Post Reply  Down to end
Page 173 of 282 <123 ... 172173174 ... 280281282>
Vince

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Fancy a job with DPD Rolling with laughter

Post #229533912th Jun 2022 8:05 am
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

My eldest, who’s a single, 21 yo student, asking me why girls sleep like a starfish and he ends up falling out of bed. Embarassed

His mother, who was within ear shot, flipped telling him there would be no nonsense in her house when she visited and then I got the blame for his alleged promiscuity. Banging Head

Post #229579815th Jun 2022 8:55 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

F Censored n rail strike. It’s going to right royally mess up us getting home. Bring on full train automation and fire the lot. Thumbs Up Evil or Very Mad

Post #229595316th Jun 2022 10:38 am
Moleshome

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Train automation won't make the slightest bit of difference, the majority of the drivers are with ASLEF. This strike is members of the RMT union which is support staff, signallers, ticket staff, cleaners, fitters, all the people that would still be needed.

But heaven forbid that people struggling to protect their standard of living should interfere with your holiday arrangements.

Post #229597116th Jun 2022 12:29 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Don't forget to spare a thought for the RMT" bosses":

Mick Cash, the RMT’s former general secretary, took home a total remuneration of £163,468 in 2020, including £1,432 in car benefit.

Steve Hedley, former RMT senior assistant general secretary, had a total remuneration of £94,016, including £2,945 in car benefit, in the same year.

Former RMT assistant general secretary and now the union’s general secretary, Mick Lynch, had total remuneration of £118,450 in 2020.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #229597416th Jun 2022 12:49 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Moleshome wrote:
But heaven forbid that people struggling to protect their standard of living should interfere with your holiday arrangements.

Fine, just means I’ll use rail transport less. More of their customers, I know that’s a strange concept but they are the ones that pay their wages, they Censored off then the fewer customers they will have then, hopefully, they’ll find themselves on the dole. Sorted. Thumbs Up

Post #229597816th Jun 2022 1:15 pm
Moleshome

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

And the former Chief Exec of First Group got a basic salary of £846k with bonuses taking him up to £1.26m in 2017, so what?

Post #229598416th Jun 2022 1:33 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:

Mick Cash, the RMT’s former general secretary, took home a total remuneration of £163,468 in 2020, including £1,432 in car benefit.

Steve Hedley, former RMT senior assistant general secretary, had a total remuneration of £94,016, including £2,945 in car benefit, in the same year.

Former RMT assistant general secretary and now the union’s general secretary, Mick Lynch, had total remuneration of £118,450 in 2020.

That's always been the case, though. They are heads of large organisations and remuneration of heads of big organisations tends to be commensurately large.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #229598816th Jun 2022 1:50 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

DSL wrote:
Moleshome wrote:

Fine, just means I’ll use rail transport less. More of their customers, I know that’s a strange concept but they are the ones that pay their wages, they Censored off then the fewer customers they will have then, hopefully, they’ll find themselves on the dole. Sorted. Thumbs Up

There are four courses of action open to them. 1. They can just take whatever the company throws at them and suck it up and be grateful little people. 2. They can work to rule. 3. They can withdraw their labour. 4. They can leave the company and look for work elsewhere.

Now, 1. is the Victorian option and most favoured by Tories of course. 2. and 3. put pressure on the employer to come to the table and generally only last a short time. 4. just screws everyone for a long time, employee, employer and customer.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #229598916th Jun 2022 1:56 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
LT wrote:

That's always been the case, though. They are heads of large organisations and remuneration of heads of big organisations tends to be commensurately large.

Indeed and good on them, I don't begrudge them a penny. It still amuses me though when I hear the likes of Mick Cash speaking/campaigning.

In simple terms, wage rises during a period of stagflation doesn't make economic sense as higher wages are a significant cause of inflation. Which just adds to the financial problems of the poorest in our society.

With all but the most wealthy being adversely affected, I don't know how much public sympathy the railway workers are likely to get if the strike does go ahead.

Post #229599116th Jun 2022 2:37 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The only way to help the bottom end without squeezing the middle majority, is to up the tax take from the top end. I think we should have a "if you're a Brit then you pay tax no matter where you live" system. You pay local taxes and then you pay to HMRC any difference between the local and the UK taxation amounts. It instantly catches the off shored wealth that is made here but hidden away.

There is also the general point about why billionaires are allowed to even be billionaires. At that level of wealth it's pure status - "my dick is bigger than yours" type stuff. Sure, some millions in the bank is ok but no one needs or should have wealth that is greater than dozens of countries' GDPs. There is no reasonable justification for it.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #229599216th Jun 2022 2:49 pm
Moleshome

RRSTDV8 wrote:
LT wrote:

And in fact, company car benefit of £1,432 is miniscule at what would be the equivalent of CEO of a large organisation level.

Post #229599316th Jun 2022 2:50 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

In my time, I've been both a full-on card holding union rep and a staff representative- the latter being a whole lot like the first but with less "power" and no personal legal protection.

I've done this stuff from single-site small company to sitting on a European Worker's Council as an "invited expert. I think it fair to say I've seen all modes that the workforce/management interface can operate in.

And I have to say, the "German model" is the one we should all aspire to, being based on trust and cooperation. But even that can get screwed over when the company is ultimately managed by folks from the USA or Japan, where - IMHO - the culture makes even the UK's worst neanderthal management look compassionate and caring.

A much wiser Union rep than myself said something that's stuck with me ... "companies get the union they deserve"
... essentially, treat your staff like Censored and you'll get the hardest faced union, sticking up for thir members but making the relationship difficult and generally being inflexible.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #229599416th Jun 2022 2:52 pm
LT

RRSTDV8 wrote:
The only way to help the bottom end without squeezing the middle majority, is to up the tax take from the top end. I think we should have a "if you're a Brit then you pay tax no matter where you live" system. You pay local taxes and then you pay to HMRC any difference between the local and the UK taxation amounts. It instantly catches the off shored wealth that is made here but hidden away.

There is also the general point about why billionaires are allowed to even be billionaires. At that level of wealth it's pure status - "my dick is bigger than yours" type stuff. Sure, some millions in the bank is ok but no one needs or should have wealth that is greater than dozens of countries' GDPs. There is no reasonable justification for it.

Deciding a maximum amount of wealth anyone should have is a very slippery slope.

Do we really need to drive Land Rovers?

Do you carry on running your business, that might be a big employer and contributes £m’s to the revenue, when you reach the maximum wealth threshold? What’s the incentive?

Post #229599516th Jun 2022 2:56 pm
Moleshome

Unfortunately the big companies aren't contributing £m's to the revenue. They're paying Censored all in taxation while the likes of you and I pay the revenue in the form of VAT whilst also subsidising their wage bills with our taxes to top up their under-paid workers wages with benefits.

Post #229599616th Jun 2022 3:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 173 of 282 <123 ... 172173174 ... 280281282>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >