Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Road Trip 17 ...... Continues 🇮🇸🇸🇪
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 26 <123 ... 242526>
Down&Dirty

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Have a good trip Thumbs Up
Always love to follow your threads when your of out and about on your road trips Laughing
 MY24 Defender 90 X-Dynamic HSE
MY18 Disco 5 HSE Santorini Black Now Gone. 

Post #183124227th Jun 2017 7:32 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

My first frites stop on the trip. All was going to plan until wifey in cafe said no frites until 11am!!! Big Cry Big Cry

Never mind, baguette with Brie & ham will just have to do. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Post #183139228th Jun 2017 9:47 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Well, just under 600 miles done today, a lot of it in heavy rain. The rest seems like an endless succession of Autobahns, with a combo of roadworks, traffic jams and, where's traffic was flowing freely, the usual kamikasi German drivers trying to use The Force to get me out of the way when I was overtaking trucks. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I had to divert south of the route I had planned due to a big delay around Kassel so Leipzig hotel got binned and it also meant I hadn't looked at any campsites along the A4. Now tucked up in a nice cheap Ibis Budget for not too much more than camping.

Click image to enlarge

Tomorrow off to hotel in Warsaw, might go via Stallagluft III (think Great Escape) but that adds 50 miles onto an existing 500 mile haul. Will decide at the very last moment, as usual. Whistle

Oh, and if anyone finds a RHS foglight surround somewhere between Coquelles and Dortmund, it's mine. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #183159928th Jun 2017 6:48 pm
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Del I don't want to be temping fate for you here but what do you have in place for breakdowns and such ? Do you have a set plan or does it depend on whats wrong and the country you are in ?
 The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the best of everything they have. 

Post #183161128th Jun 2017 7:13 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Full all singing and all dancing AA annual cover through Eurotunnel. Never go across the Channel without it, it's a LR after all. Besides if I have it I won't need it, if I don't I surely will. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

The only time I get a little nervious is when I see "No Service" on the iPhone, or I've just travelled up a track for a few miles that I know a recovery truck is not going to get down.

Post #183161528th Jun 2017 7:18 pm
Phil

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Whilst I was working in Poland I visited Stallag III and it is worth it for the experience, there are 2 places, the exhibition/recreated camp area and the original tunnels/camp which is about 300 meters further down the road also another place is Gross Rosen (hard labour camp) which is about 30-40 miles before Wroclaw, another one worth a visit. Very sobering but worth it if you have the time.
 Disco 5, it's not every man's desire, but a connoisseurs choice Smile  
Post #183173028th Jun 2017 10:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

I might do those on next trip. It turns a 500 mile day into a 600 mile day, plus it's due to be crappy weather. Sad

Post #183176729th Jun 2017 6:05 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Shhhhhhh, don't tell SWMBO. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

I think I deserve it after driving through more rain than I saw in all of last year. Big Cry Big Cry

Post #183186729th Jun 2017 11:17 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Well that was 2 days I don't want to repeat. From first night in Germany to Warsaw to here in Riga, most of it was in atrocious weather, i.e. torrential rain and strong winds. Hotel in Warsaw was good as it had decent fast Wi-Fi so I can download all the music that my iPhone I've managed to lose. I fiddled with the settings change and managed to lose every single piece of Apple Music. Luckily got it all back so bangin toonz are back in business.

Will I have this way again to Finland? No. Two days of a combination of brillant roads with appalling drivers and normal roads with lots of trucks and campervan convoys doing 35mph. 80% of those days was driving in torrential rain and it's made me realise the sensible option would've been to get the ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki. Two days drive to Stockholm and overnight ferry and I would have been in Finland this morning, and probably pitched up at a lake with a fire going and watching the fish jump.

I'm not sure who I want to insult more, German drivers on autobahns or Polish drivers on their motorways. They are both absolute lunatics and believe the only place you should be is out of the way, even if you're overtaking a lorry and doing 75 miles an hour the time. To those drivers that think the fast lane of a two lane motorway has enough room for me and them I have two words. It doesn't! How I didn't end up with somebody smashed into the back of me yesterday and the day before I have no idea.

Anyway, rant over. View from my boudoir is of a railway marshalling yard and dock cranes. Luckily good AC so window is shut.

Click image to enlarge

Heading off tomorrow at 7:30ish, 4 hour drive to Tallinn with plenty of time for the 14:30 ferry to Helsinki. Bit of a drive to get to the start of Via Karellia then trip starts proper with a spot of wild camping. And hopefully better weather!!!

Right, I know I said this was going to be a dry trip but somehow a couple of cheeky cans of Estella managed to stow away in my Engel, they are about to be found and severely punished/drunk (delete as appropriate). Whistle

Post #183224730th Jun 2017 5:32 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Well earned I think!

The road hogs sound like a nightmare but all part of the adventure Laughing

Keep the updates coming!
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #183224930th Jun 2017 5:35 pm
jambo27

United Kingdom 

Ah the joys of Polish motorways - I sympathise with you. They are crazy enough in the dry but the weather here has been terrible last couple of days anf after 3 weeks of no rain and 25+ temps everywhere is dry and solid so water is just running off all the fields rather than soaking in. General rules/things you should know for driving in Poland -
1. Speed limit on motorway is 140kph which means average probably 160-170kph
2. Indicators are completely optional on Polish cars, as is chrckingbhe rear view and wing mirrors before pulling out to overtake a lorry.
3. On a normal road most drivers beleive in an invisible overtaking lane straddling the middle of the road.
4. All drivers believe when they use this "special" lane all on coming cars will automatically take avoiding action and drive up the grass verge to avoid you.
5. Red traffic lights mean accelerate as fast as you can towards the lights so you can be first in line when they go green.
6. Driving on the rear bumper of the car infront as it passes a lorry will magically make the car disappear and allow them to complete the overtake - flashing headlights and hand signals are optional extras in this manouvere.
7. Roundabouts are rare in Poland so lane discipline where they do occur is horrendous.
8 most drivers think the lines in car parks are just a guide as to where to park. Most drivers will ignore them completely.

There are many more but I don't want to bore you.

With regards ferries a cheaper option maybe to drive to Gdansk and take the ferry to Helsinki from there but that would mean braving the Polish roads again.

Post #183227430th Jun 2017 6:49 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

^^^^^^ That about sums up my experiences!! Laughing Laughing And re weather, I should have gone a week earlier. Big Cry Big Cry

Will look at other options for next jolly, just got to get to Tallinn and my ferry then the trip begins properly. Well it will when I see my first reindeer. Mr. Green

Post #183228630th Jun 2017 7:12 pm
spikekellyrm

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Bring on the inspiration del Thumbs Up
 D4.5 Facelift, Lazer ST4, Prospeed underbody and rack, IID BT, Compomotive/BFG KO2, Series MFlaps, RAI, Dog Gd+XBB, Alive Tuned, T-Max/YellowTop, RemoteFBH, GlassesMod, WheelWinchMod, Jack Mod, LED Mods, Seized Crank Mod....  
Post #183231430th Jun 2017 9:38 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Well as you peeps can see, the weather's the same old same old. Last night SWMBO suggested keeping the window closed for train noise but didn't think ships docked at night. Well there are 2 of them there now. Shocked Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Glympse link for today: https://glympse.com/019C-91BQ?utm_source=h...ign=invite Thumbs Up

PS and whoever thought having English only on the automated pumps was a good idea, I almost put mobile phone credit in the car. My Latvian was deffo not up to scratch!!! Sad

Post #18323441st Jul 2017 5:17 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #18323471st Jul 2017 7:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 26 <123 ... 242526>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >