Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Warranty / Assistance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Vanguard

United Kingdom 
Warranty / Assistance

Apologies if this has been covered before but am just coming up to the end of the 3 years and am planning on keeping the car as it has been mercifully trouble free - just about! (Am also touching wood as I am writing this)

Debate is whether to take out a year's warranty with LR, including assistance, as £1k can buy quite a few repairs in a year or look for alternatives on the open market or maybe not even bother with the warranty and take a chance. Anyone have any opinions as to using anything other than LR products?

Cheers

Post #22292610th Nov 2007 6:57 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You are not alone! lots of us are thinking about this too. My choice is to take my chances. My car has been pretty good, and most of the bits I have had replaced under manufacturers warranty would be excluded as wear and tear items in the extended. (bushes, ball joints etc).

I getting mine MOT tested soon, which should reveal any immediate problems before the warranty goes west.

Post #22293010th Nov 2007 7:27 pm
Vanguard

United Kingdom 

Thanks. Good tip about the MOT; must get that booked in December sometime. My gut feel is to get a good breakdown / assistance package either LR or maybe Britannia and take a chance on the warranty but will keep watching for views on here.

Post #22293510th Nov 2007 7:36 pm
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

I have extended the Land Rover Assist cover on my 1996 TDi300 90 for the last 6 years, but it isn't a cheap option!
 Now a disillusioned new Land Rover buyer and have jumped ship to something less expensive and more reliable that hugs trees.... now driving a Mini Countryman PHEV as well as my trusty and brilliant 1996 Epsom Green Defender90 Tdi300  
Post #22295010th Nov 2007 9:11 pm
Reggieb

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Same problem here, it runs out mid Dec, quoted 1.1K without assistance as you say that pays for a lot of repairs (assuming nothing major Whistle ) and a lot of things are not covered by the extended version. I'm booking up my 45K service at the end of this month along with the MOT to highlight any probs and making a list of any niggles to hand in at the service. I get the feeling that there are a fair number of us with our fingers crossed soon. Whistle
 TDV6 HSE - Light Guards - White Reflective Sticker
Club--Engel
Club--Satnav on the move (Thanks Pete)
Club--Kumho KL71 (265/70 17) they kick!
Club--Three Musketeers
Club--GNVP Sump Guard (The nuts)
Disco3Club
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. 

Post #22298310th Nov 2007 11:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NICKNICK

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My three years is up in June and I too have wondered about extending warranty. A colleague at work has a policy with Warranty Direct (on a Megane) although has not claimed on it yet. She got the cover as her "electrics" had failed twice whilst under manufactuers warranty, she said the standard policy from Warranty Direct did not cover electrics on a megane and she had to take out additional cover.

I have just got a quote online from them for £577.29. The cover seems to extend to most things including electrics.

Has anyone had any dealings with them, good or bad?
 I used to hate 4x4's now I'm not so sure...  
Post #22341612th Nov 2007 3:23 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

Extended LR Assist for 4yrs after the warranty expired on my D2 - when the top hose went it paid for itself in my book as the LR Assist guy that turned up actually had a D2 top hose in the wagon - try getting that with any other breakdown cover, you'll get a vanload of Mondeo bits IMHO....

Also still have a Warranty Direct policy running on our eldests 1.8 Freelander, paid 70% of the main dealer cost of head gasket when that went (well outside warranty), have had the car for another 2yrs with no problems. WD seemed quite straightforward but with all these policies watch for the exclusions (oil etc)....
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #22342212th Nov 2007 3:42 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

FWIW I had a Warranty direct policy on my TD5. Would never do it again. Despite getting excellent reviews from various papers, I had a major battle getting money out of them, and they were a total pain. I think they're probably OK if you've got a Mondeo or a standard car, but there are just too many thing on a LR that aren't covered by them. Also, there are clauses about claims in the first three months, and they cover a decreasing percentage of repair cost at certain mileages.

My local LR dealer (apart from being a bit of a pain in other issues) really were excellent and did loads of running around trying to get money out of them, dealing with their mechanics on their helpline.

If I was to go with one again, it would only be a LR one. Despite issues with wear and tear, I think that LRs are too complex to be covered by a general poiicy, even if they do mention 4x4 mechanisms. The benefit of a genuine LR one to me would be the fact that I didn't need to do all the 'to-ing and fro-ing' sorting out the claims - which isn't easy if you don't know a huge amount about mechanics, and the guy in the WD line knows more than you.

Note also one of the exclusions:

"4. Vehicles that are or have been used for:

• vehicles that are used off-road. "
Confused

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #22342912th Nov 2007 4:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: