DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

I needed a comfy seat at my age!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Red Stag

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
I needed a comfy seat at my age!

Hello to you all out there in D3 land.

I am a really new D3 owner having passed through many, many transformations car wise ... My wife and I have owned (amongst others) three BMW M3's, one BMW M5, two Range Rovers, one Audi quatro, two Land Rover defenders plus many others over the years but I for one am slowing down and Land Rovers have been my fave for many years now.

We live on the edge of Exmoor and I am a wildlife photographer among other things so getting around in the worst of the weather is a must so initially I went for a Defender.

OK its unusual to get snow here in June like 2009 but hey it's the Landy motto "Be prepared Mother"

That snowy beast was my first Defender but by the second one and the passage of 5 years or so I was getting a hunch from being squashed against the door, so much so that I got offered the lead in a Shakespeare play as Richard the 3rd but failed the audition for being too authentic.

So I thought .... ditch the Defenders and use the Range Rover.

No! .... The Wife has nicked it because she can't get her golf clubs into the boot of her Beemer so the BMW is sold and I lose the RR .... Now what?

Here I am hunched and getting more like Victor Meldrew by the hour and still I need a four wheel drive that I won't be scared to take on the moors and park in the ditch .... But it has to be bigger, more comfy and be cheap enough to be an off road camera bag!

On to the internet and "Auto Trader", call the dealer in London and I am now in possession of an 06 D3 at silly money ... it was so silly I was a worried man!

Here it is lurking in a North London street not knowing what was to become of it.

And now it's toes are treading the grass of Exmoor, my bum is less numb then it was in any of the Defenders and my hunch is a fading memory ...... Now how about a winch, bigger wheels, grunty tyres and perhaps a little re-map to get it off the line in a more un Gentlemanly way!

Post #174989316th Dec 2016 6:33 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Welcome to the spending zone. Thumbs Up

Post #174989816th Dec 2016 6:40 pm
Red Stag

I forgot to say ....... The first things to go were the Granny steps!

They might be OK for them Townies but down here where mud is mud stepping out of the D3 is a guaranteed way of ensuring you get a dose of something fragrant up the back of your leg!

Post #174989916th Dec 2016 6:41 pm
Red Stag

DSL wrote:
Welcome to the spending zone. Thumbs Up

Thank you! ....... It's only got me for 150.00 of the Queens portraits so far but I am under no illusion that this figure might rise!

Post #174990216th Dec 2016 6:42 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

£150 so far not bad but it will eat at your pockets more and more Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #174997116th Dec 2016 8:42 pm
steve-o

United Kingdom 

Red Stag wrote:
They might be OK for them Townies but down here where mud is mud stepping out of the D3 is a guaranteed way of ensuring you get a dose of something fragrant up the back of your leg!

Couldn't have put it better myself! I'm jealous, Exmoor is the ideal playground.

Post #175258922nd Dec 2016 4:24 pm
Red Stag

oops! see below!

Last edited by Red Stag on 22nd Dec 2016 5:47 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #175262822nd Dec 2016 5:45 pm
Red Stag

steve-o wrote:
Red Stag wrote:

Couldn't have put it better myself! I'm jealous, Exmoor is the ideal playground.

Hi steve-o! ....... See, you are a man that knows that side steps are nothing more than a hurdle .... It would be better if the sill came in 6 inches not out 8!

I had rock sliders on both of my defenders and they were a bit the same, you had to stand on them because you could not stretch over them unless you were after the fake "Seamed trouser" look.

I was down at "Devon 4x4" this morning talking to Jake who has a cracking 07 HSE D3 ... It's amazing how much time can be spent looking at the D4x4 website and talking about tyres, the coffee was excellent as well!

Post #175262922nd Dec 2016 5:46 pm
Red Stag

Ok time to own up!

I was not at "Devon 4x4" to just chew the fat with the Guy's I was there because I was in the poo!

My steering was lumpy so I diagnosed a dodgy joint on the steering column which a local garage replaced while I went Christmas shopping .... So far so good .... I told them not to turn the steering wheel (trouble with being a retired motor mechanic) did they listen? ... No they flippin well didn't!

Oh! ... we can't clear the faults on the computer! .... You turned the wheel didn't you? ... No we didn't do anything! Rolling Eyes .... Sod the lights on my dash my car is in now in entry mode with a HDC fault showing, now what are you going to do? ...... errrr, lets phone "Devon 4x4".

Give me strength!......... Martin (D4x4) and I go back 2 defenders and a RR, he said your steering sensor was way out, I said "they turned the wheel didn't they?.... he said Whistle

Time to re-negotiate the bill I think!

Post #175264422nd Dec 2016 6:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >