Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

An Aussie view of the Daily Mail
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Fascinating insight on Paul Dacre .....WARNING: Very Strong Language - NSFW OR Family

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n11/andrew-ohagan/whos-the-real- Censored

Post #18225944th Jun 2017 9:24 pm
Florafauna

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Ive been out for a nice evening but notice that none of the DM fans here have actually presented any arguments to refute my (and others) assertions. eg.

DM did support Hitler in the 30's
It does spout similar populist xenophobic rubbish today

It did 'hint' that those judges deserved to be shot (a la Stalin and his use of 'enemies of the people').

I would welcome some rational arguments supporting the Daily Mail - if there are any...

I judge people as I find them but if you believe the misinformation spouted by the Daily Mail and to a lesser extent the Mirror, then I can only make assumptions about you.

Just try - for a laugh - investigating some of the Mails xenophobic/racist rantings. Try and establish what actually happened.
If you are a DM evangelist, you might be surprised at how different other people see the world and how the Daily Mail twists selected facts to fit its own agenda.

Go on - you might learn something.

Night.

Wink
 MegaSTUPID BREXIT
D4 XS MY12 Orkney Grey - nice!
996 turbo cab - a dream come true
VXR220 - Epic Track Car
D2 - V8 - Agricultural bankruptcy but what fun! - Long gone but missed 

Post #18226364th Jun 2017 11:02 pm
Farmer Col

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I think the editorial staff have probably changed since the 1930s. I don't see how you can hold a grudge against a newspaper for something they may have printed 80 years ago.
Regarding the ' enemies of the people ' I don't think they were actually suggesting the judges should be shot, they were just making the observation that perhaps the court case was somewhat undemocratic, after the nation had voted to leave the EU.

What are these xenophobic/racist rants ?

I assume all anti Daily Mail posters are Remoaners.

Goodnight

Post #18226464th Jun 2017 11:41 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If ever there was a racist /xenophopic rag then the DM is it. Just take a look at Katie Hopkins rant. It looks like it was written for the Trumpists. Rolling Eyes
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #18226495th Jun 2017 12:46 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
An Aussie view of the Daily Mail

Given the original subject.........

It is seen as a pommy comic over here not a serious paper at all.

Quite an entertaining read at times. Thumbs Up

All the media have their biases. Read everything in the context of where you read it.

I tend not to read printed papers much anymore but you know what a particular media outlet will say before you read it.

There are very few journos who make any attempt to be even handed in their writing anymore which is a shame.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #18226535th Jun 2017 2:34 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

To answer the question posed by DM readers "What do you read?", I'd say that I read a cross section of them. While the DM is probably the nastiest, hate filled, ultra right wing, rag out there, there's not one single paper that doesn't seem to clumsily push their own political point of view. While they're worth dipping in and out of, I wouldn't subscribe to any one of them.

The BBC seems to get closest to being a balanced source of news. Although, for anyone reading an extreme left, or right, wing paper, the BBC will usually appear biased in the opposite direction; to anyone reading the DM, it probably seems to be a hotbed of Trotskyite revolutionaries! Laughing

To those that say that the current editors shouldn't be held responsible for those that supported Hitler, you would be absolutely right, if it weren't for the remarkably consistent editorial policy over the last 80 plus years!

Last edited by Red Merle on 5th Jun 2017 5:34 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #18226545th Jun 2017 5:23 am
Pelyma

England 

I read them all, but I don't feel the need to rant and abuse every DM reader. To do so makes you exactly what you're ranting against.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #18226555th Jun 2017 5:33 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

A very close member of my own family started to read the DM about 10 years ago and now speaks like the DM editorial. It's such a shame to see them when they're like this, it makes them pretty stressed and unhappy and I'm upset about what the DM has done.

Post #18226565th Jun 2017 5:40 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Red Merle wrote:
To answer the question posed by DM readers "What do you read?", I'd say that I read a cross section of them. While the DM is probably the nastiest, hate filled, ultra right wing, rag out there, there's not one single paper that doesn't seem to clumsily push their own political point of view. While they're worth dipping in and out of, I wouldn't subscribe to any one of them.

The BBC seems to get closest to being a balanced source of news. Although, for anyone reading an extreme left, or right, wing paper, the BBC will usually appear biased in the opposite direction; to anyone reading the DM, it probably seems to be a hotbed of Trotskyite revolutionaries! Laughing

To those that say that the current editors shouldn't be held responsible for those that supported Hitler, you would be absolutely right, if it weren't for the remarkably consistent editorial policy over the last 80 plus years!

Spot on Thumbs Up

D4 Face lifted
V8 Front brakes
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #18226635th Jun 2017 7:19 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Red Merle wrote:
A very close member of my own family started to read the DM about 10 years ago and now speaks like the DM editorial. It's such a shame to see them when they're like this, it makes them pretty stressed and unhappy and I'm upset about what the DM has done.

My mother is a case in point. She started reading it when she got a new partner about 5 years ago who believes the DM as though its the gospel of truth. Very worrying. Sad

D4 Face lifted
V8 Front brakes
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #18226645th Jun 2017 7:22 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Pelyma wrote:
I read them all, but I don't feel the need to rant and abuse every DM reader. To do so makes you exactly what you're ranting against.

Not sure anyone has abused DM readers so far.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #18226875th Jun 2017 8:36 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Red Merle wrote:

My parents have read the DM for years so I've read it at times. My father recently started buying the The Times too. His reason is that it is a left wing paper so they get a balanced view of the world!
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #18227055th Jun 2017 10:11 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Not sure anyone has abused DM readers so far. Said RRSTDV8. That would be other than this ridiculous comment on first page perhaps...... Rolling Eyes

Florafauna wrote:
Whenever I see someone reading the Daily Mail, I think - "yep, that person would be likely to have voted for that pleasant, sensible Mr Hitler, had they been living in Germany in the early 30's" Very Happy Shocked

Post #18227265th Jun 2017 11:57 am
Pelyma

England 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Pelyma wrote:

Not sure anyone has abused DM readers so far.

Try

Quote:
Whenever I see someone reading the Daily Mail, I think - "yep, that person would be likely to have voted for that pleasant, sensible Mr Hitler, had they been living in Germany in the early 30's"
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #18227275th Jun 2017 11:58 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Fair enough, must have missed that. He has a point - some probably would have voted for Hitler: they have a large readership so some are likely to fit in to that group. I'd not go so far as to say any given reader was likely to have voted that way, however, as was suggested in that post.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #18228245th Jun 2017 3:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >