Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

New fbh problem with altox controller. .
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
billymadbiker

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
New fbh problem with altox controller. .

Hi guys.
All the glow plugs have failed on my 2008 and she won't start if below about 7-8deg (just cranks over for ever )
Obviously they are all stuck and won't come out so I fitted the altox GSM remote start instead.

This worked absolutely fine for 4-5 weeks (providing I remember to text it half an hour before I actually want to use the car in cold weather!)

Anyway, about a week ago I sent a 'start' sms and got a 'webstabo is not responding' reply.
2 reading the codes with the altox got me a 11 and a 81.
(Module incorrect coded' and 'elo checksum error' a cording to the altox website.

The first time this happened I disconnected the battery and it did start again after that but only once. Now it won't work at all.
Clearing the codes works but they reappear as soon as I attempt to start the fbh again.

I have also tried using the 'switch' start wire in the altox and when doing this I can hear a faint clicking coming from the fbh for maybe 10 secs or so but then it stops and still nothing happens.

Reading the status via the altox looks ok, bat volts good, temp low enough etc.

Ant help welcome as I can't start the car in this weather without it working!

Post #176903925th Jan 2017 10:44 pm
billymadbiker

I'm still having the same problem.
Does anybody have any more information on codes 11 or 81?
Thanks!

Post #177744412th Feb 2017 8:31 am
billymadbiker

I think the heater unit itself is fine.

Yesterday I plugged a sdd/mongoose into the car. It was showing the same 2 codes for the fbh.
The only option in the sdd software was a purge of the fbh so I ran that and I could here the pump running.

I cleared the codes and locked the car, waited for the parking brake light to go off, and tried a remote start but got the 11 and 81 codes again.
I cleared these again via the altox app. I then tried to start the car without running the park heater. Cranked it over 4-5 times for 30secs each time but no start.
I then gave up and locked up. Sent one last 'start' text and the fbh then decided to fire up!
By this point batt volts were reading 11.9v.
It ran for the full 30mins and the car started fine.

This morning I have 12.6v. 2degC.
It won't fire up via the altox, codes 11 & 81 again. Tried replicating yesterday (cranking over a few times, unlocking+lockibg) but that's not helped.
I don't know if it's worth spending an hour in the cold to purge the fbh via sdd again?

Any ideas welcome!

Post #177744912th Feb 2017 8:40 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sounds to me like it's something wrong with the heater rather than the controller. If it's not starting the burn process it may well be the controller board in the FBH.
Lots of things can cause it to not start, but it is receivibg the signal.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #177745212th Feb 2017 8:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Markland

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I really like using the mobile app.
Did You already tried that, billy?

When You watch the Car and the status, You can follow voltage, coolant temperature an wether the heater flame jump already in or not...

Sitting somewhere with a hot coffee and watching the cars front will give You additionaly impression of what the fbh is producing...

To get it to work in a reliable way, I:::
--- Cleaned it by taking it out, and in pieces
--- used diesel system cleaner to been put in the tank when low and then started the fbh a lot.
--- A new battery

Now, when its not starting at first attempt, it will do in the second.

I sent a mail to russia, asking if it is possible to tell the user of the mobile app the attempt to get the flame started an fbh fully running, he anwsers, tHis:::

(I asume it's okey to copy paste the part of the text, as it was a formal client to seller request...)
Altochev@...wrote:
- If there is a problem with the start. Land Rover doesn't want to repeat the start if there are problems, and we don't want to change the algorithms a Land Rover because it's not safe. (Heater should start the first time or need to to do the repair. Typically, this problem is the burner.)

My thought to this is:
I don't see, why it shouldn't be possible, if the user, via mobile app, wants the fbh to start.
the status via data transfer watched by the mobile app then recognizing that the flame is not established after a certain time, could inform the user via notification that the flame is not cumming up.

No need to change an LR algorithm.
But maybe a problem with the star-up only occuring to me?!
 TDV6MY07-automatic-LHD-noDPF-iidbt-ffrrMod  
Post #177781212th Feb 2017 8:14 pm
billymadbiker

I do get a sms every time.
After some more poking about today I have found that when I send a 'start' sms the heater makes a quite ticking for 20 secs then stops. Then I get an error sms.
If I then read the code with the altox I get error 11 and 81.

It might be that the heater won't start but those are not the errors I would expect from that?

I suppose I need to chose between a service kit and stripping and rebuilding the fbh. Or trying to change the glowplugs?

Post #177782412th Feb 2017 8:32 pm
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

From what I've read it'd be much cheaper buying a new FBH than attempting to have the plugs done!

As Markland said, the Altox app is cool 8)

You can switch off the text it sends you after you text it also.

Post #177783312th Feb 2017 8:43 pm
Markland

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

There are several clues beside what I did.

There is the ""Blowing" with a straw in the air intake". As far as I understand it, it's speeding up air, because the fan is not fast enough, or the glowing by the the glow plug is not hot enough. I summed it up as : not enough battery power.

Therefore an easy thing is: Connect the car to a battery charger, so the cold starting curve is supported by it. Try to start it, now you have appr. 12,6V steadily...

Other direction of symtoms:
On an other disco 3, I cared for, everytime fbh started, it was kind of steaming like a coal train. Even while the burner unit was cleaned and glow plug was changed before.
So, that make me think : if the camber was clean and the glow-plug perfect, while air intake is clear aswell ### then it must have been something about the dieseljuice or the lines...

I think these units run not often AND constantly enough. So the risk of diesel jamming in the fuel during summer in the fuelline is given.
Use diesel system care watch out for a vital battery-life::: in 2 of 2 cases was THE thing.

Procedure::j
- Nearly empty main tank
- Add diesel system care (your injectors will thank You aswell) and use the blue push-button coming with the altox to fire it up and up and up again. So, the system care will sucked in the fbh fuel line, the pump and the injector to free the dieseljam for the dieseljuice.

And I can tell You: It's the laziest of all options the tank specialy and charge zhe battery, besides bringing her in to change SOME parts and SOME money against not knowing what was going on.

Thumbs Up
 TDV6MY07-automatic-LHD-noDPF-iidbt-ffrrMod  
Post #177789312th Feb 2017 10:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >