DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Instrument cluster failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
nastorg

France 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Instrument cluster failure

Hello,

I come to you for a failure with my instrument cluster on my disco3 MY2007 (TDV6).
This is a total blackout : Speedometer, Tachometer, Beeper, Retro-Lights, Fuel Gauge, Turn Signals, information center. Only the EPB light stays on.
I bought this vehicle in April.

The blackout occurred for first time in April-May several times. During the hot summer months the blackout was absent. It reappeared 1 month ago.

It can occur most often from the start and sometimes on the way. Instrument cluster usually turns on after a few minutes. The information center sometimes turns on completely black or blank before returning to normal gradually. During the blackout, all modules works fine, no DTC errors.

I measured the voltage at the diagnostic socket: 10.3v with the key in position II. On the way the tension increases. The voltage at the car radio is 12,6 (in hidden menu, key position II) I replaced the battery: same voltage after replacement (without reset battery, i'm waiting for IID tool next week Very Happy ) .
Airbag Light on central panel works fine during the blackout : i read in a similar topic to test it.

Instrument cluster sometimes starts when the turn signals or air suspension settings are stimulated.
Rarely touching dimmer it turns on. But it can be coincidences Confused

Do you think the problem can be in the instrument cluster? Any ideas ?

Thanks

Post #173710221st Nov 2016 12:39 am
mronions

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi

Mine does this and I've never got round to sorting it. Symptoms include:

-The whole cluster blinking off then back on in a split-second
-Longer term shut downs where the whole cluster stops working
-Info centre problems after the dash has blinked off then on again (black screen, unresponsive screen etc.)
-No warning beeps (for errors, low temp, low washer fluid, low fuel

I replaced my battery during the summer and the shutdowns became less frequent, but I still didn't get warning sounds back. As the weather got colder the problems came back and, if anything, got worse, but there's no guarantee the weather is related to this problem.

I had a new alternator a couple of weeks ago and things have been stable since then, but still no sounds which means that either:

a) The battery and alternator changes fixed a power problem but the sounds are a different problem
b) The whole thing is completely broken and I just got lucky with the intermittent shutdowns

This company (NOT ENDORSED IN ANY WAY BY ME) appears to list many of our symptoms:

http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/repair/m...ter-speedo

...and they offer a repair service. The downside is that without the dash cluster the car is immobilised and I can't manage without it for more than a day during the winter so I will have to wait until next year to explore refurbishment as an option. Unless is gets any worse. Confused

I had a couple of conversations with someone else on the forum who was having the same problem and was considering a refurb job, but I forget who it was. I'll see if I can dig out the messages and follow up with them.

In the meantime, I know that's not a fix, but at least you know you're not alone.
 ***GONE*** 2007 XS Manual in Wet Weekend (Stornoway Grey) ***GONE***
EGRs blanked and deleted | RLD wheel protector | RLD aerial mount 

Post #173731821st Nov 2016 3:23 pm
John P

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I have this problem as well, except my instrument cluster and the lights on the centre panel, where the heater controls are have now stoped working all together. I've checked the fuses and all look ok. What are the chances of the rotary dimmer switch failing? A new switch is £100 so before I splash out and buy, I just wanted to check if anyone else has had to replace this switch? Also without the instrument cluster working, is this a MOT failure?

Just to add, my speedo, rev-counter and all other lights work. It's just the illumination that doesn't work.

Thanks
John

Post #173759621st Nov 2016 10:33 pm
RutlandBoy

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

The company that mronions mentions is the company that was used in the last (or was it the one previous to that Embarassed ) series of 'Wheeler Dealers' to fix an audi TT binacle.

Not sure if that's good or bad thing, but its the same company Confused

Post #173760221st Nov 2016 10:43 pm
MGCarr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have used Cluster Repairs in Hinkley Leics for my D3 when I found that a previous owner had cut the led for the airbag warning light off the circuit board to camouflage a problem with the airbag system and for repair of an instrument cluster out of a Volvo V70 that I used to own. Excellent service on both occasions, I removed the cluster and dispatched with next day delivery on day 1, Cluster Repairs received it on day 2, repaired and dispatched the same day and I refitted it and had the car back on the road on day 3 with no need for any reprogramming. Both times the cost was just over the £100 mark.

I have no connection to the company but have found their service and communication to be excellent on the two occasions that I have used them.

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
Previous Land Rover history
1996 P38 4.6 V8 Autobiography
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A
Not been without a Land Rover for over 40 years - I must need therapy! 

Post #173764722nd Nov 2016 2:02 am
mronions

Ah, that's excellent news. Good to have some first-hand feedback. It's so easy to set up a reasonable-looking website but you just never know what kind of company lurks behind it.

Post #173770722nd Nov 2016 9:56 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Before going to any extremes I would remove the cluster and check the wiring plugs are fully pushed and locked into the sockets, very easy 15 minute job Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #173771322nd Nov 2016 10:03 am
nastorg

Thank you very much for your answers.

I sent an email to ClusterRepairs on Sunday to know if they could do anything by describing my problem. I await their reply. They deal only by telephone normally, but I am unable to speak a phone conversation in English. Embarassed

@mronions The beeper is inside instrumentcluster but I think you had 2 completely independent problems.

@John P I think your problem comes from the dimmer. Several topics debated on it. Try to clean it with electric cleaner at first? You can easily disengage the assembly; Watch at 2 min.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0twlR5nXoRU

@ M3DPO I think to start by disassembling the instrument cluster to see something obvious.

Otherwise I will follow the diagnostic method of the manual for the alternator.

I'll keep you informed.

Post #173824022nd Nov 2016 11:28 pm
John P

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Yes I fixed my problem last night. On plug C0041 pin 9 was loose. I tighten this and all now works. Thumbs Up

Post #173838423rd Nov 2016 11:40 am
mallo

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

mronions wrote:
Hi

Mine does this and I've never got round to sorting it. Symptoms include:

-The whole cluster blinking off then back on in a split-second
-Longer term shut downs where the whole cluster stops working
-Info centre problems after the dash has blinked off then on again (black screen, unresponsive screen etc.)
-No warning beeps (for errors, low temp, low washer fluid, low fuel

I replaced my battery during the summer and the shutdowns became less frequent, but I still didn't get warning sounds back. As the weather got colder the problems came back and, if anything, got worse, but there's no guarantee the weather is related to this problem.

I had a new alternator a couple of weeks ago and things have been stable since then, but still no sounds which means that either:

a) The battery and alternator changes fixed a power problem but the sounds are a different problem
b) The whole thing is completely broken and I just got lucky with the intermittent shutdowns

This company (NOT ENDORSED IN ANY WAY BY ME) appears to list many of our symptoms:

http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/repair/m...ter-speedo

...and they offer a repair service. The downside is that without the dash cluster the car is immobilised and I can't manage without it for more than a day during the winter so I will have to wait until next year to explore refurbishment as an option. Unless is gets any worse. Confused

I had a couple of conversations with someone else on the forum who was having the same problem and was considering a refurb job, but I forget who it was. I'll see if I can dig out the messages and follow up with them.

In the meantime, I know that's not a fix, but at least you know you're not alone.

I had the same problem, the sounder stopped working (no warning signals, or indicator noises), I replaced the sounder.

see here :- http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic84798-30.html

Hope this helps, not sure how handy you are with a soldering iron........

Post #173838923rd Nov 2016 12:06 pm
mronions

Cheers mallo. That looks achievable, although with mine I do still get clicking on turn signals but no other warning sounds. Is it the same sounder so you know?

Post #173846323rd Nov 2016 3:33 pm
mallo

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi mronions.
Now your asking??? is't a few years ago, one thing I do remember and may help is that the head light warning beep stopped working (I hope that makes sense).
I will look tonight and see if the indicator noise is produced by this sounder (I ran two cables out of the instrument cluster and the sounder is in the kick panel under the steering wheel).

Post #173904924th Nov 2016 5:26 pm
mronions

Awesome, cheers. FWIW I get sounds when I leave the lights on or (when not disabled) I don't have a seatbelt on, but nothing if a warning appears in the info centre.

I'm only assuming I should get a noise in that situation because I used to in my Freelander which was very similar. It used to make a noise when the exterior temp was low, the fuel was low and the washer fluid was low.

Post #173905624th Nov 2016 5:40 pm
Toloalex

Moldova 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Sumatra BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Instrument cluster failure

Hi,
Yesterday while driving, observed the same things as you have.
How did you manage to fix this problem?
Thanks in advance for your help.

nastorg wrote:
Hello,

I come to you for a failure with my instrument cluster on my disco3 MY2007 (TDV6).
This is a total blackout : Speedometer, Tachometer, Beeper, Retro-Lights, Fuel Gauge, Turn Signals, information center. Only the EPB light stays on.
I bought this vehicle in April.

The blackout occurred for first time in April-May several times. During the hot summer months the blackout was absent. It reappeared 1 month ago.

It can occur most often from the start and sometimes on the way. Instrument cluster usually turns on after a few minutes. The information center sometimes turns on completely black or blank before returning to normal gradually. During the blackout, all modules works fine, no DTC errors.

I measured the voltage at the diagnostic socket: 10.3v with the key in position II. On the way the tension increases. The voltage at the car radio is 12,6 (in hidden menu, key position II) I replaced the battery: same voltage after replacement (without reset battery, i'm waiting for IID tool next week Very Happy ) .
Airbag Light on central panel works fine during the blackout : i read in a similar topic to test it.

Instrument cluster sometimes starts when the turn signals or air suspension settings are stimulated.
Rarely touching dimmer it turns on. But it can be coincidences Confused

Do you think the problem can be in the instrument cluster? Any ideas ?

Thanks

Post #18222954th Jun 2017 6:52 am
nastorg

First I change alternator : not solved
I finally send my ipac to instrumentclusterrepair.uk 6 months ago : they fixed it Thumbs Up . 180 euros and 3 weeks delay (very busy company)

Post #18224354th Jun 2017 3:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >