Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

one law for one ,one law for another
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Many moons ago my dad was a copper, he often told me if they wanted to get home quick it was on with the blues Mr. Green

Post #18232596th Jun 2017 12:42 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I'd be concerned if the police (or ambulance, fire etc) didn't use double yellow lines in preference to a longer walk from regular parking. They are on duty, on call and with a public that expects them to be able to respond as fast as possible.

We have other members of society who would be disadvantaged by parking further away; they too can park on double yellow lines. You could say that the law is applied quite equally for those with a genuine need to depart from normal rules.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #18232676th Jun 2017 12:57 pm
gyislander

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Excellent point Robbie. I've been in these shoes, its very easy to judge and whilst there is a possibility the guy was simply a lazy Censored there are loads of feasible explanations too. Your point is spot on, lots of people like to moan about the police but the second they need them they want and expect them. Police often don't have the luxury of set meal times and have to grab what they can when they can, being available to the public is always the priority. When the public call would the public mind if he was an important minute late because he had to run to get his van out the carpark first ? In this post who can say who or what might have been in the van that needed to be kept in close proximity ?

In my time I've seen facebook and other daft posts moaning about cops going to MacDonalds, sitting in their car with a can of juice and such like ..... what do people expect .... starvation ?

Post #18232896th Jun 2017 1:48 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

I'd be astounded if a Cop parked on double yellow lines to do a shop. That in itself is hardly duty. In is day and age I am sure they can work round their working times. They could respond a lot faster if they weren't hovering over the knock down bargain shelf!

Post #18233036th Jun 2017 2:42 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Rolling Eyes
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #18233246th Jun 2017 3:48 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Lost for Words wrote:

It's an argument for recognising the difference between law and statute/legislation. The key being that the law, is not what is made up by politicians or bureaucrats, nor judges, but the reasonable expectations of the populus at large - as such it is about real needs and relevance rather than made up rules. The legislation, on the other hand, is just the legislature's interpretation of what is already the law of the land. If there is the general agreement and expectation that a certain bending of the rules is acceptable and not posing any issue, then that is in fact the law, and what is written on the vellum is not. Thumbs Up

Pish. Try that line when in the dock and see where it gets you. "I've asked loads of people I know and they all think I didn't do anything wrong so you can't touch me, Your Honour".

The law is what is written in legislation along with the judgements handed down by the higher courts in interpreting that legislation. This combination of legislation and interpretation/ precedent is the law. What the general public thinks doesn't matter. If there is sufficient public noise then politicians may well change the legislation, as is their way, but until that happens the law is as it is currently written and interpreted.

"[The public] are slaves to the law in order that [they] may be free" to freely quote Cicero.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #18234136th Jun 2017 6:53 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

The Dundonian wrote:
I'd be astounded if a Cop parked on double yellow lines to do a shop. That in itself is hardly duty. In is day and age I am sure they can work round their working times. They could respond a lot faster if they weren't hovering over the knock down bargain shelf!

12 hour shifts with no proscribed food break. Get a grip on your quisling tendencies and do a little research before spouting such utter tripe? Just a suggestion.

Post #18234536th Jun 2017 8:04 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Cops get paid for a full 12 hours or whatever shift they work and as a consequence aren't entitled to a food break. They get 45 mins if duties permit for any shift over 4 hours.

Mine is a point of view, same as yours. Maybe you should do a bit of reading, you sound as if you need it if your resorting to calling differing points of view tripe. Oh, and maybe a spell checker might be in order! Just a suggestion obviously.

Post #18234796th Jun 2017 9:01 pm
maxbasscat

Ukraine 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Wow, someone expresses a view and gets a nuclear strike!

I just ask why is Dundonian so out of line to deserve that retort, so 'no prescribed breaks' does not appear to be a reason not to plan to eat something during working hours. I think I might think ahead and grab a drink and meal when time allowed. I assume doctors, nurses, soldiers other people in the services do so. The observation seems reasonable.

Back on the original thread point, there is no good reason why the cop should park on the hatch he knew it was wrong, he was just lazy and that is why he tried to disguise the issue( his laziness) by consciously using the blue light, a symbol to most if not all he was on an emergency call, incredulous excuses suggest a few on here may have lost or never had a right and wrong compass. It was just plain wrong but there again just my opinion that is what this forum is about, expressing a view.
 D3 2.7 Zermatt silver (not another one)
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
D3 2.7 (gone) Tonga Green
D3 4.4 V8 LHD Tonga Green
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #18234966th Jun 2017 9:51 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Doctors and Nurses are the same as the rest of us, 30 minute break to be taking somewhere near the middle of your shift if possible.

Ambulance crew however have a protected 30 minute break in a proscribed window in the middle of their shift, they can opt not to take any calls once their break starts, if they do opt in they get £20 for a disrupted break and they can only be called for the more urgent calls, they also get the payment if their break is delayed until outside the window.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #18235106th Jun 2017 10:26 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

As raised before ....was the vehicle actually displaying blue lights?? Or did he just park with the red repeaters going....there is a significant difference....

Post #18235166th Jun 2017 10:44 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

And is it really that important? Life is just too short to worry about these things.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #18235216th Jun 2017 11:12 pm
Waylander11

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Ok just to clarify he turned in to an area that is no parking put on his blues got out with two bags went into the shop came back out with two full bags put them into the van , reached into a bag took something out proceeds to eat it turns off blues and then drives off
 D3 in Buckingham blue now SWMBO's Mine D4 commercial
Xenon's fitted Timed climate
EGR Blanked Remapped
Remap Reversing Camera
gear box reset
updated Bluetooth
4x4 info
all done by Bodsy
Fridge fitted
Reversing camera fitted 

Post #18235407th Jun 2017 6:53 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

In those circumstances then he was out of order! Very Happy

Post #18235427th Jun 2017 7:02 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
OK

I / we have been labelled "armchair critics / judges / juries....already being there & answered back on that.
All jobs have "perks"....I can get the stuff we make or process at a bit lower cost...
I guess most jobs or positions either give you something even if it's just insider knowledge.

We all seem to agree that we are all bound by the same rules (the ones so eloquently defined by LFW...maybe).
In pursuit of their job we see police having to drive fast, wrong side of road, through "reds", attending accidents, dealing with more than just law breaking - currently mayhem.
That I commend & respect....I guess we all do.

If parking as has been stated by Waylander is a "perk" ......i.e. He knew he would get away with it & highly unlikely get a ticket - he used the perk.
Hardly the crime of the century. But it does make you think if that a transgression is taken what level does the "buck" stop at. Who decides.

Let's suppose a more senior policeman had driven past & made the Waylander observation.....what could have happened....a reprimand for flouting a rule ? - on the grounds it set a very bad example & chips away at the respect the public have & to some extent the police expect.
Maybe it wouldn't happen as the particular station has a blaise attitude - maybe it would.
The police force has to have disciplines. That are seen.

I have to separate this "misdemeanour" from what we are seeing right now - unbelievable acts of bravery, duty (what we expect), fairness in the face of terror (two things poles apart).
I can't equate a parking thing to running towards an armed jihadist.

To answer (again) those who've said we shouldn't discuss these issues in "the common room" of the site, the forum is more than a vehicle centric discussion area, within bounds a place where opinions can be expressed in written form. Yes there are disagreements - but it's sad that one individual policeman can without his knowing create so much discussion.
Like all organisations the police is made up of individuals that vary - in this case one who publically used a perk. Publically. Setting a bad example....just suppose 15 mins later he would have had to issue a parking ticket or turn the "blind eye" using discretion as he did to himself.

If I'd have been Waylander I wouldn't have "dobbed him in" as has been suggested, an individual's choice, making comments & complaints against the police is (I'm told) an onerous undertaking.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #18235677th Jun 2017 8:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >