Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Air Suspension will not stay level across the rear axle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Yup, It's driving me mad! Banging Head

I had wonder if something mechanical failed or moved when jacking to do the brakes. The reason I suspect this might be the case rather than the air suspension is because if I deflate the whole system & drop the car to the stops it still looks like it's listing. However, I cannot see any visual signs of worn bushes failed components. Nothing thumps or clunks when driven like you would often get with a bush failure.

For the time being I've resolved the visual appearance of the problem by calibrating it again this morning, then raising & lowering, & the calibrating just the nearside front & rear again but increasing the measured height from 466 to 276 & 485 to 495. It seem to be accepting this now & looks level but I think it just hiding the problem rather than fixing it.

I don't recall it listing before i worked on the brakes as I tend to notice these things, but it may have been. My personal opinion is something changed / failed / moved when I was jacking the car. I just need to establish what

Cheers Thumbs Up
 MY16 D4 Landmark SDV6 (The Ice Maiden)
Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
MY08 D3 HSE Stornoway (Miss Moneypit) The money tree withered...... 

Post #18446396th Aug 2017 5:28 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hi mate

good to hear you've made some progress with it and at least is better than what is was

wonder when u done the brakes if it's possible for the bushes to move under the force of the struts

weird though that as you've done all the brakes that it's just one side

have u looked on ur iid to see what the pressure ur compressor is running at

ref ur height adjuster rods , can they be adjusted , i.e. longer and shorter or are they just a fixed height

wish i had more knowledge regarding this systems , just been trying to rack my brains of why it's listing

don't worry will keep thinking Thumbs Up

ref when u drop it to the stops trying to think how u can take some measurements all round , to establish if the wishbones have indeed moved

nothing like a challenge , lol

shame u wernt nearer as i would have been more than happy to have helped, well tried anyway , Bow down

Post #18446546th Aug 2017 6:00 pm
gstuart

had a ponder

if a 4 x wheel alignment is done, can that adjust the height , ????

did u do a hard reset after fitting the new height adjusters

would it be worth pulling the fuse F26 over a 24 hour period to prove the struts are sound and no air leak is present

just thinking of ways to eliminate things off a list so to speak

i.e. so that as things are written down in list form know what's been replaced or tried , that way making progress

LIST

1/ height adjusters all 4 x replaced / have the part numbers been checked to ensure correct installation placement , haven't been fitted in wrong place

2/ Tyre pressures taken , i.e. front ? / rear ?

3 / wishbone heights

etc, etc , yeh i know i need to get out more Laughing

will find out the solution one way or another Thumbs Up

Post #18446646th Aug 2017 6:32 pm
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi gstuart,

Struggling for time a bit at the moment, i'll have to look in detail again at the weekend.

The height adjuster rod are kinda stiff rubber. They aren't adjustable. The fit to a fix point on the strut, then the control arm links to the adjuster which is fixed to the body.

I'll have to check the compressor pressure at the weekend.

Not sure on 4 wheel alignment changing height. It did have a 4 wheel alignment about 2K ago. The listing issue wasn't present either before or after the alignment.

The height adjusters were replace as a result of the listing. They are installed in the correct locations as I had to double check given the earlier one were colour coded for location (black & grey) & now they supply a chart with product code & location if you buy a set of 4.

I need to check the wishbone heights at the weekend.

Really appreciate the time you are taking on this!

I'll be back at the weekend with the missing info!

Cheers

Skagg

Post #18450177th Aug 2017 8:21 pm
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Did you have the suspension recalibrated following installation of the new sensors. This is highlighted in the work shop manual i.e. CAUTION: Height suspension calibration, using T4, must always be carried out if the suspension height sensor fixings are removed. If not then that's why your car is lopsided.

Post #18450697th Aug 2017 11:37 pm
gstuart

Skagg wrote:
Hi gstuart,

Struggling for time a bit at the moment, i'll have to look in detail again at the weekend.

The height adjuster rod are kinda stiff rubber. They aren't adjustable. The fit to a fix point on the strut, then the control arm links to the adjuster which is fixed to the body.

I'll have to check the compressor pressure at the weekend.

Not sure on 4 wheel alignment changing height. It did have a 4 wheel alignment about 2K ago. The listing issue wasn't present either before or after the alignment.

The height adjusters were replace as a result of the listing. They are installed in the correct locations as I had to double check given the earlier one were colour coded for location (black & grey) & now they supply a chart with product code & location if you buy a set of 4.

I need to check the wishbone heights at the weekend.

Really appreciate the time you are taking on this!

I'll be back at the weekend with the missing info!

Cheers

Skagg

hi mate

aplogises me keeping asking questions, lol

when u get time would it be worth pulling that fuse over night to rule that out any leaks

will be interesting to also see what the wishbone heights are

have a good week and look forward to the results

Post #18450707th Aug 2017 11:45 pm
gstuart

Alphamale wrote:
Did you have the suspension recalibrated following installation of the new sensors. This is highlighted in the work shop manual i.e. CAUTION: Height suspension calibration, using T4, must always be carried out if the suspension height sensor fixings are removed. If not then that's why your car is lopsided.

hi , he has indeed , done with his own iid

466mm front
485mm rear

just this listing to the near side , even if it's in access mode

only things i can think of

1)possibly an air leak ??
2 if the wishbone heights may have gone out of adjustment ??

Post #18450717th Aug 2017 11:49 pm
Alphamale

Recalibration (proper) recalibration need to be done with T4 and the correct calibration equipment as detailed in the workshop manual

Post #18450748th Aug 2017 12:27 am
gstuart

Hi alpha

aplogises , reading through the post it was indeed done with a T4

good to know and learn something new and didn't realise the iid couldn't be used after new height sensors were fitted

wonder if the garage done it right ??

also see in reading ur post that height calibration via a T4 should also be done when replacing upper wishbones

so if i'm understand it right , the height sensors need to be calibrated to give the 3 x settings, i.e. access, normal and off road

then the iid is used to set up the normal suspension height

nothing like getting confused, lol

Post #18450758th Aug 2017 12:38 am
Alphamale

Yes, as the manual describes it it's not a quick check to see that each strut is at the same level and that's it. Each corner is setup individually using the measuring tools, to get the 3 levels and store the data in the ECU. What T4 does is control the process, guiding the mechanic through each measurement in turn so it's done in the correct sequence.

Post #18451558th Aug 2017 10:41 am
gstuart

many thks for the explanation, makes more sense now, as i wondered how the 3 x levels were stored, so now understand of the T4 setting them levels , : Thumbs Up

do u happen to know if it's very expensive to get it done via a dealer plse

thks again Thumbs Up

Post #18451688th Aug 2017 10:58 am
Skagg

Thanks for the replies gents & welcome to the conversation Alphamale Smile

Now you have me thinking because the indy that "re calibrated" the suspension after I replaced the height sensors certainly didn't have those measurement tools shown in the workshop manual!

However, the sensors were replaced because the car was lopsided beforehand. A quick recap, Car was fine, I replaced the brakes & disc & then noted after doing so the car was lopsided. No obvious visual sign of damage or movement to anything. Changed the sensors & re calibrated. Still lopsided, though less so.

I need to read up on where & how to measure the wishbone to check this & i will pull the fuse for 24 hrs at the weekend to eliminate this, though i don't think it's a leak problem as the car doesn't change in height whilst sat on the drive all week.

I note in your extract of the manual it says to use the T4 if the height sensor fixings are removed not the height sensor itself?

Sounds like i'll have to give my dealer a call after all & get them to take a look just to satisfy myself it's been done properly Thumbs Up

Post #18452298th Aug 2017 2:36 pm
gstuart

hi skagg

aplogises concerning the recalibration of the height sensors, i wasn't aware of that and good that Alpha brought that up , learned something new , Laughing

now having that knowledge i wonder if ur able to get a rough idea in measuring the wishbones to the floor , suppose it may give u an indication if there out, or simply not possible without the T4

suppose in once sense of making some progress

Alpha sounds considerably more experienced than me , so maybe can see something evident of why it's leaning

plse let us know how u get on Thumbs Up

Post #18452368th Aug 2017 3:03 pm
gstuart

Alphamale wrote:
Yes, as the manual describes it it's not a quick check to see that each strut is at the same level and that's it. Each corner is setup individually using the measuring tools, to get the 3 levels and store the data in the ECU. What T4 does is control the process, guiding the mechanic through each measurement in turn so it's done in the correct sequence.

out of curiosity have u seen rsw software

http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php/comp...cle?id=540

Post #18452378th Aug 2017 3:05 pm
PatGAPInnov
Site Sponsor 

Canada 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Hi Everyone

Quote:
Recalibration (proper) recalibration need to be done with T4 and the correct calibration equipment as detailed in the workshop manual
Actually, the IIDTool is capable of calibrating the height sensors and this was implemented a few years back. Last year, we've added the Guided calibration which makes it much easier and precise (and simpler) then what SDD provides. The limitations required by SDD (very flat surface, etc.) are not necessary when using the guided calibration since the tool compensates for these tolerances.

If you have done the calibration properly with your IIDTool without trying to cheat the numbers, you can take the sensor calibration out of the equation.

Next would be to log the height sensor behaviour: Menu--Live Values--Suspension--Current height, drive it for a while and look for any glitches or funny things. Wiring issues can give false reading and similar symptoms. If there's no glitch and a corner is always lower, suspect a mechanical problem.

Keep in mind that the suspension ECU tolerates a +/- 10mm error in regards to the target height and does an average for each axle. In other words, the vehicle will never be perfectly levelled due to mechanical tolerances and surface, else it would work very hard... I do, however, agree, yours is crooked and needs addressing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
 http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/

Post #18452558th Aug 2017 3:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >