due to you going backwards while in drive. The car recognises this and helps you to come to a slow, controlled stop.

At no point during the day did we get stuck. The car may have lost forward momentum occasionally but once the right settings and technique were found, the car made it.

And at the end of the day I clambered into my own Discovery and down the motorway to London. A comfortable motorway cruiser which to me just demonstrates why this is just the perfect all rounder.

Everyone at Eastnor were so friendly and kind and it was just the most superb day. I'm just disappointed not to be there today.

PS: I'd love to be able to post some photos of the day but sadly I was concentrating so hard on driving I forgot.

Post #166773215th Jun 2016 8:50 am
Comanche

Wales 

Have to agree, thoroughly enjoyed my visits to Eastnor, I've been fortunate to do a full day in D3, D4 and Defender.
Most fun was a night drive at Halloween- the staff really got into it and we even had a tea stop at a derelict farmhouse on the estate which they laid out with cobwebs, a smoke machine and creepy footsteps upstairs.

I started off with nothing and Ive still got most of it left.  
Post #166788215th Jun 2016 2:19 pm
peteyd

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Sounds awesome! I've just got my half day voucher through, is it possible to upgrade to a full day? Eastnor seems the place to go, and I was brought up in nearby Ledbury.

Cheers

PD
 MY16 D4 Graphite in Loire Blue  
Post #166800815th Jun 2016 5:47 pm
markate

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Yes it is easy to upgrade to a full day. Probably best to call your chosen Centre direct and tell them you''ve got a half day voucher you want to upgrade to a full day.

Post #166801115th Jun 2016 5:49 pm
Landroverfan1

I had a voucher and upgraded for a full day. Well worth it. Was simply amazing.

Post #166803015th Jun 2016 6:43 pm
peteyd

How much was the upgrade? Did you stay over the night before/after? If so, where did you stay?

Cheers

PD
Post #166803115th Jun 2016 6:45 pm
Comanche

Wales 

We always stay here....
http://www.feathers-ledbury.co.uk
 I started off with nothing and Ive still got most of it left.  
Post #166803415th Jun 2016 6:51 pm
gareth71

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'm being treated to a full day for my birthday, so I'm glad to read all the positive comments! There are other LRE centres closer to me, but I figured that Eastnor seems to be by far the best one so I might as well make the effort to get there!

Post #166804615th Jun 2016 7:08 pm
Landroverfan1

Afraid I can't remember how much the upgrade was. It wasn't cheap but in my opinion was so worth it as you really get to spend time in the car, experiencing how capable it is.

I stayed in a Premier Inn just on the outskirts of Gloucester so was about half an hour away from Eastnor. It's not the best as far as hotels in the area go but was perfectly comfortable, a good night sleep and not too expensive. There was a Beefeater next door and with the wife away, I throughly enjoyed tucking into potato skins, steak and a pudding without the word cholesterol being mentioned! The staff in both the restaurant and the hotel were very friendly and helpful.

Post #166806915th Jun 2016 7:48 pm
peteyd

So, my full day at Eastnor is coming up soon (first week of November). Planning to combine the trip there with a walk in the Brecon Beacons the next day.

The confirmation email from LR says I can bring up to 3 guests, either as drivers or passengers. I'll be taking the non-driving kids, so that suggests I'll get a full day as the only driver. Is that right? Seems like a lot of time behind the wheel. Does anyone have a rough itinerary for the day? Do you just drive the whole time, or is it broken up in to segments where you head back to the centre for tea and coffee, briefings etc?

Very excited just thinking about it!
Post #172225020th Oct 2016 4:05 pm
Cobstar

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Hi peteyd,

Did the full day in September and it was fab. Booked it as a birthday treat for the SO - but got to share. Still have the half day voucher that came with the new car to look forward to - and will probably try to upgrade to a full day.

Looks like you'll get to lots of driving as the only driver then Very Happy

Arrive and book in. There's a form to fill in - and coffee, tea and biscuits - and they check driving licences of those driving and take your lunch order. Then a briefing session by one of the instructors including safety, some video explaining how diff locks and the various terrain response systems work etc.

Then your off to the car with your instructor for the day. He drove first and demonstrated some of the man made 'obstacles' and what the car could do. Then I got chance to drive some of the 'obstacles' before we went out round some tracks through fields and woods. Lots of opportunities for off road ascents and descents, also through water, around the woods.

Back for lunch - around 12:45. Then after lunch we swapped drivers (and cars as the morning's D4 had thrown up a DPF full error). The SO did a but more driving on the main road to access the estate from another gate. Then offroad a mix of farm tracks and woodland. Then we swapped again and I drove a bit more - again woodland and farm tracks. Got back around 15:45.

Post #172226220th Oct 2016 4:39 pm
peteyd

Cheers, sounds like plenty of driving then!
Post #172226720th Oct 2016 4:51 pm
tcr4x4

United Kingdom 

Did a half day in a d4 just after the came out and then my wife bought me a self drive day where you take your own car around eastnor.

Both were fantastic and as mentioned the eastnor staff are very friendly and very knowledgable.

On the d4 drive, we did some road driving first. Not only did the guy let us go off the usual course to show him a house we were considering to buy in the area, he also very politely pointed out I was doing 120mph down the M50 Shocked

I genuinely didn't realise, I'd neve driven a car with such power before and may have underestimated it a bit. Rolling with laughter

On the self drive, they even wash your car underneath and on top for you afterwards!

Post #172227520th Oct 2016 5:07 pm
peteyd

This isn't helping - I've got 2 weeks to wait before I go, I think I might burst with anticipation!
Post #172233720th Oct 2016 6:53 pm
RAW

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Got a full day booked for Dec 15th Mr. Green
 MY18 RRS Autobiography Fuji White
MY15 D4 silver Commercial
MY11 D4 Fuji White Landmark (Gone)
MY11 D4 Silver Commercial(Gone)
Isuzu Utah D Max(Gone)
John Deere Gator HPX
Nifty Lift HR12