Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Key question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
colinp007

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Key question

Apologies if this has been covered but I have not been able to find it despite searching.

I have just bought a 2005 D3 which came with one key - that key works fine - unlocks/locks and starts the car. Last week I had a local autokey dealer come and cut/program a spare key. That key worked fine until today. Today I removed the (car) battery for a top up charge and refitted it. Since then the new spare key no longer locks or unlocks the car, it does start the car though.

I had assumed that if the key has a low battery charge the D3 shows a message accordingly?

I am feeling a bit vulnerable as neither key will open the passenger door when trying the emergency manual lock.

Before I speak to the autokey dealer tomorrow does anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong? Have I done something wrong?

Any thoughts most welcome. Thanks in advance. Rolling Eyes

Post #227463023rd Jan 2022 10:17 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

No idea why the key does not work fully after removing /charging / refitting the battery. The manual lock in the passenger door can be very stiff to operate, (almost invoking fear of the key breaking). It may be just that you are not applying enough force.
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #227463323rd Jan 2022 10:36 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Did you wait for the electronics to go to sleep before disconnecting the battery? You may have spiked an ecu.
Try a hard reset once you get into the vehicle
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #227463623rd Jan 2022 10:39 pm
colinp007

Thank you for your answers.

I have put more oil in the lock and turning anti clockwise the old key turns a bit further and locks that door (with the doors already open by the old key fob). Yes I am afraid of snapping the key! So far I have not been able to unlock the door though. Do you know which way I should turn it to unlock the car? More oil tomorrow likely.

Regarding letting the system go to sleep. I don't know - I was quite cautious about disconnecting and took my time so it wouldn't have been disconnected for several minutes after key removal I suspect. Do you mean the ECU on the car? If so I still cant see why the old key still lock and unlocks fine. I have been driving around on both keys today without issue.

Sorry to be thick but what exactly is a hard reset?

As I said feel a bit vulnerable with only one remote to unlock everything.

Post #227463823rd Jan 2022 10:51 pm
colinp007

Sorry just found https://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Hard_Reset if that is what you meant.

Post #227463923rd Jan 2022 10:53 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes thats it.
When you turn the car on or even when you just unlock the doors you start up the electronics in the car, when you turn the car off and lock the doors the electronics dont power off straight away. If you look at the dash the park brake light stays on, disconnecting the battery when the electronics are still active can cause problems and can even damage the ecu's.

A hard reset will reset all the ecu's and hopefully clear your problems, if it doesnt do a search for "green wire splice"
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #227466224th Jan 2022 7:27 am
colinp007

Thanks will do that.

Post #227466524th Jan 2022 8:20 am
colinp007

I finally got the emergency lock to open with a lot of oil applied. I might try and get an ordinary non programmed key cut just for this use so that we dont end up levering the main remote fobs so hard.

Definitely one key works fine in all respects and the other will not open the car. Planning to speak to the autokey dealer then depending on the outcome will move on to hard reset etc.

I cant help but feel that the issue is with the new key - perhaps my new spare key's battery has gone flat already. I will stay with the simplest options first. Thanks again for all advice offered.

Post #227467424th Jan 2022 10:08 am
colinp007

OUTCOME:

Land Rover dealer says no signal from key - key battery flat, so new key was defective. Noticed old key unlocks emergency lock new one didn't Both fitted ignition and start car. Proper locksmith looked at new key and noticed cut was slightly off - he corrected it FOC so both keys work really well in emergency lock now. Thanks again for all suggestions.

Post #227535027th Jan 2022 5:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >