Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

D4 in Tank Low pressure lift pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jasonb

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
D4 in Tank Low pressure lift pump

Are there any known issues with the in tank low pressure fuel pumps on the D4's. I don't see much about them on the forum.

I'm struggling to get to the bottom of the initial hesitation on pick up and the gearbox kicking down all the time out of corners to compensate. Recent service with filer change has had little effect. The car has no codes in it.

In cold weather the problem all but goes away. Now the weather is warming up the problem is back.

My D3 like many others suffered an in tank pump failure a few years ago and when I replaced it the low speed pick up and response improved greatly.

D4 had 95k miles, wondering if the in tank filter on the pump might be getting clogged assuming its similar to the D3?

Post #17870894th Mar 2017 9:02 pm
Dartmoor Dave

United Kingdom 

based on every thing I've read and my neighbours D3 tank at a similar mileage I would go for the in tank filter. Its a sad little sack of felt and mesh. I have yet to find out if its available separately. The replacement pump came with a filter but it wouldn't fit the D3 tank pot.
We are about to refit the tank so here goes.

Post #183636313th Jul 2017 9:02 am
Dartmoor Dave

United Kingdom 

This topic crosses over to another about LP pumps. We cleaned the in tank pump filter and tank itself, all sorts of black goo came out. Its quite easy to clean the tank, just hold the non return flap in the filler neck stub open with a rod or similar and most runs out there. Mop out anything else with rags with tank level.
Replaced pump, connected gauge to output pipe and ran pump on vehicle harness for 10 mins no problem.
Replaced tank, checked at engine valve, ran engine for 10 mins with system holding not less than 5 psi but road test was a dud. Still getting fuel flow but Bing Bong dropped to idle.
Taken to local LR man with magic box. Fuel delivery OK but RHS EGR valve is stuck causing ECU to shut down. LR man to investigate.
See my other posts but in tank pump is being strangled by goop in a lot of these fuel issues.
Also get magic box to check EGR etc if you are having similar acceleration issues.

Post #184990422nd Aug 2017 9:44 am
Dartmoor Dave

United Kingdom 

Transpired the main inj pump was duff. Exchange pump and inj fitted and went off up the road like a mad thing. Now got full power and no bing bong but for how long is anybody's guess.

Post #18770548th Nov 2017 8:40 am
CRV Man

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Are we talking about the High pressure diesel pump
just had mine changed at 115000 miles what difference in the car Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #188381426th Nov 2017 8:10 pm
Dartmoor Dave

United Kingdom 

Yes, despite the fact it started and ran perfectly albeit only to 2-3000 revs the local guy fitted a service exchange main injection pump and a set of reconditioned injectors. I still don't understand why it started and ran so smoothly but as the magic box turned up 2 A4 pages of faults for a car that seemed to be functioning normally I just don't know. I won't ever buy another LR other than an old 110 maybe. But my '94 Isuzu Trooper 3.1td has 180k on it and has only cost me an alternator so far, has no rust on the body anywhere and tows anything I want has convinced me not to.
The nightmare electrical problems and mechanical failures of the whole LR range puts it right up there with Renault / Peugeot / Citreon.
It seems you don't get what you pay for these days and now they are going to fit Ford engines.

Post #188419827th Nov 2017 7:49 pm
3disco

It is fitted with a Ford engine now and going forward landrovers will be fitted with ingenium based engines made by landrover,whether that’s good or bad time will tell!

Post #188421927th Nov 2017 8:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >