Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Gearbox - gearchange more noticeable recently
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DrRick

Scotland 
Gearbox - gearchange more noticeable recently

So we have a 61-plate Approved Used D4 HSE with just over 61k miles, full service history. My wife drives is most days, relatively short distances but occasional longer distances for visiting family.

Beginning of last week, we had the lower front arms replaced as the bushes were going soft. Completely independent, but just a fact that the car has been in a workshop in the past few weeks.

Recently, my wife has commented that the gearchange between the first few gears is not butter smooth. Her exact words are 'mildly kangarooing' and that 'you feel the revs drop at the gear change a lot more than before'.

Now, despite being Approved Used and full history, I can almost guarantee that whatever is 'broken' / needs fixing won't be covered. However, I'd value opinions as to what people think could cause the gearbox change in feel, and what would be a sensible approach next (other than get it to an indie to investigate, which I may do, but comment here is free).
 Dr Rick  
Post #181627318th May 2017 8:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sagecaster

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

I had terrible trouble after installation of a new gearbox under warranty last year. Its a long story, but eventually we managed to get the issue resolved, software updates and resets were applied several times. It transpired we had an intermittent electrical connection fault which caused all sorts of havoc with the software in relation to the gearbox/engine calibration, drivability was challenging to say the least! I suspect a reset will be your starting point.

Post #181630918th May 2017 11:10 am
DrRick

Scotland 

Do the gearboxes have any sort of 'learning' capability?

Reason being I drive a 400bhp saloon car and my wife has the D4. Clearly different beasts and if I've been driving the D4 more recently will the gearbox have started to adapt to my style over hers?
 Dr Rick  
Post #181632818th May 2017 12:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dlgis

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Did the kangarooing correct itself after a period? If so there was a discussion on this a while back. My conclusion was that it was dpf flush related. Every now and again i'd get the kangarooing which would clear after about 15-20 miles. Only noticeable on windy b roads where there's a lot of gear changing going on. Seems to be more prevalent on 12MY cars and those that are Indus silver Laughing so perhaps the software was amended on later models. Confused
 D4 GS 12MY  
Post #181639618th May 2017 4:15 pm
sagecaster

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

DrRick wrote:
Do the gearboxes have any sort of 'learning' capability?

Reason being I drive a 400bhp saloon car and my wife has the D4. Clearly different beasts and if I've been driving the D4 more recently will the gearbox have started to adapt to my style over hers?

Yes, the engine/gearbox learns and adjusts to driving style. My wife and I drive ours equally, we have very different driving styles and have never had an issue. However when we encountered the electrical problem which caused the gear changes to start to lag, the system could not correct itself. I think this is probably because you start to anticipate the gear change lag when driving which further exacerbates the problem. We had to go back to the dealer for a reset, and this was with the latest software update.

Post #181763522nd May 2017 9:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >