Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

National Trust
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
National Trust

Been a member for many years and think membership (around £100/year for us both) is something of a bargain as SWMBO and myself going to 3-4, max, places a year covers membership and we have loads round here we often just 'pop into' now and again (mostly for gardens and walks on repeat visits).

However a lot recently in the press about 'PC issues' with the kerfuffle on seemingly 'need' to out homosexuals and the trans-brigade right-on Censored really Censored me off reading it all.

However it was some of the numbers they themselves quoted that shocked me

2.22m members
£51.5m in legacies in 2016 (which they spent £632k touting for, not a bad return....)
£178m in membership fees income
£552m total income in 2016
operating margin 17.9% - not too shabby at all

However it was the volume of volunteers they have - 65,000 at last count. Assume they all work, say 5 hours a week for 30 weeks of the year would equate to 9.75m man hours a year.

Even at 'minimum wage' of £7.50 hour that's over £73m of 'saved wages'???

Know it's all hypothetical but got me thinking that's all in light of all the bad press - don't think they should be poking the snake-pit with a stick personally Wink

Post #186228927th Sep 2017 12:52 pm
Sea Raider

The Scottish arm tried to use bully boy tactics recently after they decided to trade mark places of beauty and threatened a small local business with legal action all because he manufactures jackets with the name Glencoe, as he has been doing for several years.
Eventually backed down.

Shower of anchors with a not so silent W

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/06...g-glencoe/

Post #186230727th Sep 2017 1:44 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The National Trust has gone to pot. They're supposed to maintain historical buildings and artefacts, to preserve our heritage, but all they're really interested in now is eco-nature projects, they're embarrassed to preserve the past of our aristocracy and they've taken to ramming PC, diversity waffle down people's throats and lowest common denominator dumbing down of information in the name of "accessibility" and "inclusiveness". Rolling Eyes
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #186231427th Sep 2017 2:27 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My late wifes great aunt left her country cottage complete with pristine walled garden on the Isle of Wight to the National Trust to spite her remaining family Rolling Eyes The cottage had some historical interest as the location was mentioned in the Doomsday Book, this was about 12 years ago and basically they haven't done a thing with it since it was left to them. The ravages of time have taken their toll on the cottage and part of the roof has now collapsed and the totally overgrown walled garden is minus most of its walls now! I know they have much more important properties to look after but why couldn't they have sold the cottage and used the funds to take care of other properties. At the time of her death the property was valued at £950000, I very much doubt they would get a fraction of that now for the derelict shell of a building that is left but I'm not really sure they are bothered as nobody from the trust has been to view the cottage since it was left to them. Evil or Very Mad
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #186233627th Sep 2017 3:27 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

My wife has just left the NT after quite a long employment.

She started as a volunteer at Lyme Park and really enjoyed it. So much so that she kept her eye out for a paid position, duly applied and got the job.

After a few years of happy times, she left Lyme and moved to a better job at Quarry Bank mill. If anyone had done a tour of the mill or the Apprentice house the chances are it was Wendy's tour.

Anyhow long story short she was encouraged to go for a promotion, and they messed her about terribly with indecision and bad communication, which resulted in her first being denied an interview, followed by a phone call whilst we were on holiday granting her an interview. They interviewed her having built her hopes up then gave the job to another person.

She decided that the management were not doing a good job, and left.

Having said all that, she's now doing great with her own re-upholstering business, so it's probably for the best. Thumbs Up

Post #186241427th Sep 2017 7:09 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

D3 seat repairs?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #186244527th Sep 2017 8:02 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Not her target market, but she did advise me on fitting new foams and covers to my Defender! To be honest, it was dead easy to fit the new covers, and I suspect any car seat would be the same.

Post #186247327th Sep 2017 8:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >