Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Vehicle Security - Crook Lock?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
muddywheels4wd

England 

I bought the Disklok on recommendation of an ex police friend for my new RRS in 2013 and as others of said used the sock to protect steering wheel - yes it was inconvenient but less than someone nicking my P&J then sorting out insurance especially as it was a discontinued model ie RRS not RRS2 Confused

I also got the storage bag for when not in use Thumbs Up

It didn't fit my DS so I sold it to Bruce (BLF) for his Jag XK which meant I got to meet him Bow down

I didn't bother protecting the OBD because they can get access through components linked to canbus and more likely to exploit the keyless fob security flaw using a booster and receiver "relay" attack - I also bought a cheap faraday pouch for key to defend against this although keeping key in tin at home also works

Despite LR working on a solution for the keyless issue for years Lexus have solved it - I can disable keyless as I leave vehicle simply by holding the lock button on the fob and pressing unlock twice - this sends the keyless system to sleep until I press any button on fob when I return - simples! Thumbs Up

Of course now I have a Mitsubishi and Lexus I sleep a lot better - nobody is going to steal a Mitsy PHEV and the Lexus is pretty rare and bright blue so harder to go unnoticed Laughing
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #18645754th Oct 2017 8:42 am
Peakwayfarer

England 

ecs0set wrote:
Does anyone sell a plate that bolts over the OBD port? I doubt it would deter a determined criminal for long but might just be enough to make them look elsewhere.

My thoughts are the same and ordered one from protectavan, hopefully being fitted shortly as incorrect one supplied to fitter initially

There is further info and pictures on this thread
http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic162590-15.html

Post #18646934th Oct 2017 1:50 pm
Washwipe

England 

This is still happening, no need to use the OPD Port.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-49...INUTE.html

Would be signing up for the group buy of the Disklok if I didn’t have one already.

Post #186854114th Oct 2017 9:35 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Looking at that Daily Mail video there would seem to be a strong case for keeping the keys well away from the vehicle and certainly not downstairs... doesn't say how far that 'amplifier' needs to be to find the keys but that it can transmit the signal '00's of metres...

Worrying.

I have a disklok which I use all the time.

Post #187129423rd Oct 2017 5:53 am
Washwipe

England 

Programme in ITV now regarding cars stolen for parts. Car Crime are you a target?

Post #187273926th Oct 2017 7:36 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

There was something on this a few days ago on the Beeb, they recommended keeping the keys in the fridge to block any amplifier's signal. I'm going to find a decently thick metal box and use that, or a tin box with a few layers of foil. Thumbs Up

Post #187274126th Oct 2017 7:42 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

muddywheels4wd wrote:
I bought the Disklok on recommendation of an ex police friend for my new RRS in 2013 and as others of said used the sock to protect steering wheel - yes it was inconvenient but less than someone nicking my P&J then sorting out insurance especially as it was a discontinued model ie RRS not RRS2 Confused

I also got the storage bag for when not in use Thumbs Up

It didn't fit my DS so I sold it to Bruce (BLF) for his Jag XK which meant I got to meet him Bow down

I didn't bother protecting the OBD because they can get access through components linked to canbus and more likely to exploit the keyless fob security flaw using a booster and receiver "relay" attack - I also bought a cheap faraday pouch for key to defend against this although keeping key in tin at home also works

Despite LR working on a solution for the keyless issue for years Lexus have solved it - I can disable keyless as I leave vehicle simply by holding the lock button on the fob and pressing unlock twice - this sends the keyless system to sleep until I press any button on fob when I return - simples! Thumbs Up

Of course now I have a Mitsubishi and Lexus I sleep a lot better - nobody is going to steal a Mitsy PHEV and the Lexus is pretty rare and bright blue so harder to go unnoticed Laughing

We’ve got two new lexus at our house with the keyless fobs, but, honestly, I used the fob disable on them both about twice.... after that the keys just stay in either my jacket pocket and SWMBO handbag .. without disabling them.

Do you really disable them after every journey??

Post #187274926th Oct 2017 8:10 pm
al cope

England 

excuse the muppetry on my part, but isnt keyless entry only on the very last D4's so isnt an major issue to the majority of us. On my MY16 I still have to press the button on my keyfob, so to my mind this isnt "keyless" entry (unlike my missus renault where you walk up with key in your pocket and just open the door). OK, security is important so I moved the ODB port on mine so it cant be got to if you break the window and with the car deadlocked it would be pretty had to get down to the lower panel.

This also isnt saying that extra security isnt a good idea, just trying to keep some perspective on the issue.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #187282927th Oct 2017 8:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

This only affects people who have keyless entry... I.e. you can walk up to the car with your key in your pocket touch the door handle and it opens. ....

It is incredibly easy to steal one of these vehicles ( of any make) using a rebroadcasting device....
The best way to stop this is to purchase a faraday key pouch....
this attack can be replicated at the gym, golf club, drive way, restaurant etc......so if you leave your keys at the sports club etc then they can steal it!

Post #187283327th Oct 2017 8:30 am
Heath_DA

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I’ve recently bought one of these key pouches from Amazon for less than £6 and it works.
I can approach my car with the keys in my hand and the doors will not open, so its hiding the signal well.
 2016 D4 SDV6 Landmark (Gone)
2013 D4 SDV6 HSE Lux (Gone)
2011 D4 SDV6 HSE (Gone)
2008 D3 HSE (Gone)
2005 D3 HSE (Gone) 

Post #187284327th Oct 2017 8:57 am
Jubbly

United Kingdom 

Or just take the battery out at night?
 Jaguar I-Pace HSE imminent.
Gone HSE with Flappy Paddles. IID BT tool. RLD Spare Protector, Altox GPS.

Post #187302927th Oct 2017 10:04 pm
Keyframe

United Kingdom 

Disclock all the time and an RFID pouch for the keys which are a long way from the front door...

Post #18762736th Nov 2017 4:00 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

tayaste wrote:

Do you really disable them after every journey??

I do - no great inconvenience and easier than the pouch Thumbs Up
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #18763416th Nov 2017 5:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >