Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

First 10 days & 800 miles + a question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
S2bear

United Kingdom 
First 10 days & 800 miles + a question

Hi all. New here but thought I'd throw in my experience so far.
Picked up my D5 td6 HSE and drove it to the French alps, still here.
Very comfortable quiet and capable even in 22s with ski rack up top.
Mpg started at 25 then up to 28 as the miles went on, am expecting this to get better when the rack comes off and mileage increases.
A few minor niggles so far:
SIM adaptor (book says you CAN use one) got stuck day one. LR tech pulled out adaptor with pliers along with the sim slot guts & pins. Th dealer immediately replaced the sim panel etc. Great service but I switched to a micro sim instead and would advise against using an adaptor as the stakes are so high for a cheap plastic shortcut.
The a/c control panel that opens to reveal the handy secret compartment has a loose connection so I keep losing the nav screen and / or the climate controls. This is REALLY annoying but hopefully a simple fix when I get back. Last night I drove through sleet, rain and fog on alpine roads and this car has amazing headlights (led), even the HBA is great. I didn't want this due to past experiences with this functionality on a BMW years ago but don't be put off, they've nailed it. Now the question, I couldn't see any of the controls on the wiper/lights/cruise stalks as they weren't illuminated, yet the +/- on the paddle shift are, as is everything else, as I'm not totally familiar with it yet this made things pretty tricky. Are the stalk labels meant to be illuminated / would anyone be kind enough to check theirs to see if they are?
Other than the niggles, it's a very nice place to be!

Post #179346919th Mar 2017 12:25 pm
J77

Scotland 

Wiper stalks etc don't illuminate, never had done on any LR, only the flappy paddles. Thumbs Up
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #179349119th Mar 2017 1:29 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

No I don't believe the are illuminated.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #179349219th Mar 2017 1:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
S2bear

United Kingdom 
Thank you

Thanks for the replies chaps. I'm off to eat more carrots Very Happy

Post #179350519th Mar 2017 2:28 pm
SafariDave

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: First 10 days & 800 miles + a question

S2bear wrote:
Hi all. New here but thought I'd throw in my experience so far.
Picked up my D5 td6 HSE and drove it to the French alps, still here.
Very comfortable quiet and capable even in 22s with ski rack up top.
Mpg started at 25 then up to 28 as the miles went on, am expecting this to get better when the rack comes off and mileage increases.
A few minor niggles so far:
SIM adaptor (book says you CAN use one) got stuck day one. LR tech pulled out adaptor with pliers along with the sim slot guts & pins. Th dealer immediately replaced the sim panel etc. Great service but I switched to a micro sim instead and would advise against using an adaptor as the stakes are so high for a cheap plastic shortcut.
The a/c control panel that opens to reveal the handy secret compartment has a loose connection so I keep losing the nav screen and / or the climate controls. This is REALLY annoying but hopefully a simple fix when I get back. Last night I drove through sleet, rain and fog on alpine roads and this car has amazing headlights (led), even the HBA is great. I didn't want this due to past experiences with this functionality on a BMW years ago but don't be put off, they've nailed it. Now the question, I couldn't see any of the controls on the wiper/lights/cruise stalks as they weren't illuminated, yet the +/- on the paddle shift are, as is everything else, as I'm not totally familiar with it yet this made things pretty tricky. Are the stalk labels meant to be illuminated / would anyone be kind enough to check theirs to see if they are?
Other than the niggles, it's a very nice place to be!

How is the driving position visibility and on fast sharp turns how does it handle?
Thanks,
Dave
 D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey "The Rhino" (our NYC D3)
De-tangoed Headlights, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille, D4 19" Wheels/ Bridgestone Alenza
D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille (our LA D3)
D2 1999 V8 SD7 Chawton White (our Caribbean Beach truck) 

Post #179352319th Mar 2017 3:51 pm
Robse

United Kingdom 

And what did you drive before ?
 Velar MY18 D180 S Narvik
Discovery MY2015 3.0 SDV6 SE Corris - Gone 

Post #179354919th Mar 2017 5:13 pm
S2bear

United Kingdom 

The Discovery 5 rolls in the tight hairpins on mountain roads, quite a bit, but there is plenty of grip and it never feels like it's going to let go. Motorway driving is really quiet, comfortable and on fast motorway bends it's pretty well composed and surprisingly level. I still found it ok to pop the gearbox into 'S' and launch it out of the odd slip road on the way down here but it doesn't do hooligan. There's no jitteriness in the ride even on 22s and winter corroded tarmac, everything seems pretty well absorbed. It has a real quality feel to the ride. I previously drove a '13 VW Touareg R-Line (everyone coughing as I pass) with air suspension which had 3 settings: Sport/Normal/Comfort. I couldn't fault the Toureg and it could be thrown around a fair bit more than the Disco but you find yourself adjusting your driving style pretty quickly - it's just different. The discovery 5 rides better on 22s than the Touareg did on 20s in 'comfort' setting. I don't think anyone switching from a D3 or 4 to a 5 could be anything but pleased - I drove a D3 to Switzerland and got there just as quick as anything else but we were all way more relaxed. It far exceeded my expectations and the D5 has so much more of the same good stuff, it's a class act. For the record/ comparison, before the Touareg I've owned and/or driven to the alps in a Panda 4x4 twin air, X6, X5, Disco3, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Chevy Tahoe, Ford Explorer. This Disco5 is top slot followed by the Touareg and D3 equal. Is it worth the £22k more than I paid for the Touareg? I don't know. It's a lot of money and hopefully one gets a chunk of it back at the other end. By the way, if anyone cares, the Panda was amazing, but we were slightly deaf by the time we reached Italy. I almost forgot, the driving position is excellent in terms of comfort and gives the usual commanding view, more so than anything previous but not sure vs D3 as I can't remember any difference in height - seems very similar to me. Visibility backwards isn't amazing - if for example you're coming out of an oblique turning and having to look back over your shoulder, but I'll reserve judgment as this may seem worse because I've only really driven it (RHD) in France. The in car tech is average I'd say. There's not much wrong with it on paper but the Germans are streets ahead and the LR in control apps thing is a bit gimicky IMO - it won't always connect and seems to have plenty of stuff you don't really want, they've fitted a wireless hotspot but its 3G not 4G which doesn't really bother me a great deal but it's 2017 and a Vauxhall Corsa has 4G so I wish they'd stop wittering on about that and the remote seat fold with your phone thing. (Seriously, have you seen the ad with the bloke folding the seats of his Disco from his office when he should be working!?!) Apple/Android CarPlay would have been a welcome option, there is an app called 'Just Drive' which I've read is a half decent substitute for CarPlay so I downloaded it and the screen said it wasn't available for the Discovery yet so we'll have to wait. The Sat Nav, whilst I'm sure is more advanced than previous models is pretty poor, sorry. Yes, I can use my phone to plan a route and send it to the car (Other manufacturers had that in 2008) but it's no good if it insists on sending me via mountain passes that are closed in winter and does not give ANY other alternative routes - nearly all other satnavs seem to give you a choice of 3 routes, this gives just one and in this instance it's wrong/impossible. Please someone tell me if I'm missing a trick here and I'll retract this but it wasn't fit for purpose on my journey out and I had to use TomTom on the phone... which then means you cant have the phone plugged into LR Apps because that takes over the phone screen etc etc. I can't find my *rse in the bath but for the money, it should be better and with an update, it may well become better. The standard (HSE) 380w Meridian HiFi sounds great. Rich, clear and punchy etc. I haven't heard the £1000 optional extra Meridian so can't comment whether it's worth the upgrade. I've always paid up for the optional HiFi's on previous cars and was worried this standard one might sound a bit ordinary, it doesn't and I'd make the same choice again. Despite the tech foibles - I'm happy with my choice of car and I'm looking forward to the drive home, well, sort of. Sorry for the lengthy rambling, hope it's useful not boring. Stu

Post #179369019th Mar 2017 9:33 pm
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Fantastic to read a candid review not through rose tinted glasses . Thank you very interesting to read . Regards
Chris

Post #179371519th Mar 2017 10:52 pm
J77

Scotland 

Incontrol Pro has been causing issues for Jaguar for a while, it's something I'm glad my one doesn't have. As for the sat nav it's something LR just can't seem to master, only 2 of my LRs have had it and both been useless, so at least the D5 won't disappoint Laughing
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #179372619th Mar 2017 11:22 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

cmyers_uk wrote:
Fantastic to read

True ...but paragraphs may have helped my eyes Laughing Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #179372819th Mar 2017 11:25 pm
S2bear

United Kingdom 

Haha, sorryabouttheparagraphs-ItypedonmyipadbutthankfullyIrememberedspaces Very Happy

Post #179373119th Mar 2017 11:36 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nice report. Thumbs Up I've never ordered manufacturers sat nav in any car because after market ones are so much better. I know just use google maps. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #179373319th Mar 2017 11:41 pm
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

YES
is fantastic to read,. Thank you very much interesting to read . Regards
 lost in translation!  
Post #179373819th Mar 2017 11:58 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Surprised that you aren't registered on the D5 forum with your views Whistle Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #179374520th Mar 2017 12:18 am
fisherman

Wales 

Excellent write up, really enjoyed reading the same line over and over. Went back to my school days and got a ruler. I always go for the top spec car because I love the toys but I'm thinking about dropping the huge spec and getting something that more suits my needs. An HSE with the tow stuff should be fine if I spec cubby fridge, LED lights and opening roof. I don't really need alot of the tech (I like the sound of it but it also sounds like grief) but Sat Nav seems to be space taken up where your Tom Tom could go. I'm glad the Meridian system is good in un upgraded form, saves a grand for something else. My Mrs wants the autonomous stuff coz I'm an old duffer who is very likely to fall asleep at the wheel. Nice that she has confidence in me. She also likes the Velar but wants 7 seats, RRS with 7 seats is pretty rare secondhand so it really leaves the D5 or even a Volvo. Not sure about the Volvo as the engines are miniscule for towing my 2.5 tonne caravan. decisions decisions.
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #179379020th Mar 2017 8:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >