Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Oil change (vacuum method) - Petrol engines NAV8 and SCV6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
umbertob

United States 
Oil change (vacuum method) - Petrol engines NAV8 and SCV6

I realize it will be of limited interest on this UK forum where petrol engines are a rarity, but here in the US they are the only game in town for the LR4, so I thought I'd post my little oil change video here as well if it helps those with a 5-liter V8 or 3-liter SC V6 petrol engine. I have been using the vacuum method regularly for more than 3 years now, it is so easy to change oil in your garage in 15 minutes or less, and only your fingertips get dirty in the process. Draining from the sump under the car (which you can still do if you prefer - both petrol engines still include a drain plug, although the dipstick is gone) would be especially challenging for me, since I installed an Asfir front skid plate on my LR4, and removing that sucker every 7500 miles is no fun.

Couple of fairly obvious things I forgot to mention in the video:

1. Always do this on a flat, level and well ventilated area.
2. If your engine is cold, before you start let it run at idle for a good 10 minutes, then shut it off and let it rest for another 10-15. The oil should be warm as it will be easier to extract, and should be allowed enough time to drip back down into the sump so you can vacuum as much of it out as possible.
3. After you fill the engine with fresh oil, allow 5 minutes before checking its level with the digital gauge in the instrument cluster to let it settle. Also, since the new filter will absorb and retain a decent quantity of oil after you start the engine, it's always a good idea to check the level one last time after warming it up at idle for a few minutes, letting it cool and settle for another 15 or so, and topping off if necessary (probably not, but better safe than sorry.)
4. Oil specs for the SCV6 engine may have changed slightly compared to the V8 featured in my video (check your manual), but quantities and procedures are otherwise identical.
5. I use my trusty IIDTool to get rid of the pesky service reminder messages that pop up every 15k miles or 12 months.

Apologies about the Italian accent, but volume can be muted. Smile

Umberto B
2006 RRS HSE white / ebony / lux / RSE / PTI / LRD / Sirius. Going, going...
2013 LR4 HSE red / arabica / black pack / 7-seat lux / HD pack / RSE / Vison Assist / Sirius 

Post #175047018th Dec 2016 1:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >