DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

D4 charging querie
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
D4 charging querie

Right, where to start? What is the normal charging regime for a 11MY D4? If car hasn't been used much, starts higher (14.simething V) and drops down, sometimes as low as 11.8V if on a super long trip. Is this normal? I was getting concerned at the very low V numbers but the red light didn't come on and she didn't grind to a halt.

Now fast forward to today. After 400 miles, following 9 days at ~500 miles a day so pretty full battery, the volts were at 14.2 - 14.3V and didn't drop. Was a wee bit concerned re this and was watching it closely (nothing else to do on long drive), thought this wasn't right and did a BMS reset. This immediately meant the alternator was putting out 12.0V that gradually climbed up to 12.8V, more "normal".

What was going on and was resetting the BMS the right thing to do? Still getting to grips with the difference between the D3 & D4. All a bit complicated. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #184113426th Jul 2017 5:24 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is 13 model year, and after a few days standing it's at 12.0 on the cheap plug in volt meter I leave in the accessory socket.

My sockets are permanently live, as is my Blackvue which is powered through a power monitor. After a couple of days, the camera shuts off because the power monitor thinks the battery is getting too low.

When it's in this state, waking the car up drops the volts to about 11.0. During the start cycle it drops momentarily to 10.x but as soon as the engine starts it rapidly climbs. After a couple of minutes when the air is cool it climbs to anything between 14.5 and 15.9 volts. More likely to see over 15 in the winter when it's colder. Use of heated things like screens seats etc drops it a little but it stays over 13 all the time.

I know my battery is original and probably past its best, but it's never given an error or failed to start and I've never reset anything.

I thought you were only supposed to reset the BMS if you replaced the battery?

Post #184114126th Jul 2017 5:45 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Sorry meant to say that on long runs it's mostly at 13.8 to 14.5 depending on what's running.

Post #184114226th Jul 2017 5:47 pm
TigerRecovery

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Modern Land Rover and Jaguar vehicles run a Battery Monitoring System to allow them to smart charge the battery, this means that most of the time the battery is charged to about 80% capacity. This is to reduce the strain on the alternator as it doesn't have to charge it fully. Also means that it's not wasting energy charging a battery that doesn't really need it.

When the conditions change, such as outside temperature, lighting, heated seats, screens etc, it will modify the charging profile to compensate.
 1972 Range Rover Classic 2 door V8
2013 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SCRAPPED
2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 Landmark
2022 Volvo XC40 T5 PHEV 282HP FWD 3 cylinder! 

Post #184114526th Jul 2017 5:54 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Agreed re BMS after charging but figured after 4,500 miles in 9 days it should be full to bursting. Batt is a fairly new (8 months old) Excide AGM battery. It was a bit worrying at first seeing 11.8v when it first occurred, but it didn't seem to cause any problems, saw that regularly on Road Trip, The Rescue. It was just seeing 400 miles of unchanging 14.2/14.3v that was unusual. Hence thought do a BMS reset, which put things back to normal.

I did think "what's the worst that can happen?". Laughing Laughing

Post #184114726th Jul 2017 5:54 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Gareth wrote:
Sorry meant to say that on long runs it's mostly at 13.8 to 14.5 depending on what's running.

Confused Confused I see typically a lot lower. Also use cheap ciggie socket voltmeter but it pretty much agrees with what the IID tells me. Confused

Post #184114826th Jul 2017 5:56 pm
TigerRecovery

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

DSL wrote:
Agreed re BMS after charging but figured after 4,500 miles in 9 days it should be full to bursting. Batt is a fairly new (8 months old) Excide AGM battery. It was a bit worrying at first seeing 11.8v when it first occurred, but it didn't seem to cause any problems, saw that regularly on Road Trip, The Rescue. It was just seeing 400 miles of unchanging 14.2/14.3v that was unusual. Hence thought do a BMS reset, which put things back to normal.

I did think "what's the worst that can happen?". Laughing Laughing

It will only charge to 80% of max capacity though, the voltage shows this. With regards to the reading, we regularly see that on cars in work, and it could be due to the contacts in the tool. I know I was concerned on my van when the radio (it displays voltage on startup) was only showing 10V, I cleaned the contacts on the battery and that's now up to 14V when running.
 1972 Range Rover Classic 2 door V8
2013 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SCRAPPED
2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 Landmark
2022 Volvo XC40 T5 PHEV 282HP FWD 3 cylinder! 

Post #184115026th Jul 2017 6:00 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

How do I access the secret squirrel menu on the D4 to get what the car thinks the voltage is? I did compare the ciggie lighter readout and what the IID saw and they were pretty much the same. Confused

Post #184115226th Jul 2017 6:03 pm
Dudleydisco

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

The IID and the ciggie lighter should agree as you've found. As Tiger says, the BMS will only charge the battery to 75-80%. It doesn't charge to 100% because it wants to leave some battery capacity for energy recovery!

Try travelling at 60 and then take your foot off the accelerator and see what happens to the voltage. On mine, it will slowly increase to about 14.5v and stay there until I touch the accelerator. Once I do, it'll drop back down to about 12v, assuming that my battery is 80% SOC or over.
 D4 MY14 XXV - RLD/IID BT
D4 MY13 HSE Lux - RLD/IID BT
P38 RR - Sad parting
110 - Even sadder parting
S3 88" - Still going strong after 23 years of ownership Smile

Post #184116626th Jul 2017 7:23 pm
BAZ8046

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I have had this issue with my MY16 D4.
I use a plug in volt meter to keep an eye on the battery and charge rate.
The first time I noticed it had dropped down to 11.8v I was convinced it was about to break down.
I've noticed it a few times since over the last six months and the car has never presented any issues.
In the end I just put it down to the BMS system as each time the battery has been in a good state of charge.
Hopefully it's not a fault!
 D4 2016 Landmark, Waitomo Grey.
D3 2005 HSE, Bonatti Grey, now sold but still comes back for servicing.
Defender 2002 Td5 Commercial, had a hard life but slowly being restored.
I only work so I can afford to repair my Land Rovers! 

Post #184121226th Jul 2017 9:38 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Del ... are you just looking for things to worry about ? is there actually an issue ???

Post #184121326th Jul 2017 9:48 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Dudleydisco wrote:
The IID and the ciggie lighter should agree as you've found. As Tiger says, the BMS will only charge the battery to 75-80%. It doesn't charge to 100% because it wants to leave some battery capacity for energy recovery!

Try travelling at 60 and then take your foot off the accelerator and see what happens to the voltage. On mine, it will slowly increase to about 14.5v and stay there until I touch the accelerator. Once I do, it'll drop back down to about 12v, assuming that my battery is 80% SOC or over.

This is interesting. I have noticed this exact behaviour on longer runs, and like you I had reckoned it to be part of the smart charging and energy recovery strategy. However, I've not seen it happen for quite some time now. So maybe an early sign of the battery getting tired is the loss of this smart charge function? I keep a volt meter in all the time, so it's easy to monitor.

Post #184121426th Jul 2017 9:53 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Hardware17 wrote:
Del ... are you just looking for things to worry about ? is there actually an issue ???

Only noticed coz the voltage stayed so unusually high (unusual for my car), was wondering if the reset routine after a couple of edits to my CCF had done something funny to the BMS. It was as if the alternator had just reverted back to becoming a "dumb" alternator.

Just getting to know the new girl like I knew Dark Bluie, with her I knew what she would do before she did. Well apart from the last bit. Sad

Post #184124527th Jul 2017 5:50 am
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I thought one of the features of the "smart" alternator was to provide multi stage charging of the battery, in order to increase battery lifespan.

Once fully charged a lead acid battery will last longer if it's kept at a float charge of about 13.7 volts, rather than over charging at 14.5 or 14.7 volts.

I could be completely wrong though - it has been known Thumbs Up
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #184203729th Jul 2017 12:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >