DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Roading & Green Laning

GLASS v the yobs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
GLASS v the yobs

http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.u...ham_Dales/

I know this road and it has been churned up to h*ll and back in recent years. Once again the 90% who are responsible suffer because of the 10% of idiots Shocked

Post #176132010th Jan 2017 8:10 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I'm conflicted on this. I'm a paid up GLASS member and have been involved in lane restorations and remedial drainage work in Dorset and waymarking/signposting on Salisbury Plain.

Do I think the walkers who have spat at my car give a toss that we are the "good guys"? Has my work prevented lane closures brought about by nimbys? Will repairs to this lane stop the knuckle draggers ripping it up "coz it's only a bit of fun, innit"?

Unlikely.

I'm of the view that the best outcome is to gather evidence and get these cockwombles nicked.

Discuss..... Confused

Post #176132510th Jan 2017 8:22 pm
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

Stake outs, hidden cameras and prosecute the Censored who spoil it for us responsible laners
 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
RR Vogue SE 2011 4.4 TDV8
1974 Lightweight 

Post #176133610th Jan 2017 8:40 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I used to enjoy some sensible green lane driving. I enjoyed lanes in Hampshire (where I used to live) and as far away as Wales. But only when dry, and never 'mud plugging'. Unfortunately, the image of off roading is irreparable, and I rather not be involved anymore. The only thing I might be tempted to do would be an organised off road day with the AWDC or similar.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #176134010th Jan 2017 8:45 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'm with NoDosh on this. I'm also a Glass member and enjoy responsible Green laning.

I feel that I already pay enough into the council coffers and government funds with the extortionate road tax and fuel duty and council tax that I pay. To 'volunteer' additional money would possibly set a precedent that could backfire in the future.

In my opinion, the NPA's and councils do manage to find plenty of funds to renovate footpaths and cycle ways, but quite readily plead poverty when it comes to the less publicity friendly general maintenance of byways and ucr's.

These people need to be caught and prosecuted. I don't want to have to pay to repair their damage, in the vain hope that I will be allowed to continue to use the routes.

Post #176134710th Jan 2017 8:53 pm
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

There are some who trash the lanes (and surrounding private land) because they simply don't know better. Some can become responsible owners if given guidance and encouragement. Others, however are simply the shallow end of the genetic pool and could only be useful to society as target practice for the army.

Most lanes that are in poor condition are like that due insufficient maintenance rather than excessive use. Unfortunately, when lanes become damaged, they become more challenging and attract the mud pluggers who want to see ihow far they can get before getting stuck or breaking something.

Sadly, when it comes to maintaining lanes, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't. If we admit that the lanes need maintaining or repairing (like all roads do) then we get accused of trashing them. If we do nothing then they deteriorate until they are unusable by anything except heavily modified vehicles which rip them up even more because it's a challenge.
 MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!
MY2012 D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - retired to a new home

Post #176135410th Jan 2017 9:00 pm
Airbus Guy

Kenya 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Totally pees me off! A lane runs across my land. It's mostly aggregate under soil so it's usually fairly solid. There's a couple of lower sections that get a bit wet and boggy when it rains. I stay off those sections when they're wet. Unfortunately, there's some who delight in coming out at the first sign of rain and churning those sections up into muddy morasses. On the dry sections they don't find it challenging enough so they go off piste through my fields. I caught one of them the other day, hooning through and blocked him in, asking what the hell he thought he was doing. He produced some sort of trail guide and said he had every right to be there. Trouble is they don't come alone and it's usually a convoy of at least 7 or 8 vehicles all with mud tyres, winches etc.
He was lucky I was in the Disco and not the JCB

Post #176310714th Jan 2017 12:03 am
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

That's not on Airbus Guy if I was you I'd be taking photos of any idiots who go off piste and reporting them to the police. Which lane is it (you can pm me if you wish) and I can let at least some of the responsible green laners to avoid it in winter Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #176321914th Jan 2017 12:39 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

DrRobH wrote:
Stake outs, hidden cameras and prosecute the Censored who spoil it for us responsible laners

They did exactly that down Holly Hill, cops in shogun and another on a trial bike hidden in the trees, the whole woods either side is/was a SSSI and the whole lane is now permit controlled with locked gates etc.
Lots pf permit lanes down here, Ive lost count of the number of times Ive come across the gates ripped off their posts or locks cut.
The council did grade a lot of the lane and put up large logs either side to deter people going off piste.
The cops caught one guy in a full on tricked out range rover with every toy going apart from insurance Mr. Green

I came across a whole load of them tearing up some farmers field and could see the farmer and one of his mates/hands watching helplessly again there were so many cars they cant really do anything.
This wasnt just off piste a little this was a full on 3/400 yards into the guys land.

Post #176326414th Jan 2017 2:54 pm
Discoveringcomfort

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Lane near me was refurbished by council, within a week the adjacent forrester hsd driven his timber tractor down it and did a three point turn to rip it all up.
Even though it was obvious by the tyre depth and the rear blade marks we still got the blame!
 Series 1 V8
Series 2 Hibrid V8
Discovery 3 HSE V8 

Post #176329314th Jan 2017 3:57 pm
Airbus Guy

Caught, Bang to rights :-)

Thanks for the tip @Hairy Dan. Wink
With the aid of my insurance company, I've installed some wildlife cameras at various places along the lanes that run through my land. I check them each day and Bingo!
Now with the help of my insurance company I'll be going after these Censored . I hope they've got the right insurance to cover them cos if not it's going to be pursued through the courts. Laughing Laughing Laughing
The b Censored ds managed to get themselves stuck by venturing off the track and they've pulled down my dry stone wall to help extricate themselves. Now they're going to be finding out that it has been an expensive mornings vandalism. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Incidentally, I don't buy into the excuse that they're "maintaining the track" for cutting down my lane side trees and blackthorn bushes. I am trying to run a wildlife friendly farm and I don't need any half arsed idiots running around cutting down my trees, damaging my hedgerows and damaging my water courses. So please, any one who feels the temptation to do that is reminded they're now being watched and will be pursued for any damage resulting from their use of the lanes on my property.

Post #17748876th Feb 2017 3:19 pm
GSLRO

England 

Just be careful when tackling certain issues as while it is your land and if the track is for public use (walker, cyclists, horse, trail rider and/or 4x4 etc), whatever its designation other users also have rights.

Can I cut back vegetation from a path or stile?

You may carry a pair of pocket secateurs to cut back only the vegetation that impedes progress along a path, providing that no more than necessary is done to enable you to make your way conveniently along the path. If anything more than this is done, for example you go out with the express intention of clearing a particular path, equipped with tools such as a saw, spade or pick-axe, this risks going beyond what is necessary to enable convenient progress.

Also ... ...

What can I do about overgrown hedges and trees adjacent to public rights of way?

In most circumstances, the responsibilities of the county council do not extend to the maintenance of hedges and trees at the side of public rights of way. The landowner is responsible for ensuring that a hedge does not overhang a public right of way so as to obstruct it.

We do have a right to remove so much of the overgrowth to prevent obstruction to pedestrians and equestrians. Additionally, we have powers to require that the owners of overhanging hedges lop or cut back the hedge within a period of 14 days. (Highways Act 1980 section 154)

If a byway is being damaged by the exclusion of light and air due to adjacent hedges or trees, we have a power to seek an order at a magistrates court, to require the owner to cut back sufficient to prevent such damage. However, before using this power, the we would discuss the matter with adjacent landowners and request that the hedges or trees be cut back, or agree to carry out the work in conjunction with the owner as part of a larger project. (Highways Act section 136)

How wide is a public path and what width should the footpath be reinstated to?

Each Public Right of Way may have a legal width recorded for part or all of the route, and in these cases this width should always be available. Where paths cross cultivated (arable) land and a width is not specified, a guide to the minimum width that the path should be re-instated to is available below:
•cross-field footpath - one metre
•field-edge footpath - 1.5 metres
•cross-field bridleway - two metres
•field-edge bridleway - three metres
•cross-field byway - three metres
•field-edge byway - five metres

Please be aware that these minimum widths apply to arable land only and only where no other width for the path is recorded. It is the farmers' or landowners' responsibility to ensure that all Public Rights of Way that pass over land they occupy and cultivate (under their care) are maintained to the standards required by law. If you are in any doubt about the width of paths, please contact your local Rights of Way Officer.

What if someone uses intimidation or threatening behaviour intended to deter use of a Public Right of Way?

The use of intimidating behaviour with the intention of deterring the use of a Public Right of Way is possibly an offence and may amount to obstruction of the path. In the first place, we will seek to address any underlying issues which have lead to the situation arising. We may then issue a warning to the offender and involve the police as appropriate. (Public Order Act 1986 section 4)

http://www.durham.gov.uk/article/3325/Publ...-Questions
 Club N.E.R.D.s  
Post #17749036th Feb 2017 4:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Airbus Guy

Wondered how long it would take to get a bite

Our legal advice is that if damage is caused to our property and we can provide proof of such damage we can (and will) pursue the matter through the legal process. If we have suspicions that the damage is being caused wilfully we will involve the police and pursue criminal damage charges. The pulling down of stone walls would count as criminal damage as they are nowhere near the track. The track is wide enough not to require the removal of any vegetation to allow passage to anyone requiring to pass along it if you stick to the track (and don't pull off to the side to take photos of your customers).

Post #17749656th Feb 2017 6:33 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

NoDo$h wrote:

I'm of the view that the best outcome is to gather evidence and get these cockwombles nicked.

Discuss..... Confused

Cockwomble Bow down Bow down Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #17749866th Feb 2017 6:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >