Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Extended Mode when dropping height
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Extended Mode when dropping height

Hi guys, been trying to solve this one without success lately.

I've recently had a few suspension issues, ranging from having the light on with "frequent changes in the up/down direction" codes to having issues dropping from Offroad to Normal without going into extended. One of the faults which threw the light on was "front right height sensor". So I happily replaced that, thinking it was the root of all this. Well, it sorted out the faults, I haven't had the light on again since then (around 1 month ago). However, the issues dropping from Offroad to Normal persists.

Once I hit the switch, i see the front start to drop but the rear remains up, which I have always noticed since day 1, front drops before rear. However, just as soon as the front reaches normal height and the rear should start dropping, it bongs and goes into extended mode. If I hit the "down" switch immediately after it bongs (i.e. don't give it time to raise), then it settles happily into Normal height without issues.

It doesn't seem like it has issues dropping. Could it be taking too long to drop, causing something to time out? Like "if normal height not reached within 3 seconds, assume it bottomed out"? In that case, what could cause it to drop too slowly?

I tried monitoring live values with my IID Tool, but since it's not the BT version I need to use the LCD screen on the car, but when I hit the down switch the "Normal Height selected" message takes over the screen at the most important time... when I really want to watch the heights drop Censored

PS. The car is raised 35mm over stock (via the IID Tool due to bigger tyres), and admittedly hasn't been calibrated in a few years, even after the height sensor change. Will be calibrating the suspension but I somehow doubt it's causing the issue.

Any ideas?
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #181592117th May 2017 8:11 am
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The "Frequent changes in the Up/Down" direction faults have returned. No other faults. Just C1130 and C112F. It was all quiet (no faults) for whole month since i replaced the front right sensor, apart from the extended mode problem mentioned above.

Yesterday I had to get into access height to get into my mum's garage and amazingly enough it didn't go to extended mode (I was surprised!), but once I got back up to normal height on the drive back home I got the C1130 and C112F faults again.

Thinking of going all out and replacing all sensors.
Any ideas?
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #182940122nd Jun 2017 12:51 pm
Mole734

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

There is a pc interface with the non BT IID tool that would allow you to see the heights without being interrupted by the fault message.
It does sound similar to a problem I had which turned out to be a sticking sensor but I replaced it to be sure

Post #182941322nd Jun 2017 1:19 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Vehicle thinks it is grounded.

I had it do it on mine and turned out to be a stuffed lower control arm bush.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #183025025th Jun 2017 7:57 am
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mine kept going into extended mode if i dropped it plus intermittent warning lights/messages, i solved it by servicing the dryer on the compressor.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #183026925th Jun 2017 9:36 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >