Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Restricted Performance needa a new HP fuel Pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Aussie_D4

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Restricted Performance needa a new HP fuel Pump

I have a 5 year old D4 it has only done 86000km but I get intermittent Restricted Performance occurring the error code is P117D-00 fuel volume regulator control exceeded. The dealer says I need to replace the HP fuel pump - how long should these pumps last?

Post #172410025th Oct 2016 2:38 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Longer than that.

Not LPFP or filter in tank?

I would be arguing under consumer law that there is a reasonable expectation of the part lasting longer than five years.

There was an issue with previous HPFP so maybe check the part No. on yours. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #172410225th Oct 2016 3:11 am
Aussie_D4

Thanks for your reply.

The dealer did replace the fuel filter and it has dramatically reduced the error rate.
I contacted LR Australia and they said if the dealer said you need to pay for the repair then you have to pay. Absolutely no interest in looking into problem. I spoke to consumer affairs basically I prove my expectation that after 5 years and 86000km that I should not be paying for major engine repairs. So before investing large amount of my time I am trying to get a realistic idea of the HP pump life.

Post #172410525th Oct 2016 4:46 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Did they test the FP at the schrader valve?

What is the pressure at the fuel rail?

Blocked filter could have caused fuel starvation which has caused a low pressure or high pressure pump failure.

These usually last except the failures they had in a batch.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/b...ory%3A4910

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/la...2009-10962

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/la...2009-10961

ttps://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/lan...2010-12122

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/la...2010-12122

I would be pushing the reasonable expectation line but good luck.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #172410725th Oct 2016 5:10 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Bosch P/N 0928400756

Before change the whoole HP Pump, try to change the PCV Valve (ITEM n° 6)

LR Dealers hasn't the parts but a good injection pump workshop can (Bosch P/N 0928400756)

Click image to enlarge

https://www.oscaro.es/unidad-de-valvulas-s...518-3962-p

http://www.ebay.it/itm/JAGUAR-3-0-D-ajv6d-...1580546691

http://partsbos.com/fuel-control-valves/35...07100.html

or fleebay cheeper way

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Bosch-Fuel-Injectio...Sw4f5YCjYB

New PCV must be "learned" by car via BOSCH Service computer
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #172416125th Oct 2016 10:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muffet

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I have a 62 plate D4 in which I have now done 30,000 miles. A few days ago driving up the M1 at 70mph the restricted performance warning came on a couple of miles from my destination. I reached my destination and an hour later drove towards home, 20 or so miles later the warning came back on again. The fuel filter was due for changing so I changed it. This was surprisingly easy after seeing how to do it on another thread on this site. I have made a couple of short journeys since without any problem.
My son came home for the weekend and read the fault codes and the following came up; P1247-00 turbo boost low pressure and P004D-77 intermittent turbo charger boost control solenoid B circuit high.
Has any one got any ideas? I suspect that the restricted performance maybe down to this problem. Any ideas where about this solenoid is or a cure?

Post #172632329th Oct 2016 2:30 pm
Aussie_D4

Well LR Australia knocked back my claim, what got me was the treatment of my claim. They had sitting on their response for over a week I heard nothing other than a case number from LR and nothing from the dealer Solitaire. The problem has got worse later so it needs to be fixed only once I contacted the dealer to try and book it to get fixed did I get an email from Land Rover saying my claim had been rejected. The shabby customer service is what has really Censored me off.

Post #173415715th Nov 2016 6:12 am
Leungp

Hong Kong 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Try LM diesel additive

Post #181976928th May 2017 3:52 am
Dartmoor Dave

United Kingdom 
Low fuel pressure, limp mode after acceleration.

Guys,
I'm currently wrestling with a similar problem on my neighbours D3. As long as you don't pedal it over 2000 revs its OK, try and accel and it goes bing bong and drops to idle. Wait 10 secs on idle and its away full throttle for a minute. Tested the fuel pressure at the engine valve, 3-6lbs at best but if you rev up the fuel is actually sucked back out of the test hose?
Took the tank off and the output hose to engine has nothing but a dribble. I'm now looking at the maze of pipes and restrictors that are the pump unit. The pump will push 3 bar unrestricted so somethings wrong. No obvious blockages, fuel regulator has no 2970 600 0500, looks same as TD5 but thats 4 bar setting. D3 is 0.5 bar. So no easy swap there on ebay for 15 quid.
I'll keep the forum updated on whats happened. Regulator looks promising, don't know if its a LR part, but Jag tdv6 has same part visually. After all its a Pug lump.

Post #184589910th Aug 2017 11:08 am
Dartmoor Dave

United Kingdom 

OK, done some more work on this fuel problem. Pump was restricted so cleaned the in tank filter with solvent and airline. Tested the reassembled tank unit and plugged it into the vehicle harness and it pumped 7.5 psi happily for 10 mins. I checked the pressure by cobbling a gauge to the tank output pipe.

So, good to go, we reattached the tank etc, moved up to the shraeder valve on the engine. Pretty good, 6.5 steady at the engine. Fired up and no less than 5 psi at the engine running. Revved up OK so took test drive with gauge still on test point and taped to the wiper arm so we could see it moving. Test was anticlimax but did confirm pressure OK. Didn't get 1/2 mile and Bing Bong, dropped to limp mode.
Now we have confimed fuel delivery is OK next stop was local LR man with plug in test unit. Test shows RHS EGR valve stuck open. This is a V6.
Next thing is pass this job to LR man because we don't have the tester or tools to see to the EGR valve. The manual give setting up details which are beyond my toolbox.
I'll keep you posted but looks like EGR valve is cutting ECU to idle.

Post #184989522nd Aug 2017 10:11 am
halliday51

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

or
MAF ONLY DONT USE BRAKE CLEANER
or
EGR change
or

OR
Dreaded inlet manifold crack

Post #229505010th Jun 2022 4:45 am
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 
Re: Bosch P/N 0928400756

dgardel wrote:
Before change the whoole HP Pump, try to change the PCV Valve (ITEM n° 6)

LR Dealers hasn't the parts but a good injection pump workshop can (Bosch P/N 0928400756)

Click image to enlarge

https://www.oscaro.es/unidad-de-valvulas-s...518-3962-p

http://www.ebay.it/itm/JAGUAR-3-0-D-ajv6d-...1580546691

http://partsbos.com/fuel-control-valves/35...07100.html

or fleebay cheeper way

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Bosch-Fuel-Injectio...Sw4f5YCjYB

New PCV must be "learned" by car via BOSCH Service computer

I'll second this.
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/hp-fuel-pump-issues-200708.html
 Joe  
Post #229505610th Jun 2022 7:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

muffet wrote:
I have a 62 plate D4 in which I have now done 30,000 miles. A few days ago driving up the M1 at 70mph the restricted performance warning came on a couple of miles from my destination. I reached my destination and an hour later drove towards home, 20 or so miles later the warning came back on again. The fuel filter was due for changing so I changed it. This was surprisingly easy after seeing how to do it on another thread on this site. I have made a couple of short journeys since without any problem.
My son came home for the weekend and read the fault codes and the following came up; P1247-00 turbo boost low pressure and P004D-77 intermittent turbo charger boost control solenoid B circuit high.
Has any one got any ideas? I suspect that the restricted performance maybe down to this problem. Any ideas where about this solenoid is or a cure?

You will get a better response by starting a new topic Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #229506810th Jun 2022 9:01 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Dartmoor Dave wrote:
OK, done some more work on this fuel problem. Pump was restricted so cleaned the in tank filter with solvent and airline. Tested the reassembled tank unit and plugged it into the vehicle harness and it pumped 7.5 psi happily for 10 mins. I checked the pressure by cobbling a gauge to the tank output pipe.

So, good to go, we reattached the tank etc, moved up to the shraeder valve on the engine. Pretty good, 6.5 steady at the engine. Fired up and no less than 5 psi at the engine running. Revved up OK so took test drive with gauge still on test point and taped to the wiper arm so we could see it moving. Test was anticlimax but did confirm pressure OK. Didn't get 1/2 mile and Bing Bong, dropped to limp mode.
Now we have confimed fuel delivery is OK next stop was local LR man with plug in test unit. Test shows RHS EGR valve stuck open. This is a V6.
Next thing is pass this job to LR man because we don't have the tester or tools to see to the EGR valve. The manual give setting up details which are beyond my toolbox.
I'll keep you posted but looks like EGR valve is cutting ECU to idle.

Blank both EGR’s off and try it, Roadside job to get you mobile Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #229507210th Jun 2022 9:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >