Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

MY 55 D3 HSE Auto
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
PaulJC

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

As already mentioned i'm taking the car down to the coast (and towing a trailer back with it) so more prep today, and to make sure I know things are ok for the future...

So i dropped the spare to take a look at it and make sure the winch operated OK...
Click image to enlarge

Added a valve extension so the pressure can be checked with it in place...
Click image to enlarge

I then added an anti-theft before winding it back up...
Click image to enlarge

And here you can see the valve extension accessible from underneath...
Click image to enlarge

I was going to leave the 22mm socket and extension in place but it wasn't quite long enough so i'll order a spare socket and extension so they can stay in place between the rear seats...
Click image to enlarge

Post #169241915th Aug 2016 3:42 pm
PaulJC

Key Refurbishment

Both of my keys were looking well abused...

So i ordered a replacement casing from HERE for about a fiver...
Click image to enlarge

And also a replacement battery from HERE
Click image to enlarge

I then butchered the old key to get the blade and electronics out... This needs to be done relatively carefully so as not to damage the board inside...
Click image to enlarge

Once the board is out it looks like this (battery connections circled in red)...
Click image to enlarge

And the battery is held in the black plastic retainer (shown here with the battery removed)...
Click image to enlarge

To remove the battery, unclip it from the black retainer, pry the battery gently from underneath using a screw driver while adding head to the solder joints circled in red and it will easily pop off...

Then remove the black retainer which has 2 clips on one side and one on the other, this will give a clear view of the two holes which the battery was in, then using a solder pump reheat the 2 holes and clear of and solder ready to fit the new battery.
Click image to enlarge

To refit the new battery i put it in to the black holder first clipping it in place, then refitted the black holder making sure to put the pins through the cleared out solder holes, then just flipped the board over and resoldered the 2 battery connections back to the board...

At this stage check the key still works to open/close the car...

Then lay out the new case...
Click image to enlarge

And place the board with the newly soldered battery in to place...
Click image to enlarge

I then mixed up some 5 minute epoxy (you don't need anywhere near this much)...
Click image to enlarge

No photos for the next few stages as you need to get it together before the glue goes off...

Put a fine layer of the 5 min epoxy around the inner lip of the case, i made sure the 5 catches were covered, it's probably not enough to make it waterproof again but hopefully my key will never go swimming...

Place the metal part at the base that holds the key ring (i'd advise fitting the ring before you place this part in the key as it's fiddly as hell)...

The case did come with a new blade if you want one cut, but i opted to reuse the old one... turn the spring and button anti clockwise until you feel it 'catch' then place the blade on the button in the 'stowed' position, rotate the blade one full turn anti clockwise and hold it in place while you put the 2 key halves together...

Make sure to clean up any excess glue before it sets, a damp cloth worked just fine for this...

You will then have a shiny new case to replace your old battered one... I'll get round to doing the other one at some point...
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Total cost including glue... About £15...

Post #169243615th Aug 2016 4:28 pm
PaulJC

Front Bulbs...

Well, thats a load more bulbs changed...

LED's in the side light and cornering light...

Philips Extreme +130% in the main beam...

Indicators are still standard, will LED those when i get the time to detango...

Click image to enlarge

Now need to decide if i want DRL's before pulling the headlamps apart, both fogs need replacing and a bulb/DRL decision made there and a decision needs to be made about what i'm going to do at the back, thinking twin LED tail/break conversion, bright LED's in reverse lights and get Reverse 'follow home' enabled, decisions decisions...

Post #169245715th Aug 2016 5:32 pm
PaulJC

Well, not entirely sure but i think the dead alternator may have seriously shortened the life span of my battery, i tend to only do short journeys (10 miles each way to work) and some mornings have been coming out to see it sat at below 12.0v... I've just invested in a CTEK to see if a recondition can bring it back to a reasonable level but if not it looks like a new battery will be getting bumped to the top of the 'things to do' list...

Post #169364318th Aug 2016 10:36 pm
PaulJC

Well, the battery seems to have been fine, been away for a week with no issues, fitted the CTek Comfort connect under the bonnet and made up a CTek to 12s Adapter so i can charge via the towing socket if i want too... although i think it'll be more of a monthly condition than actually needing to charge for any reason...

Had a bit of an oops tonight, pokey out branch that i misjudged, stuck a dent in the door and pulled the trim off, to dark to do anything about it tonight so hopefully it'll just be a case of clipping it back on tomorrow... Not gonna loose any sleep over the dent in the door, probably the first mark of many as i intend to green lane and off road it a bit...

Click image to enlarge

Censored , just noticed the ripple in the front of the rear door too, will have to take a proper look at it tomorrow but probably not going to do anything about the dents as long as the paint isn't broken...

Post #169756228th Aug 2016 11:06 pm
PaulJC

Doesn't look too bad now the trim is back in place... There were 3 or 4 clips missing so I'll get some ordered...

Click image to enlarge

I also obliterated the NSR mud guard so took a look at them all and in one way or another they were all damaged so they have all come off and gone in the bin...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Doing so increases the clearance quite a bit...

Loads of screws here need replacing so I'll have to find the part number for those, either they are rusty and knackered or missing all together...

Post #169774129th Aug 2016 3:18 pm
PeteHse

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Your last pic, is your tyre rotating the right way?

Post #169785029th Aug 2016 8:04 pm
PaulJC

No idea tbh... I'll check tomorrow...

They are all coming off the end of next month anyway...

Post #169789729th Aug 2016 9:11 pm
PaulJC

Side on, in extended mode, removing the mudflaps has definitely improved the clearance and the look IMO, the side steps will have to come off and make way for tree sliders in the not to distant future i think...

Click image to enlarge

Post #169791429th Aug 2016 9:54 pm
PaulJC

Not done much for the past couple of weeks, just enjoying a few local easy lanes and such...

I did get a CB Aerial mount from Ray which i have mounted up and earthed to the boot hinge but i am yet to get the rest fitted/wired in, i'll try to get that done in the week if i get time...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #170437211th Sep 2016 3:22 pm
PaulJC

Side Step Removal

Not much of a fun job... Took about 2.5 Hours which isn't terrible but it's not exactly a cool day so was melting a little bit...

Tool Needed:

Phillips Screwdriver
Flat Screwdriver
Ratchet
10mm Socket
13mm Socket

Oh and...

BIG Hammer Big Cry
Sharp Cold Chisel Set Big Cry Big Cry
Angle Grinder Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Quite a simple job really...

Drown all bolts in some kind of release agent for several days before starting the job...

Rear wheels off, 2 screws out of the rear of the sill trim...

Each side step has 6 x 10mm nuts holding them on, mine were corroded to hell, most just instantly snapped, annoyingly a few rounded off so the angle grinder was brought in to play, destroy as much of the nut as possible in the room provided, then 'remove' whats left with a chisel and big hammer...

Remove the sill trims, there should be 3 x 13mm bolts and 4 clips along the bottom, with the clips, using your flat screwdriver, you remove the centre of the clip, then remove the main body of the clip, once these are all out there is a row of the usual 2 part yellow and white clips across the top, just pop these off starting from the rear...

Then the brackets are held on with 3 or 4 bolts each, use your 13mm socket to get these out... Try not to snap any, Luckily only one of mine was seized solid and no amount of plus gas made any difference and it snapped, not sure there is enough of it left for a stud extractor to work, i'm leaving that for another day...

Once all the brackets are off your sill covers will have some holes in, up do you how you deal with that, at the moment i have run a length of duct tape down each just to cover them up but the plan is for tree sliders on mine in the not too distant future...

I definitely think it looks much better without the steps... (Shown here without sill trims), and obviously the clearance is increased, makes me wonder if rock sliders as opposed to tree sliders is the way to go to keep it looking pretty much the same as it does now...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #170639115th Sep 2016 5:35 pm
PaulJC

Oh, and despite still not having had time to get the CB fitted in properly, i did get a couple of nut covers just to tidy up the look of the mount, subtle difference but does look tidier Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #170639315th Sep 2016 5:37 pm
PaulJC

3 Wire Splice + Broken Wire Fix...

Well, slowly doing the CB install (which i will post up when finished), but while i had the side trim up I thought i'd split and solder the 3 green wire splice in an attempt to prevent future problems...

A nice easy job, find the 3 wire joint which is located in the loom, to wards the rear of the front NS door...
Click image to enlarge

Chop it off and strip the wires back a little, twist them together...
Click image to enlarge

...Solder...
Click image to enlarge

...And then apply head shrink... Job Done...
Click image to enlarge

What i didn't expect to see was a wire at the base of the B pillar that had been stripped back and just left exposed behind the trim twisted together... No idea what it's for but also soldered and shrinked that as well while i was there... Any ideas what it is for? I might study the schematics one day to find out...
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #170982923rd Sep 2016 11:08 am
PaulJC

New Rubber....

5 x Goodyear Duratrac's from Camskill were delivered last week, just had a chance to go and get them fitted...

Loaded up ready for fitting...

Up on the ramp...

New boots, a definite improvement in look and hopefully performance...

Post #171338230th Sep 2016 5:15 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Top work Thumbs Up

Post #171339330th Sep 2016 5:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >