DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

No Ignition live to pin 2(blue) 12S socket
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Roverrog32

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
No Ignition live to pin 2(blue) 12S socket

Evening all,

I have done a bit of searching on here, and although there is lots of useful information regarding towing electrics, I cant seem to find the answer to my predicament Embarassed

Hopefully someone can help me as Ive been puzzling myself about it most of the afternoon trying to figure out the best solution.

I've got an old caravan and we are going away next weekend, I was just checking over the electrics with my multi-meter just to check everything was doing what it was supposed to when the car was running.

Main thing is the fridge is working via pin 6 (red) so that's ideal,

Next I notice when I switch the panel in the caravan over to car battery the volt meter shoots up to ~14v as expected, but this is happening via pin 4 (green) which is permanent live from the car battery.

I don't really know why this is, as it is my understanding that the van shouldn't be live from the car all the time, only really when the car is running so as not to drain the car battery.

That aside, the auxiliary battery is not charging when the car is running. the van is wired for pin 2 (blue) aux battery charging, which all seems right, but i dont seem to be getting live from pin 2 when the car is started...?

Is there a fault with the car or is there some sort of sensing/charging relay in the D3 that is stopping this pin becoming live?

I did think as an alternative to put a relay from pin 4 (green) inside the van to charge the aux battery (thus bypassing the blue charging wire (pin 2) that is currently set up)

I cant find any blown fuses in the Disco relating to the electrics, fuse 8 and another, cant remember now! 10A and 30A I think are both ok.

Are there any wiring gurus that can help me with my long winded question?! Rolling Eyes

TIA

Rog

Post #18226104th Jun 2017 9:03 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Pin 4 is a permanent live supply , and not switched. There are two sets of connections for a 12S depending on age of Caravan See https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022790/towbar-wiring-mo.pdf. The D3 will be set up for latest and charging is not through pin 2 but 4

Post #18226474th Jun 2017 11:01 pm
Roverrog32

Hi, and thanks for.your reply,

I don't mind changing the electrics in the van to suit, I just found it strange that there was no live to pin 2. I'm assuming this pin is obsolete so to speak for the new style wiring that relys on pin 4 for charging leisure batteries.

As my van is older it doesn't have a habitation relay so I need to install a split charge relay from pin 4 to charge the aux battery? So I don't run the car battery flat?

Rog

Post #18226835th Jun 2017 7:22 am
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

Pin 2 did become obsolete when they changed the wiring in the vans in 1998.

As you say you could modify the van wiring and effectively add a habitation relay so that it is triggered by the fridge feed so that the van battery gets charged when the car engine is running. If you do change the van wiring you should also add the separate earth on the 12s plug that was also introduced at the same time.

Post #18229425th Jun 2017 6:14 pm
Roverrog32

Brilliant, thanks for your reply, that's the route I'm going to take I think Thumbs Up

Rog

Post #18231956th Jun 2017 9:22 am
Skynet

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I followed this issue too, unaware of the pin 2 change. I found the switched live relay behind the tow fuse block was missing. I've added a switch in the line to use it again.
 Dave
D3 2006 HSE, Cairns Blue - gone
D4 2016 SE, White

Wessex 4x4 Response
http://www.wessex4x4response.org.uk/ 

Post #18231996th Jun 2017 9:34 am
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

Roverrog32 wrote:
Brilliant, thanks for your reply, that's the route I'm going to take I think Thumbs Up

Rog

No problem, post back here if you get stuck. Might be worth seeing if you can find a post 1998 wiring diagram for which ever van you have as that may help with you modification.

Post #18234206th Jun 2017 5:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >