Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Question for those knowledgable re Oil Filter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CarlW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Question for those knowledgable re Oil Filter

Following the 1st service by my LR main dealer I've got a problem with the oil level indicated on the dash display moving from 'not available' to 'ok' to 'overfilled'. This process is 100% consistent and happens every time the engine is stopped. It takes say 6 hours when the engine is stopped hot and say 18 hours when the engine is run for a short time when cold

So far my dealer has had two attempts to resolve the problem, the 1st was the removal of a claimed 0.5l of oil and the 2nd attempt was the replacement of the oil level sensor. The problem is still exactly as it was immediately after the service

Due to the consistency of the change of indication I find it hard to see how this can be a wiring, sensor or software fault - It seems to me that the oil level is being measured/displayed correctly and is increasing over time.

Looking at photos on this site the oil filter housing is on the top of the engine with the oil entering and leaving the housing from below.

Now to my questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming that the design is such that the oil filter and housing should remain full of oil when the engine is stopped (surely an empty oil filter would delay the achievement of operational oil pressure when the engine is started).

2. Could an incorrectly fitted filter cause the oil to drain out of the filter housing over time - thus increasing the oil level in the sump?

3. Is there a 'non-return' valve somewhere in the oil system that could have been damaged during the service?

4. Has anyone any other thoughts on what could cause the indicated oil level to increase over a period of 6-24hrs of stopping the engine - every time it is stopped!
 Disco 4 Landmark
Mercedes Benz SLK CDi
BMW 335D Touring
Defender XS SW 2010 - gone
TDV8 2008 RRS - gone
Disco 3 HSE 2005 - gone
BMW R1150GS 

Post #181624418th May 2017 12:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >