Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

women n D3s
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
PaulnhisGirls

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
women n D3s

I don't mean to sound sexist cos I'm not but on a trip to and from catterick garrison this week I past umpteen D3s, in the hope that my shiney disco3 sticker was gonna Be spotted I looked in vain for a similar shiney sticker, what I did see in the 15 or so D3s were women driver, leather gloves, big winter coats and kids heading for school! most of these cars shone like bright new pins and had never seen or will ever see Mud! and this was north yorkshire, I'm not saying that woman can't use D3s as they should because My Girls keep me well n truelly grounded there, but I have to think 'no wonder we get such bad press with the school run mob'

discuss!

Post #22692722nd Nov 2007 11:08 pm
garryc

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have a neighbor who has just retired from his Service station with mechanical and smash repair shop. He said his insurance company would not let him test repaired vehicles at school drop off and pick up times because of the "Mad Mums" and their driving habits Very Happy I recently had one of "them" change lanes across the front of me in her shiny new Prado. It put a scuff mark on my front offside mudguard moulding but ripped her rear one off and split the rear bumper. Oh what a feeling, Toyo plastics Laughing
 2013 D4, E-diff, Vision pack

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #22697523rd Nov 2007 5:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
XX03

United Kingdom 

PaulnhisGirls

Would it have been better if the 15 or so D3's you saw were driven by men......

The bad press and other remarks will continue until people start to look in the direction of "If you choose to spend YOUR money on a vehicle like a D3, spend YOUR money on fuel, spend YOUR money on high vehicle excise duty". Because after all it is YOUR money and YOUR choice.......Male or Female, professional use or recreation use, mud or tarmac.

This is only my opinion, my vehicle has not yet seen any good mud and its now 14 months old.

I think as you rightly said there is alot of bad press and comments made about this type of vehicle, and maybe bad comments for D3's are not the place here on a dedicated D3 forum, It only adds fuel to the already burning fire.

This is only my opinion. No offence made to your personal views....

Post #22698523rd Nov 2007 8:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I agree with Blakey Thumbs Up Folks should concentrate more on the fact that children are being driven the 250yrds to school rather than what they are being driven in. For every 4x4 there are 10 Ford Fiestas, Focus' and Fuchxall Astras ...but these are always somehow overlooked Evil or Very Mad

Get children walking again I say Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #22698823rd Nov 2007 8:33 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

is that on the national curriculum then?
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #22698923rd Nov 2007 8:35 am
PaulnhisGirls

Yeah I'd agree with that DG get the kids walking to school, I guess I didn't explain myself properly, I can only say that I'm glad that the Abraham battle tank isn't freely available for sale to the public, the conception that the D3 is more of a family armoured personnel carrier for the kids and not a vehicle for beyond the tarmac is I think a double edge sword. L.R need to sell these cars to the ex BMW/Merc drivers and Blakey in order to invest in newer models for those of us that actually use them and I'm grateful, truelly grateful, but the other side to the same sword is that the cries of "Get Chelsea tractors off the road" and "Yes Gordon Increase Road Tax on 4X4's with our Blessing" affects us all.
I thought I'd explained that I have no problem with women driving D3's, it's just that those I witnessed yesterday in the fur coats and leather gloves have and never will be using them for what they are actually designed for and capable of, Invariably they have them as a safe means of transport or a form of status symbol and I think it's a shame and a waste of a very capable vehicle, if it's a safe second car for the offspring that's required Renault do a great range of very safe cars, if you do feel a need to have any 4x4 then please 'get it dirty' you kids will love you for it, it will broaden their horizons and more than likely yours and they might even get to see the countryside up close!!!! and I'm in danger of being branded a heretic or a witch here but....................................................Risk is good! and mud is lovely!
Like I said it's a dichotomy on one hand I want the higher sales figures to help with R&D and My future enjoyment but on the other it makes me sad to see so many cars being underused and feeding the anti 4x4 lobby with ammunition.

Just an opinion don't hang me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #22704723rd Nov 2007 10:59 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

At the risk of appearing as a greenie (gods forbid & may they stike me down!!), in my day you walked if it was less than 2 miles, otherwised you used the "school bus". A weird concept but our estate used to pack out a double decker, now it will be about 70 car trips from there! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #22705823rd Nov 2007 11:09 am
chrisb

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I have a company car and the Disco, so it is Mrs Chrisb who is usually seen behind the wheel. I like to keep the Disco nice and shiny, as I think it looks great when its really clean.

Ours does see lots of mud, and I also use it regualarly to tow 2.5 / 3 tonnes of equipment round.

Mrs Chrisb isn't overly impressed if I don't hand it back to her on nice and clean, although she did find some comments amusing when she took it to Sainsburies straight after the Tong Pay and Play day Laughing

Post #22706823rd Nov 2007 11:17 am
PaulnhisGirls

Chrisb.......would you be a shining or not so shining example of my argument ??? Laughing

Post #22707123rd Nov 2007 11:20 am
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
At the risk of appearing as a greenie

Too late now, you've said it..... Rolling with laughter You'll be dreaming of Toyota Priuses (pl. Prions - or are they what give you mad cow disease?) next. Shocked
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #22707523rd Nov 2007 11:29 am
chrisb

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Both Very Happy

Post #22707623rd Nov 2007 11:30 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I don't have as problem with people not using 4x4's 'off road' People have thier choice in everything & I think there are just as many drivers (male or female) who exhibit these poor driving traits regardless of what car they drive.

I know people who have some very high powered sports cars, but they don't race them around Silverstone. I know others who have rally style cars & some of them don't even know what the WRC is!

Personally, I prefer to use my 4x4 on and off road, it is one of the reasons why I bought the Disco. BUT I almost bought an ML/Q7/X5 and for sure I would never have taken them anywhere other than tarmac (perhaps a muddy field once a year.)

If LR didn't sell to the masses, they would either a) go bust b) not have enoiugh sales to make the initial technology outlay in designing a world beating car c) end up like all the other great British brands.......
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #22707723rd Nov 2007 11:30 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

The best solution is not to let women drive, there would be no risk of false perceptions.

Only joking of course ................. Whistle

Post #22708023rd Nov 2007 11:35 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

PaulnhisGirls wrote:
...never will be using them for what they are actually designed for and capable of
I suspect LR designed them for on road use as much as off road The End  
Post #22708123rd Nov 2007 11:35 am
PaulnhisGirls

Slimer................................My point exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! use em for both?????????[/quote]

Post #22708323rd Nov 2007 11:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >