jimbg

United Kingdom 

Quote:
But higher prices come at a cost .

That's quite funny, but I know what you mean! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #182536111th Jun 2017 2:16 pm
J77

Scotland 

Don't see how sales can be down, compared to what?

2015-16 the D4 only sold 55,000 or so globally. Out sold by everything other than Fl2 and Defender, only because production had ceased.

High VED and an anti diesel campaign isn't going to do wonders for a car over £40k with a diesel only option.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #182536911th Jun 2017 2:44 pm
maxbasscat

Ukraine 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3
Visit to the LR showroom

Same reaction as my wife DSL ......"the back end is awful and it's more expensive than the white one (RRS) behind it". It was a curt and quick assessment of the car, maybe curb appeal!

It was as certain as that we had a brief look at the interior then we walked on to the FFRR. We mused on RRS and FFRR she likes the FFRR, we did get an invite to the Velar roadshow which unfortunately we missed so there is some potential to review here. My point was financial, to get her interested in the Velar or RRS with the D5 as having an outside position. Personally I do not like the rear 1/4 and back end either but I never normally get such a strong reaction against a car.

I think that LR have got something wrong here. My wife probably like many other SWMBO's is only really interested in the A to B ride but she has a view on colour, price, maintenance, depreciation and importantly how it looks too so it was glaringly obvious to her that the price was just too much for what you get/see. To her it has ugly features and too close to the RR's in price to suffer that failing.

Now that could be an issue as this is the second LR showroom where on stand they have 2 no FFRR at between £85 and £95k, a RRS circa £72 and a near top spec D5 at £75 all bells and whistles. This seems the national set up. As her parting comment "......we don't need 7no seats and why pay top dollar for a car that is in RR territory." Maybe she is not that far off Whistle Perhaps dealers and LR should be more careful at placement of high spec D5's on the showroom floor.
 D3 2.7 Zermatt silver (not another one)
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
D3 2.7 (gone) Tonga Green
D3 4.4 V8 LHD Tonga Green
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #182537911th Jun 2017 3:11 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Well a good indicator of the success of a new motor is its in production sales v old model in production sales is it not Confused

Post #182538111th Jun 2017 3:12 pm
gilmore

England 

Its a bit hard to tell. I think the change in VED will have impacted D5 sales for the first few months of the financial year. It would be interesting to see if sales pick up by September when everyone's got over it.

However, for me, I think they jacked up the prices and screwed up the rear styling so badly, people are going to be buying something else. Quite fancy a Velar. Or a Macan.
regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #182539011th Jun 2017 3:48 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

In the good old days when people actually bought cars, instead of hiring/leasing/pcp, if you could afford such an expensive high end vehicle you didn't worry about the VED, it was just another running cost.

Post #182539211th Jun 2017 4:10 pm
J77

Scotland 

That was when VED was VED and not a tax on the hardworking, who work hard to get the nice things in life, the Government has already had their cut from the purchase of the car but no they ain't happy with that, they want an extra £310 a year.

I'll stick with my £280 a year rather than £450 for the same car.

Anyway back on topic, price can't be that bad as most D5s that have been sold are £60k upwards. So I don't think its price thats putting people off. There is still a lot customers waiting for their cars, ordering now it will be into September before you will get it.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #182541911th Jun 2017 4:47 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

From those figures would look like everyone is rushing to buy a F Pace instead of a Discovery Whistle
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #182555211th Jun 2017 9:47 pm
Phil B

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It amazes me how fellow LR owners will find any opportunity to hate on the D5. The data tells you nothing about the trend in D5 sales. The whole car market is down yoy because of the VED changes and general economic slowdown. Most (if not all) manufacturers are experiencing the same thing. I'd be more interested in D5 sales vs LR's plan, and against its peer group. That would tell a more valuable tale. Anyway, it doesn't bother me - I'm delighted with my D5 - it's a cracking vehicle, whether you like the rear or not.
 Java TDV6 HSE with Alpaca and a few other fancy bits
BMW C1 200 with too many options to list and the world's worst image 

Post #182557011th Jun 2017 10:36 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Does that mean there is a huge market in the sub-£40k Range? Whistle
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #182560512th Jun 2017 6:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jimbg

United Kingdom 

It is certainly a lot larger than above!!

Post #182563112th Jun 2017 8:26 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Phil B wrote:
It amazes me how fellow LR owners will find any opportunity to hate on the D5.

I don't hate it at all Rolling Eyes I'm merely making an observation....no matter what has happened in the market, as those factors will apply to all models, it's hard not to recognise the negative sales %age for the D5 against the rest of the range ...Mays sales are 1,300 units down on Aprils...Why is this? was my original question.

Post #182563712th Jun 2017 8:43 am
Dexter

Scotland 

Up to now when a new Discovery model / facelift was launched I'd be busting a gut to get one, anyway possible. For whatever reasons I don't have that feeling just now for the D5, maybe it's my time of life, price, looks, functionality or whatever but atm I'm really pleased that I have a 2016 D4 and full warranty for another 2 years before thinking about changing.

I don't 'hate' the D5 or even strongly dislike the looks but it doesn't have the pull for me that D2, D3 and D4 all did at launch.

I'm sure there are more like me and this will reflect in the demand for the D5 just now, albeit in a small way. I'm sure sales will come round in time, the more common they become seen on the roads.

Dex

Post #182564112th Jun 2017 9:07 am
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I'm still lurking, Having not bought a D5 myself instead i've opted for a Touareg i wonder how many other people are doing the same thing. I've had LR's now for over 20 Years but no matter who i speak to theyr'e seems to be inherrant issues with most of the brand.

We have gone through 3 FFRR Autobiography's at work in less than 12 Months. Each had issues and all came back from the dealers with more problems than they went in with.

SALES, In answer to DG's original question. I noticed when buying my VW that they had pre registered a lot of veh's before the hike in VED expecting buyers to purchase these in favour of the higher VED band, most manufacturers with big oil burning engines must have done the same thing, so that skewed the previous months figures for the good but will knock on the following months. There's a new Touareg due out on October built on the new chassis shared with the Bentley Bentayga, so that was affecting their selling of a soon to be outdated model.

So i bought a pre registed top spec VW with £12.5K Discount. As for the D5, people dont like change, and as said the more mainstream they get the more desireable they will become. For me having been bitten badly with my previous purchasing experience i think i'll be staying away from LR for a while.
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #182564812th Jun 2017 9:26 am
Phil B

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Personally, a sales slowdown might prove to be a good thing. The dealers need to get used to selling cars, not taking orders. This might separate the wheat from the chaff - there is a lot of variability in the ownership experience right now because of varying dealer quality.
 Java TDV6 HSE with Alpaca and a few other fancy bits
BMW C1 200 with too many options to list and the world's worst image 

Post #182565412th Jun 2017 10:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >