Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

D4 2016 model year condensation in both Xenon headlamp units
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
lccl148

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4
D4 2016 model year condensation in both Xenon headlamp units

Bought the car less than a week ago and noticed this by chance as I walked past it earlier today. Both Xenon units have condensation on the inside of the glass from the base to approximately half-way up. Is this normal or if not, is there a fix please?
 I'm off to a party with the RNLI tonight. They may not get together very often, but when they do, they certainly know how to push the boat out.  
Post #175309423rd Dec 2016 5:53 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

The trick for the D3s with same issue was take them out, take the covers off and put them on a radiator (prob on a towel) to dry them off. No idea re MY16s but can't see why not. Thumbs Up

Post #175309823rd Dec 2016 5:57 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

The easier trick is to turn-on the headlights.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #175310123rd Dec 2016 6:01 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

That hasn't worked on my D3 lights, and I'm too lazy to take them out. Whistle Whistle

Post #175310223rd Dec 2016 6:03 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

If it's a 2016 car, take it back to the Dealership and let them fix the problem Confused

Post #175333724th Dec 2016 1:04 pm
Washwipe

England 

Dealer won't do diddly squat.

Copied from the owners manual.

HEADLIGHT CONDENSATION

Misting of headlight lenses can occur under some atmospheric conditions. Performance of the lights is not affected and misting clears during normal operation.

Post #175334724th Dec 2016 1:47 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I think it depends on the amount of condensation and the area affected. I'm sure that a lot of early D3 headlights were changed under warranty, depending on the severity of the problem. For me, if it's a 2016 car it would be going back to the Dealership for investigation. Thumbs Up

Post #175334924th Dec 2016 1:51 pm
Washwipe

England 

Thud

Post #175336224th Dec 2016 2:39 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Why the Thud ?

As I said, it depends on the degree of condensation, best let the Dealership have a look and decide if it is severe enough to replace under warranty. Info below from DG in December last year, although the illustrations haven't copied, so I have also attached the link to his post Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic139265....p;start=15

DiscoStu wrote:
Technical Service Bulletin No.LA417-002V3 15 February 2005

This bulletin supersedes TSB LA417-002V2/2005 dated 17 January, which should either be destroyed or clearly marked to show it is no longer valid (e.g. with a line across the page).

Subject/Concern : Discovery 3/LR3 - Headlamp Internal Condensation

Models : Discovery 3 / LR3 Markets : All

Summary :
This bulletin provides information on standards relating to acceptable/unacceptable levels of condensation that may occur in Discovery 3/LR3 headlamps.

This bulletin has been re-issued for revised part numbers.

Cause : The misting is generally caused by natural condensation and can be expected under certain atmospheric conditions. Certain levels of condensation are deemed acceptable by Land Rover.
NOTE : Incorrect replacement of bulb-covers following bulb replacement can lead to condensation forming. Ensure bulb-covers are correctly installed. If this is determined to be the cause of the condensation, measures should be taken to dry out the lamps and to ensure that the bulb-covers are installed correctly. Condensation levels should be monitored to allow natural dissipation of the condensation.

Action : Should a customer express concern relating to the above, this bulletin has been issued to assist service personnel in providing a detailed explanation relating to Land Rover's standards on this subject.

Service Procedure
Normal condensation is a natural process. Discovery 3/LR3 headlamps are vented to alleviate changes in pressure through a sophisticated Gore-Tex vent. Atmospheric air contains water vapor referred to as humidity. When this air enters the headlamp under any circumstance, there is a possibility that condensation can occur if the temperature is cold enough. When normal condensation occurs, a thin film of mist can form on the inside surface of the plastic lens. The thin mist will clear and exit through the vents during normal operation.

During a period of normal headlamp operation the condensation should dissipate as the lamp heats up.

However, if considerable water droplets still remain on the inside of the headlamp glass (refer to attached illustrations), the lamp should be renewed. If there is evidence of standing water within the headlamp unit, the unit will also need to be renewed. For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Discovery 3/LR3 Workshop Manual Section 417-01, Exterior Lighting - Headlamp Assembly (86.40.49).

NOTE : Headlamps with light misting should not be renewed under warranty. Please refer step 1 and step 2 for clarification of headlamp renewal which will be covered under warranty.

1 . For headlamp renewal covered by warranty please refer to the following attached illustrations:
1 . Large apparent visible droplets of water on the interior side of the clear plastic lens.
Refer to attached illustration E58385
2 . Drip marks/streaks in the film of condensation on the interior side of the clear plastic lens.
Refer to attached illustration E58386
3 . Thick mist covering a majority of the interior side of the clear plastic lens. The thick mist also obstructs the view of the interior of the lamp.
Refer to attached illustration E58387
4 . Puddles/pools of water in the interior of the headlamp.

2 . For headlamp renewal NOT covered by warranty please refer to the following attached illustrations:
1 . No drip marks/streaks in the finely condensed film on the interior side of the clear plastic lens.
Refer to attached illustration E58388
2 . There are no visible water droplets in the thin mist.
Refer to attached illustration E58389
3 . The fine mist does not obstruct the view of the interior of the lamp.
Refer to attached illustration E58390
4 . Condensation covers less than 50% of the interior side of the lens.
Refer to attached illustration E58391
5 . Headlamps with no visible condensation.

Attached Illustration - E58385
Headlamp Condensation Covered by Warranty - 1 (Large water droplets)

Attached Illustration - E58386
Headlamp Condensation Covered by Warranty - 2 (Drip marks/streaks in condensation)

Attached Illustration - E58387
Headlamp Condensation Covered by Warranty - 3 (Thick mist covering the lens with water droplets)

Attached Illustration - E58388
Headlamp Condensation NOT Covered by Warranty - 1

Attached Illustration - E58389
Headlamp Condensation NOT Covered by Warranty - 2

Attached Illustration - E58390
Headlamp Condensation NOT Covered by Warranty - 3 (Mist does not obstruct the view of the lamp's interior)

Attached Illustration - E58391
Headlamp Condensation NOT Covered by Warranty - 4 (Fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens)

Post #175339624th Dec 2016 4:20 pm
philm

England 

Why the Thud ?

As I said, it depends on the degree of condensation, best let the Dealership have a look and decide if it is severe enough to replace under warranty. Info below from DG in December last year, although the illustrations haven't copied, so I have also attached the link to his post Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic139265....p;start=15

DiscoStu wrote:
Technical Service Bulletin No.LA417-002V3 15 February 2005

He asked about D4 2016, don't think dealer would look at that TSB.
 L633 Defender
Range Rover Velar-gone
Discovery 4 Landmark-gone
Gap IID Tool 

Post #175342424th Dec 2016 5:27 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I'm sure that its still an ongoing problem, but there's only one way to find out for sure, ask the Dealership to have a look Whistle

Post #175356524th Dec 2016 11:25 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If its only 2-3 cm up from the bottom then it's perfectly normal, it will clear after a few minutes with the lights on, dealer won't do anything so save yourself the journey. Faulty units mist over completely from bottom to top.

Post #175360325th Dec 2016 3:28 am
lccl148

Thanks for the comprehensive debate fellas; condensation goes half way up both lamps and won't clear so will be going back to dealer. Also have the outside temperature 3 degree issue for them to sort, plus the tailgate won't shut without a hefty slam so there's plenty for them to look at... Never mind; it's only a Disco so I shouldn't
expect anything less....
 I'm off to a party with the RNLI tonight. They may not get together very often, but when they do, they certainly know how to push the boat out.  
Post #175518529th Dec 2016 6:25 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Good luck. It will come down to how good your dealer is. Mine did manage to fix the 3 deg internal temp display issue but only after I gave them the LTB number, twice, and moaned twice. On the tailgate slam, I got the usual " they all do that sir so it isn't an issue". On the front tow eye cover coming loose, we currently have "we've already replaced it once sir", second time its been in for that . So it's going in again for tailgate, front tow eye cover and now internal heating cannot maintain temperature (well documented here but three attempts for dealer to acknowledge the problem). It's laughable really.

Post #175537730th Dec 2016 2:01 am
lccl148

Laughable it certainly is. Given what it has just cost me it should be faultless but, if there's one thing this forum has taught me as a Discovery owner, it is that such a luxury is unlikely. However, my dealer (Harwoods of Edenbridge) always gave me exceptional service with my old D3, so I trust this relationship will continue even though the car didn't come from them. Fingers will be well and truly crossed and I'll report back the results
when they've had a chance to take a look.
Post #175539030th Dec 2016 8:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >