Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Loss of throttle input
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
VVS210

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Loss of throttle input

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I did a search this morning but couldn't see anything that reflected what I am experiencing.

Car is a 2010 D4.

Over the last 4-6 months I have started experiencing a loss of throttle input, i.e. when pressing the pedal nothing happens. Initially this was very occasional but happened typically when I had throttled off to approach a roundabout on a dual carriageway & was then applying throttle to carry on. Typically coming off throttle at around 50mph, slowing to 30mph then trying to accelerate away - there was nothing.

Then started to notice that occasionally when pulling away from stand still I pressed the pedal & there was a very noticeable delay when the revs didn't climb.

Now the problem seems to be getting more frequent, pretty much every day I drive the car it will happen at some point.

Driving home last night it happened in a scenario it has not done before. On a dual carriageway doing about 50mph, sudden loss of power, speed dropped then picked up again.

I have been able to look at the instrument panel & there are no warning lights or messages that come up and the Rev counter doesn't go up as the pedal is pressed so the engine is not responding to the throttle input.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms & had them successfully diagnosed?

Does anyone know if these symptoms will generate a fault code that the dealer can use to trace the fault & repair?

Thanks.
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
D2 V8 - Zambesi Silver (rust free JDM import 😎)
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
110 Td5 DCPU - Bonatti Grey - sold
FL2 Td4 - Zambesi Silver - sold
D2 Td5 - Epsom Green - sold
F1 Td4 - Giverney Green - sold
90 300 Tdi - White – sold BIG mistake should have kept it!
F1 Td4 - written off by a taxi!
D1 300 Tdi - written off by a Fiesta...
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold
Ser 2a SWB - sold and glad I 'got rid'
Ser 2 SWB - sold but wish I still had it! 

Post #181548516th May 2017 7:12 am
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

This will sound daft but.....

A tiny brush of the brake with the side of your shoe when moving back to the accelerator at a junction where you do not stop is enough to make the car think you are braking and accelerating at the same time. This results in a 2-3 second complete loss of all power.

Even the minutest brush of the brake pedal whilst your foot is also on the accelerator can cause the symptoms that you describe. Early D4s seem more susceptible to it than later ones (in my 2016 I have actually tried to replicate it and it is almost impossible even if you intentionally brake and accelerate simultaneously)

In my 2010 it drove me mad for a while because it did exactly as you describe, when I pulled up to a junction and slowed by braking then moved back to the accelerator without actually stopping I would momentarily loose power. I couldn’t understand the pattern of when it did it and when it didn’t until I realised it depended on which boots I was wearing at the time and one particular pair has a very wide sole!

Just worth a check – does it always happen when you have the same shoes on? Try and very deliberately lift your foot from the brake and onto the accelerator rather than sliding across from the one pedal to the other.

Finally have a go (where safe to do so and at low speed) at just gently touching the brake with your left foot while you are gently accelerating with your right. Does the resulting response match the symptoms you are experiencing?

Of course you could genuinely have a fault for which I’m afraid I can’t help. But take it from someone who thought they had a fault for ages and then discovered that it was footwear that was the problem, that it is a possibility.

Post #181555416th May 2017 11:09 am
VVS210

Thanks - that has got me thinking... my early thoughts were that I was trying to accelerate by pressing my foot on the footwell panel hence stopping the accelerator going down.

I will try the accelerator & brake test on my way home later tonight to see if it replicates the problem.
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold

Post #181556816th May 2017 11:46 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Discoteca ... exactly what I suggested here http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic159955.html

If it's a safety feature - as I was told - not sure why my new D4 doesn't have it. I can stand hard on the brakes with left foot and still get the accelerator to work.

perhaps it's been re-mapped or something ?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #181557116th May 2017 11:51 am
VVS210

OK so driving home last night I tried to replicate the effect by juggling brake & accelerator with no success.

Today I took more notice of what was going on when I tried pulling away & the revs do build very slightly but then the pick up is slow before the gearbox seems to 'catch up'.

Also noticed that gear changes sometimes seem a little harsh, both changing up and changing down.

Not familiar with auto gearboxes so apologies if this is a bone question, but with 91k miles on it, could this be an indication of the gearbox being on the way out?
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold

Post #181623917th May 2017 10:02 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

For the sake of a tenner or so I would fit a new brake light switch, this switch operates more than the brake lights Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #181625018th May 2017 5:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >