Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Sad goodbye to the green oval badge.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bigcat8810

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Sad goodbye to the green oval badge.

After 17 years of Landie ownership, 2 Defenders, 2 Range Rovers, 3 Range Rover Sports and a wonderful D3, I now find myself without any Land Rovers! I've had good ones and bad ones but cannot imagine I'll last long without one of these beasts back outside the front door.

With the exception of my Defender 110 300Tdi, the D3 I've just sold was the best of the bunch, comfortable, capable, nice to drive and perhaps the most practical car i've ever owned.

Thanks to all on this forum, its been great for everything from sourcing my D3, finding the genius that is Geoff, helping sort out niggles along the way and at times some good entertainment.

A fantastic resource for anyone with a D3 or D4 I wish you all well and might well be back at some point when the soul-less BMW 3 series I'm driving now gets on my tits too much.

Happy motoring all.
 ----------------------------------------
D3 TDV6 HSE Silver/Black
D3 TDV6 HSE Black/Tan (Gone)
RRS TDV8 Black/Black (Gone)
RRS TDV8 Stornaway (Gone)
RR Vogue TDV8 (Gone)
RRS 4.4V8 (Gone)
Defender 110 300tdi (Stolen, much missed)
RR Vogue V8 P38 (Gone)
LR 90 TD (Gone) 

Post #185039423rd Aug 2017 5:04 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up

You won't last long without a Land Rover!
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #185044623rd Aug 2017 6:54 pm
Bigcat8810

RR, I suspect you might be right!!
D3 TDV6 HSE Silver/Black
RR Vogue TDV8 (Gone)
RRS 4.4V8 (Gone)
RR Vogue V8 P38 (Gone)
LR 90 TD (Gone) 

Post #185064324th Aug 2017 11:15 am
anglefire

England 

I went from a D3 to a 530D - I wouldn't say it was soleless - but I would say its small!

Claimed 5 seater - but the middle one is not comfortable for anything other than short journeys - luckily I don't ever sit on it!

Boot is big - but nothing like the D3.

Hate the run flats and having no spare - the hole is filled with battery so can't even have one fitted. And I had a rear tyre go recently - got to a Kwik fit to get a replacement at 5:30 in the evening having driven something like 10miles on a tyre with at best 10psi in it (The edge had failed and had the wires poking out) Tyre weld got it back up to 35psi but you could hear the air coming out.

But I do like the 42mpg though compared to 24.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #185070624th Aug 2017 2:08 pm
Bodstruck

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If it is any consolation, the D3 will be well used and be very much part of the family now I am lucky enough to have it sat on my drive.
Only collected yesterday and already had its first off road outing on the plain and it is taking the family (without me though the sods) up to Brum tomorrow before a cruise back down and a weekends camping.
Buy my Series 3 if you feel you need another landrover Smile

Post #185088224th Aug 2017 10:26 pm
Bigcat8810

Hi Bodstruck, really glad you are enjoying the D3, she was sorely missed in Yorkshire over last few days, although fortunately there was a Range Rover available which I made good use of. The beamer developed a lot of issues on this trip and is already proving to be the pain in the Censored I feared. Best of luck with the D3 and nice to have met you.
D3 TDV6 HSE Silver/Black
RR Vogue TDV8 (Gone)
RRS 4.4V8 (Gone)
RR Vogue V8 P38 (Gone)
LR 90 TD (Gone) 

Post #185189728th Aug 2017 11:31 am
Bigcat8810

Angelfire, I personally do not like this BWM at all. Before my Landie ownership I had several BMW's a mixture of some company cars and some I owned, mostly 3Lt straight six petrols which were super smooth, plenty of power and were designed with the driver in mind. I really enjoyed them (late 90’s early 00’s 3 & 5 series). Also I had 6 BMW’s on the trot, never once had anything go wrong with the exception of an ABS sensor on a 528i which I think cost about £60 to replace back in the day.

This 2012 328i I'm driving is cramped, even for a short Censored like me, can't get left leg comfortable on long trip, ended up hobbling like a 3-legged greyhound after a 6-hour journey & on a long run the seats are not that comfortable!

Some little design flaws really frustrate, the cup holders are a joke, accessible storage for the driver is not optimum (for ciggies, phone & other stuff), the i-drive I detest, the ability to quickly check the oil without a dip-stick seems impossible, unless you can sit there for 10+minutes whilst the dumb i-drive systems tries to figure it out, absolutely ridiculous. I prefer to be able to check a dip stick when I want which should take 90 seconds after a 5 minute stop for fuel and coffee.

The sat-nav to me seems slightly dim witted, a bit slow to provide precise guidance and as usual with BMW’s the standard hi-fi is poor, which seems such a shame when the car would have been £40k ish when new.

But my biggest gripe, for which I am kicking myself, is having purchased a vehicle without a full size spare wheel (in fact mine has no spare at all!). Run flats are ok if you have a failure on a week day morning in a decent size town, you can get a tyre replaced. However, on a Sunday evening, bank holiday weekend in middle of Yorkshire Dales with a 300-mile journey ahead they are simply not practical and in my opinion no car should be on the road without a full-size spare.

Up to last week I’ve not taken her on a journey greater than 90 minutes, so it is a but plastic inside, but short journeys she has been ok but after a long trip I have grown to detest this car and the dash now lights up like a Christmas tree with 8 different fault warnings including driver stability systems not working, the cruise control does not work, it seems to think there is a tyre problem but can't tell me which one (and all seemed ok when checked pressures 4 times during the journey) and the car wants to go to the nearest service centre!

As per my original post, I already miss my Landie’s for all their faults and ability to empty my wallet, but don’t think this BMW is going to be with me for long.
D3 TDV6 HSE Silver/Black
RR Vogue TDV8 (Gone)
RRS 4.4V8 (Gone)
RR Vogue V8 P38 (Gone)
LR 90 TD (Gone) 

Post #185190828th Aug 2017 12:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >